Polly

Kaffelogic Nano 7

For those that have taken the plunge and imported a Nano 7 from NZ, it is heartening to hear that someone came second in the Coffee Snob's Golden Bean Home Roasters Competition, Espresso Class,  using the Ninja profile as supplied with the machine.

The competitor was Mark - "bruiserbbq" as you will see in the results sheet below.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-news/52990-home-coffee-roaster-competition-2019-a.html#post664702

Shame there isn't an importer of these as they do sound like an interesting product. I would love to roast my own beans but the information on lower end roasters is so variable. Some claim to get amazing results from the Gene Cafe and others seem to really struggle.

4 hours ago, mctrials23 said:

Shame there isn't an importer of these as they do sound like an interesting product.

These days importing is easy for private users. Just know you will be taken for 'import duty' at +20% on the NZ/Au  purchase price.  Shipping for mine was around £50.  NZ and Oz suppliers here https://kaffelogic.com/index.php/home/buy-now

As for the Gene - without any process control  - it really must be useless.  I'm fussing over power inputs of a few percent to get my Yirgacheffe even better. There is no way on this earth a Gene could get close to following a profile the way the Kaffelogic does. I fail to understand the Gene's popularity.

Edited by Polly

3 hours ago, Polly said:

These days importing is easy for private users. Just know you will be taken for 'import duty' at +20% on the NZ/Au  purchase price.  Shipping for mine was around £50.  NZ and Oz suppliers here https://kaffelogic.com/index.php/home/buy-now

As for the Gene - without any process control  - it really must be useless.  I'm fussing over power inputs of a few percent to get my Yirgacheffe even better. There is no way on this earth a Gene could get close to following a profile the way the Kaffelogic does. I fail to understand the Gene's popularity.

From the figures available the overall cost of one of these is approx £800, £625 + 20% + delivery.

That's twice the price of a Gene Cafe which has twice the capacity. AFAIK many users are happy with the roasts they get from it. Perhaps that explains their popularity?

Kaffelogic should be available in UK stores sometime in 2020. In the meantime they can indeed to purchased direct from NZ being the best bet. An email to the company will steer you in the right direction of a retailer who is set up to export. 

And Kaffelogic is chalk and cheese when compared with Gene Cafe, a more direct comparison is with Ikawa but at a fraction of the price.  Kaffelogic is a true plug and play option which opens the world of in home coffee roasting up to novices and professional alike.

4 minutes ago, John Robson said:

Kaffelogic should be available in UK stores sometime in 2020. In the meantime they can indeed to purchased direct from NZ being the best bet. An email to the company will steer you in the right direction of a retailer who is set up to export. 

And Kaffelogic is chalk and cheese when compared with Gene Cafe, a more direct comparison is with Ikawa but at a fraction of the price.  Kaffelogic is a true plug and play option which opens the world of in home coffee roasting up to novices and professional alike.

John I suspect you might know a thing or two about Kaffelogic 😅

• Like 2

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

20 minutes ago, John Robson said:

Depends how you define chalk and cheese and fractions.

It's twice the price of a Gene Cafe so there would be an expectation that it was better. Still not sure why there is a need to diss the Gene Cafe.

An Ikawa Home would be more expensive  - currently around £1300 though I suspect that you could negotiate a decent discount. Though the odd used one is beginning to appear for similar price to the Kaffelogic. Based in the UK, support is easily available for any back to base problems. Outstanding build quality.

Does the Kaffelogic have any plastic? How would it be fixed if there was a hardware problem?

• Like 2

Depends how you define chalk and cheese and fractions.
It's twice the price of a Gene Cafe so there would be an expectation that it was better. Still not sure why there is a need to diss the Gene Cafe.

Maybe because he's not the director - marketing for the Gene Cafe?
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

55 minutes ago, John Robson said:

For the sake if transparency maybe it would be great if you started a thread, introduced yourself and your company and your roaster. I am sure there would be some interest and it would be somewhere forum members could discuss and ask questions :)

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

Thanks MildredM, and yes, I will indeed start a thread around Kaffelogic in the very near future. I may have unintentionally pushed the boundaries of this forum with my earlier comments as far as directly promoting the product, so many apologies to those members.  I have actually tried to remove my post but unsure how to do this.... 🙂 

In the meantime I am happy to answer any direct questions about Kaffelogic that members may have, if this is allowed. 

Regards from New Zealand.

• Like 1

I started this thread and my only connection with Kaffelogic is that I am a happy customer. I fail to see any reason to push back against a stellar product that is now winning prizes for its users.

I visit NZ for family reasons whenever possible and noticed Kaffelogic on the NZ version of a Kickstarter style website and became a backer. Kaffelogic  started in the same way the Niche Zero Grinder started in the UK. Niche has grown to be a well respected product and I am sure the Kaffelogic Nano 7 will too. As to price, remember if it is exported from Oz or NZ then you shouldn't pay their local sales tax; so ask the dealer for an export price.

Yes its roast capacity is smaller than the Gene but from my point of view, as a home user, that is a strength; I can have two or three single origins on the go and be fairly secure none will go stale waiting to be brewed. And there is absolutely no hassle putting in a 120g load of green beans and spending 9 minutes roasting another batch ready for next morning. This product challenges the norms set by home drum roasting.  No hassle; no burnt batches just the surprise of good roasted coffee.

I speak from the experience of having done 185 roasts on my machine delivered in April.

Finally, I asked John Robson to update this thread as to answer the comment made by mctrials23 as I knew there were plans to bring the Kaffeelogic Nano 7 to  the UK. So, thank you John for doing that and I apologise for the prickly and suspicious reception you've been given. Apparently, we lack the Kiwi friendliness here in the sad old UK.

Edited by Polly
typos
  • Like 2

Hey! We’re not sad :) my view was it would be great to start a thread to show off the product! 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

Yes indeed...my reply was light-hearted...I found the thin veil quite amusing 😂

• Like 3

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

1 hour ago, Polly said:

I started this thread and my only connection with Kaffelogic is that I am a happy customer..........

Finally, I asked John Robson to update this thread 

Forgive the scepticism but these two statements are somewhat inconsistent. It seems unusual imo for a customer to invite the director of the company to comment.

We are not unfriendly (mostly!) but do appreciate clarity on possible vested interests especially when it comes across as a sales pitch.

I'm sure that the Kaffelogic will be an interesting machine and look forward to hearing more about it. Whether it can take Ikawa market share given it's price point we shall see. It certainly brings competition to that sector of the market.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Polly said:

Your comment could be extend to proper roasters like the Dalian Amazon for example. Ability to follow a profile via automated software doesn't mean it's going to produce the best roast.

The Gene is very capable of reproducing roasts producing identical flavours in the cup time after time. Yes, with power control modification. I don't understand why somebody would buy it and not mod it for greater control but there you go. Before my bad soldering gave way (and I haven't bothered fixing it yet) I was able to track the effect of power changes on the roast (with a somewhat consistent voltage +/-5v approx) with a thermocouple I placed in the bean mass and roasts were reproduced almost exactly in terms of drum and bean mass temperature. So while it might not follow a profile the same way computer controlled roasters will it is very much capable of reproducing things in a way that actually matters: in the cup.  

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

10 hours ago, Step21 said:

Forgive the scepticism but these two statements are somewhat inconsistent. It seems unusual imo for a customer to invite the director of the company to comment.

We are not unfriendly (mostly!) but do appreciate clarity on possible vested interests especially when it comes across as a sales pitch.

I'm sure that the Kaffelogic will be an interesting machine and look forward to hearing more about it. Whether it can take Ikawa market share given it's price point we shall see. It certainly brings competition to that sector of the market.

If I recall correctly I responded to an email John Robson, sent to early Kaffelogic backers, that asked for suggestions for dealers in coffee equipment around the world. I replied  suggesting two in the UK  and we fell into a short conversation.

I also message the company founder and Kaffelogic inventor  from time to time; I still do; I tell you this in a spirit of openness. I have made a number of suggested improvements to the software, the firmware and the the hardware. Some of which have been adopted. I also ask for brewing advice in getting the best from my machine. Is it OK, then, that I recommend the Kaffelogic, in your view? Or have I somehow disqualified myself from comment and recommendation.

I think being an early backer of the product has given me an almost motherly sense of responsibility for Kaffelogic and a wish for its success. Did early backers of the Niche Zero Grinder, here, feel the same as it became successful?

I  roast coffee and brew espresso for my better enjoyment; I have no financial connection with the company; does that assuage your extreme cynicism?

I seem to remember a strap-line on this site that stated it was 'said to be one of the friendliest communities on the web'; I don't ever recall having to account for my posts so much on any other fora to which I belong for recommending a product.

I initially made this post because a single brand roaster seems to be the go-to device for home roasters and I sensed a collective blindness to the brands failings. I don't know where you roast your coffee but I roast mine in my kitchen under the cooker hood with the extractor fan on. I don't know where you store or keep your roaster when not in use. I keep mine in the kitchen next to the hob. My roaster looks not unlike a ECM grinder in form and is at home in a kitchen environment ready to be used instantly. 

Edited by The Systemic Kid
Unnecessary and provocative comment removed.

I think we can probably agree that it wasn't 100% transparent but it is now. 

@Polly - for some reason there is quite a lot of suspicion whenever anyone plugs a new product on here. It happened with the Niche, the Minima and is probably something to do with the coffee market being a little stale for a long time and suddenly the market is getting a lot of new products. Some good, some bad. In general its a great forum but sometimes people just get into little arguments about semantics.

I would love to get a little roaster like this personally.

The Gene cafe seems quite involved and I think I have read too much about things like mods, smoking your house out when you make a mistake or your mains voltages being slightly variable effecting roast. That being said, loads of people love theirs.

I want a small roaster I can use in the kitchen that can reproduce roast profiles accurately and accept profiles from people who know what they are doing. The Ikawa sounds good but its literally a 2 double shot roaster. Too small for me. 

@John Robson When these come to the UK, do you have a rough idea on pricing vs importing one.

• Like 2

Well at least we know how it is ventilated now. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Polly said:

I initially made this post because a single brand roaster seems to be the go-to device for home roasters and I sensed a collective blindness to the brands failings. I don't know where you roast your coffee but I roast mine in my kitchen under the cooker hood with the extractor fan on. I don't know where you store or keep your roaster when not in use. I keep mine in the kitchen next to the hob. My roaster looks not unlike a ECM grinder in form and is at home in a kitchen environment ready to be used instantly. 

If you had bothered to contribute/get involved with the forum more perhaps you wouldn't need to rely on extrasensory perception to make judgements.

There are a variety of roasters used by forum members here. Some use the Dalian Amazon, at least two use an Aillio Bullet R1, others use a Cormorant or Ikawa to name a few. In the past there have been users of the hottop and behmor, though I'm not sure if they're still active on the forum or still use them to roast, and I'm 90% certain somebody has used a Kaldi before. People have also used small hand devices that are used on the hob, usually called "ceramic hand held coffee roaster" or something similar. There are a number of users who have modified popcorn poppers to create a fluid bed roaster, and again I'm 90% certain some have even added thermocouples to read BT and ET, and added control over fan speed and power to the heater. 

There's no blindness to the shortcomings of the Gene, hence the recommended modifications, and people should really get that it's an involved process that requires attention and is a fully manual roaster with no computer assistance that requires experience to produce good roasts. Most people roast on the hob under an extractor fan or have the roaster positioned next to a window and vent outside with ducting, it doesn't produce a lot of smoke unless you go into second crack. There are times I've forgotten to turn the extractor fan on or open the window without having smoke alarms go off. If you wanted to you could fully replace the electronics and run it via computer control for greater control but it's not a step I feel the need to take and if you were going to do that you could probably just make your own simple fluid bed roaster with arduino control. 

You seem to really like the roaster and are happy with the roasts  you're producing, which is the main thing, so I'm happy for you. I personally don't really feel I can comment on the roaster or the quality of the roasts having not used it, just as I can't comment on the Bullet, Amazon or any other roaster for that matter, so it's good you're here to share your experience.

Maybe you'd like to head to the 'today's roast' thread where you can post images of your roasts, share profiles, and learn more about the coffees and roasters other members are using.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 2

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Funny I was contacted about this Roaster by a UK retailer today. After reading this thread with interest, it would seem there is a marketing push for the product at the moment. I get the impression said retailer might want to send me one to get a stock, no stock decision. 

Should I choose to review it, people who trust my reviews may want to hang fire and wait. See if the retailer stocks it, and even if they do, is there a published review. It's a lot of money, so it's worth being sure you have the information to decide if it's OK for you. 

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I think this forum has gone a great way in helping companies get a lift off with their products just from user reviews alone (Niche anyone?) I do think @John Robson first post should've mentioned his involvement in his product as he's the 'markletting'  bod for the company. Hence telling folks that one roaster is like chalk and cheese compared to another is a very biased opinion, especially when one isn't similar to another in terms of functionality and price. Anyway, thanks for the (eventual) openness.

• Like 2

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

On 26/11/2019 at 08:52, Polly said:

For those that have taken the plunge and imported a Nano 7 from NZ, it is heartening to hear that someone came second in the Coffee Snob's Golden Bean Home Roasters Competition, Espresso Class,  using the Ninja profile as supplied with the machine.

The competitor was Mark - "bruiserbbq" as you will see in the results sheet below.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-news/52990-home-coffee-roaster-competition-2019-a.html#post664702

I have to wonder how much credence should be given to this competition and its results?

Notwithstanding the fun the  forums competitors will have had,  the  competitor that came second, got his  second placed roast using a microchip and software created by another person.  That makes it rather like  buying a Marks and Sparks 'ping meal' bunging it in an oven and then making out you are (the late) Antonio Carluccio or Delia!

I am sure the above advertised roasting device will find a niche (!!!!) with those people that want to have the fun in roasting their own coffee at home with certain success, but whether they will acquire the art of roasting (or 'get it' as another forum member says) with this device is another matter.

I had a very successful 2 years roasting some 70+ kgs  of coffee with an un-modded Gene. Hand on heart, there was never an bad/undrinkable roast. It taught me a lot and spurred me into saving for the Dalian.  I still have the Gene and use it occasionally for roasting samples.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Batian said:

I have to wonder how much credence should be given to this competition and its results?

Well when I looked at the results the overall winner.... used a Gene! Makes quotes of  “useless” seem a bit churlish 

• Like 1

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

This thread has required moderator input - not naming names 😂please  do not post derogatory and/or inflammatory remarks. They will be removed and likely lead to the thread being locked.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

20 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Funny I was contacted about this Roaster by a UK retailer today. After reading this thread with interest, it would seem there is a marketing push for the product at the moment. I get the impression said retailer might want to send me one to get a stock, no stock decision. 

Should I choose to review it, people who trust my reviews may want to hang fire and wait. See if the retailer stocks it, and even if they do, is there a published review. It's a lot of money, so it's worth being sure you have the information to decide if it's OK for you. 

Have your views changed on these types of roaster? You can review this without confirmation bias?

I recall that a few years back you were able to tell us without using one that the Ikawa was rubbish and no more than a glorified popcorn machine.

The Kaffelogic looks to have very similar technology.