Gaggia Classic switch bulb / refurbished switchbank

Gaggia Classics pre 2018 Red neon bulb for switchbank with resistor included (not the cylindrical one but a through hole one).

£2  including 1st class shipping to UK mainland

£18 refurbished switches to exchange your faulty one (no broken switches accepted) including 1st class shipping to UK mainland.

Note it is an exchange service I need a picture of your existing switch to find matching one according to wear. I send that out to you (once payment of £50 cleared). You replace your switch and return the faulty one to me in the same packaging on your own expense (royal mail signed for service £3.90). Once received I refund your £32 deposit.IMG_20191104_214910_HDR.thumb.jpg.9a723ec693deb2188261689380d07b35.jpg

IMG_20191201_024911.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hi, @FairRecycler

I could do with a bulb.

In fact I better have two, one as a spare!

Do we go to messaging?

Thanks

Edited by ratty
for clarity

Separate question, but you might know @FairRecycler. Is there any easy way to repair faded or missing white writing on the switches other than a straight swap? 

This is more a question about restoration but you might know given your work.

Good question @phario

I have never digged into it, my first idea is to 3d print a cover for the individual switches with a cutout for the decals and spray paint it, however it would surely require a great job on preparation (sanding, plastic primer, paith the whole switch black, wait to cure 100% carefully insert the switch to the cover) and apply the white paint in very thin and numerous coats, and obviously apply something to protect it.

I'm not really into paintwork, but it seems to be hard work.

Maybe getting a decent matching colour decal sticker kit made, would be a more feasible task.

I'msure it would be in the interest of many, around the world, it's also an easy and cheap to post item.

1 minute ago, FairRecycler said:

Good question @phario

I have never digged into it, my first idea is to 3d print a cover for the individual switches with a cutout for the decals and spray paint it, however it would surely require a great job on preparation (sanding, plastic primer, paith the whole switch black, wait to cure 100% carefully insert the switch to the cover) and apply the white paint in very thin and numerous coats, and obviously apply something to protect it.

I'm not really into paintwork, but it seems to be hard work.

Maybe getting a decent matching colour decal sticker kit made, would be a more feasible task.

I'msure it would be in the interest of many, around the world, it's also an easy and cheap to post item.

FYI, I believe you can remove the current white paint incredibly easily with a solvent. I did exactly that by accident---cleaning the switches with electrical contact cleaner, got a bit on my hands and smeared the white right off. Kind of crazy how easy it is. I have looked into white permanent pens but even those advertised at 0.5mm are much too thick. 

So the story is that you can probably easily remove the white with a solvent. To label the button, you would either need to have a decal with a cut-out that you can then fill the gaps with a permanent white pen or paint. Or you would need a decal/sticker direct. Not easy. 

I haven't seen anybody ask this question online, either. 

Bulbs arrived, thanks.

Just waiting on the machine arriving now!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

You wouldn't believe it but two machines on the trot had bulbs not working.

So I could do with two more please to have in reserve.

Thanks

ratty

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Excellent, I was going to ask about the dummy resistor, whether this needed replacing with a blank and if you supplied this.

I finished the refurb of my nephews 2012 machine a few weeks ago, thanks to the help provided by many of the forum members. I have obviously talked about this too much as have now been handed another project by a friend with another non working machine. The brew switch felt very "fuzzy" compared to the other two switches and no pump activation when turned on. Inside machine contained a lot of coffee grounds which gave a clue.

Found links to the Naprawa video from @ratty and @L&R, which agree is excellent, also the German article referenced by @jjstorgaard which gave me confidence to open up the switch - it looked like my friend had poured an espresso into the switch. After detail cleaning was hopeful that had solved the problem. Sadly not, the switch now works in terms of contact and pump activation but light is not working. Hence my contact re replacement part. How do we proceed now?

Thanks

Andrew

If you've replaced the bulb and it's still not working although the switch is working correctly and pumping out hot water from the machine, I would recheck your bulb and new wiring replacement, to ensure it is in the correct position to activate the bulb

I have done a couple of replacements and it has taken some multiple tries to get the connection working.

One time the small spring had 'escaped'. After resetting it all worked

Edited by ratty
for clarity
  • Like 1

NB.

It is not easy!

Make sure it's well taped together before taking out central pin. Also be careful removing the end stops, don't break the plastic!

• Like 1

No I have been through that step, would not have managed without the Naprawa video. Didn't actually take the bulb out but completely stripped down brew switch and cleaned thoroughly before reassembly. Switch now operates with satisfying click but when I tested bulb (as per Naprawa video) light not coming on.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, IDREAMOFCOFFEEBEFOREIWAKE said:

does any know how much a pid, pressure gauge and steam wand mod costs on a pre 2015 gaggia please? and who does them. cheers

Hi,

PID is around £100, pressure gauge starting from £25, Rancilio wand around £15. These are prices if you installing them on your own.

I build and upgrade classics, if you provide the machine it would cost around £200 including fully covered 48hrs postage.

Kind regards

Peter

ok cool. is it hard to do yourself? im looking at 3 options atm, iv just purchased a niche, i currently have a delonghi dedica but looking to upgrade, my thinking is buy a cheapsih classic (seen a perfect one for 175) keep as it is for a while, then mod or mod straight away or just good for gas and get a mara X or ECM and be broke for a while and take abuse from the wife lol

Depends on you really, I've part exchanged, brand new dead classic, after the owner attempted to install a PID and blown both the machine and the PID, but it is doable. You have the best chance with @MrShades PID kit. It has a perfectly detailed instruction.

If you do it first time and has no relevant experiences, I would estimate a good full day on installation of PID and pressure gauge thought.

I think both the Mara X and the ECM worth the abuse LOL

I sell fully rebuilt classics with warranty for £200, so £175 for a used one (even if it looks perfect from the outside) doesn't sound appealing to me, however I haven't checked prices recently.

OK, are these rebuilt with decent steam wand and is the front of the steel casing in good nick, the wife would not like a crap case. If I was to buy one from you, would do a decent looking one, with mods for decent price? If its too high I might just go full on with mara, let us know buddy. And thanks for feedback, very good of you. 

On 22/09/2020 at 07:08, IDREAMOFCOFFEEBEFOREIWAKE said:

OK, are these rebuilt with decent steam wand and is the front of the steel casing in good nick, the wife would not like a crap case. If I was to buy one from you, would do a decent looking one, with mods for decent price? If its too high I might just go full on with mara, let us know buddy. And thanks for feedback, very good of you. 

You're better off with an older (pre 2015) one than you are with a new one really - especially when you consider what else you can do with the £200 difference

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

coffee-subscription-mini.png

Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo