Squidgyblack

Upgrade from Smart Grinder Pro

So upgradeitis has started to set in after the first couple of months with my Smart Grinder Pro (mostly due to the clumping and inconsistency), and I'm looking at potentially upgrading.

Torn between either going new with a Mignon  or Sette 270, or else a used Super Jolly.

There's two options for the used Super Jolly, either a refurb with new burrs and a warranty for around £250 local to me, or else one on an auction site that says it's powering on and the motor is working for £110 that looks a bit rough but might be worth a punt and throwing new burrs into (photo attached just to give an idea of the gamble). 

Is the Super Jolly worth it for the upgrade? Or am I better off going with the Sette or Mignon? 

47092_82058.jpg

I personally think if the mazzer is running quietly (no bearing problem) then it’s a great price for a grinder that can be easily modified to single dose and is better that the other two IMO

• Thanks 1

AKA Toffee chips

If you can accommodate a commercial grinder in the kitchen, then you can save a lot of money. Just make sure you use genuine and not aftermarket burrs, it makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

get the SJ 

• Like 3

keep calm and grind flat

52 minutes ago, Squidgyblack said:

Cheers folks, looks like I'll soon be the owner of a super jolly so 😁

Awesome, loads of us have modified hem through the years so plenty of help here for you 

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

Super Jolly secured, it actually turned out to be in an awful lot better condition than the photos on the auction website, and most importantly, it actually works. Well at least it ground through the shitty Tesco beans I picked up to throw through it and see if it actually did work.

Needs a good bit of TLC, the top burr adjuster was overtightened and stiff, and the burrs have some slight scoring on them so will need to be replaced.

Plans now are new burrs, a lens hood, clean out the doser and do the sweeper mod until I figure out whether to go funnel or just a chute, and see how we go from there!

IMG_20191125_165341.jpg

Edited by Squidgyblack
  • Like 3

Photos of the bottom and top burrs, you can kind of see the scoring through all the years old grinds baked in....

IMG_20191125_165355.jpg

IMG_20191125_165923__01.jpg

• Like 1