JakeHendy

Hello from Devon!

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I’ve been lurking around here on and off for a few weeks now as I’ve been instructed by my loving girlfriend to find some kit to be gifted for Christmas and what a fantastic treasure trove I have stumbled upon 🙂

I started off using a cafetière and grinds from the supermarket when I was a wee teen, graduating to the “nicer” instant coffees (Starbucks VIA was pretty good...) for work, and then someone switch an Aeropress told me I should get one and 3 presses later here I am!

I used to buy coffee from Whittard’s ground to buy for the AeroPress but couldn’t always get in to town to buy a top up, so popped a cheap Goodmorn grinder in my Amazon basket and tried grinding at home. I had moderate success (despite the cats objections and hurried scurrying away from the noise) but I want _more_. 
I’ve decided to look at getting a good grinder before an espresso machine (or even bean to cup) because I can still use that with my AeroPress or cafetière.

I’m super tempted by the sage grinder pro with its fancy screen and adjustable dials but it still seems a bit on the large side. I also noted some of the manual rotary grinders too that seem to get good reviews (alas I can’t remember the name now) which could be just what I need. Or so I think. I pop on here and then change my mind :)

A pre-emptive thanks to everyone here, it seems like a great community full of knowledge sharing! 

I look forward to lurking once again later,

jake

Welcome to the forum - nice intro!

There are lots of excellent manual grinders out there. MBK, Lido, Kinu, Commandante, and some new ones just appearing on the market. I have an Mk1  MBK Feldrind and it's a joy to use. Plus you can take it on holiday!

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Echoing the above, nice intro and welcome.

If you planning on sticking with brew not espresso for a while then a Wilfa Svart may also fit your needs / worth consideration (you would be horrified to note the size of most other grinders people use on here compared to what you looking at already) and would leave you a few pennies for beans :)

Hand grinders have the advantage of portability / being able to put in a drawer and if chosen wisely (think of the std mentioned above or better) could serve you for espresso as well in the future, just bear in mind its your arm powering the grinder.

Best of

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..