Morningfuel

My first espresso grinder - sub £300? Manual maybe?

So I have my first espresso machine on the way - a fun one! It's a gaggia (bo') selecta deluxe converted to a gaggia classic. :)

I'm dead excited, but my zassenhaus hand grinder isn't great at super fine stuff - it goes fine enough for moka pots and does a great job for it, but any finer and it starts getting a bit... Chewy. I don't want burred metal bevvies :)

Originally I found the eureka mignon specialita but it's pretty expensive at £370. The silenzia is more affordable and still quite quiet with supposedly decent grind retention, but still over £300.

My criteria is small, quiet(ish) and good for espresso - isn't everyone's? - which makes me wonder if I should instead consider a hand grinder. 

The older mignons are a bit noisy. The sage smart grinder Pro doesn't seem to be recommended on here for numerous reasons. Should I just save up for a mignon specialita and in the meantime continue enjoying my moka pot? 

Thoughts appreciated. :)

Edited by Morningfuel

Loads of great hand grinders out there and if you don’t mind the cranking then look at Kinu, commandant and orphan espresso all make really well designed, ergonomic grinders capable of all grind variations .

• Thanks 1

AKA Toffee chips

I went from a Zassenhaus to a Mini Mazzer. It wasn’t too big, I could have squeezed it in a cupboard if required. The grind standard was fine for a couple of years until I decided I wanted to up my game :) They sometimes come up second hand. It was a while ago (7 odd years) maybe there are similar level grinders you could look at ? 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

2 minutes ago, MildredM said:

I went from a Zassenhaus to a Mini Mazzer. It wasn’t too big, I could have squeezed it in a cupboard if required. The grind standard was fine for a couple of years until I decided I wanted to up my game :) They sometimes come up second hand. It was a while ago (7 odd years) maybe there are similar level grinders you could look at ? 

The mazzer looks a little big - could be a trick of the eye, mind. 

The other consideration is to see if coffeehit get a baratza sette refurb in, the 270 looks really good at the 30 would probably be suitable. Not quiet but more affordable and I'm asking for the moon on a stick. 

Re: manual grinders, can I expect a £200 hand grinder to outperform a £200 electric? Or does the money go from electronics to other things (like ergonomics)? 

I’d say a good hand grinder is more than equal to a MM. The three coffeechap mentioned are all going to be superb and all would be a lovely grinder to own.

• Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

If you’re looking at the OE grinders, I’d avoid the Lido range, I found it so big as to be unusable, when compared to the MBK equivalent.

• Like 2

This seems to fit your requirements, maybe you overlooked it 
Eureka Mignon Manuale for £239 https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mignon-manuale.html
I have just bought the specialita and it's great.
I use a MK2 in manual mode (into a ramekin on scales sitting on another ramekin) without any problems so it would definitely work.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

1 hour ago, Junglebert said:

If you’re looking at the OE grinders, I’d avoid the Lido range, I found it so big as to be unusable, when compared to the MBK equivalent.

I have OE Lidos & a Feldgrind, the Lido is large but the lighter Lidos (3 & E) aren't particularly heavy (Lido 2 is) & the bits you actually hold aren't much different in size to a Feld. I prefer the Feld's adjustment system, but if I need to grind 40g of coffee, or more, the Lido works just fine. "Unusable" seems a bit dramatic?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I have OE Lidos & a Feldgrind, the Lido is large but the lighter Lidos (3 & E) aren't particularly heavy (Lido 2 is) & the bits you actually hold aren't much different in size to a Feld. I prefer the Feld's adjustment system, but if I need to grind 40g of coffee, or more, the Lido works just fine. "Unusable" seems a bit dramatic?
Could the lido grind 60g in one go?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

31 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
38 minutes ago, MWJB said:

Could the lido grind 60g in one go?

Certainly it can.

• Like 1

Lido 3 definitely can as is my go to travel grinder when out and about allowing me to grind 70g for 1.25L filter pots no issues which I find easier to do than 2 lots in a feld.

Yes its large, which makes it easy to keep still when grinding and the adjustment is easier on the felds (lido 3E has more usable adjustment for espresso range as well as filter, just need to remember not to lock in grind adjustment too tight). Folding handle makes it easier for transport.

Comes down to personal choice / funds 

Electric vs manual at this price range, taste wise you would need to test this yourself but on the whole better vs new, however second hand (if only using for espresso) starts to get a little trickier especially when you take into account time / effort to grind.

Hopefully of help and if you can, get to try some out.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 92Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

I've no idea why the Lidos would be called "unusable". You hold it down by your hip with one hand on the 'hopper' and the other on the crank. I used a Lido E for a while with ease and moved to a Pharos which I used for two years. The only problem I ever had with the latter was using it with a very light roast which was probably either a bad batch or just not developed properly by choice. I actually have both to sell after getting a Niche. The Mignon is a good grinder to start with but I would skip it for a second hand commercial which you'll be able to get for around the same price. If you really need it to be small though then you'll be limited to things like the Mignon, Sette and Niche, or the hand grinders mentioned.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

2 hours ago, E404 said:

This seems to fit your requirements, maybe you overlooked it 

Eureka Mignon Manuale for £239 https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mignon-manuale.html

I have just bought the specialita and it's great.

I did not spot it. Shame it's in none-more-black only, but might fit the bill nicely. Also shame it doesn't have the soundproofing of the silenzia but that's money shaved off the price after all! 

I'll have to have a think - seems to be sette 30 vs mignon vs hand grinder, all at similar prices (especially if a used/refurb turns up). 

Spoilt for choice..! 

1 hour ago, Rob1 said:

I've no idea why the Lidos would be called "unusable". You hold it down by your hip with one hand on the 'hopper' and the other on the crank. I used a Lido E for a while with ease and moved to a Pharos which I used for two years. The only problem I ever had with the latter was using it with a very light roast which was probably either a bad batch or just not developed properly by choice. I actually have both to sell after getting a Niche. The Mignon is a good grinder to start with but I would skip it for a second hand commercial which you'll be able to get for around the same price. If you really need it to be small though then you'll be limited to things like the Mignon, Sette and Niche, or the hand grinders mentioned.

Get them listed @Rob1

AKA Toffee chips

@Morningfuel got a Sette 270W which I upgraded to Wi with the panel upgrade.

It's been great, the dosing is pretty accurate and the micro-burst functionality is an excellent addition.

It has had occasional times when the display has had a strange moment, but it has always reset straight away.

Would be looking for £250 plus postage, or collection - I'm in London.

3 hours ago, Bainbridge said:

@Morningfuel got a Sette 270W which I upgraded to Wi with the panel upgrade.

It's been great, the dosing is pretty accurate and the micro-burst functionality is an excellent addition.

It has had occasional times when the display has had a strange moment, but it has always reset straight away.

Would be looking for £250 plus postage, or collection - I'm in London.

Very kind of you to offer, but I think I'll decline - just in case something goes wrong. 

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a refurb or ex demo at coffeehit or Bella barista for a bit, and see how my zassenhaus Panama does for espresso in the meantime... 

21 hours ago, Rob1 said:

I've no idea why the Lidos would be called "unusable". You hold it down by your hip with one hand on the 'hopper' and the other on the crank. 

Maybe because I tried it and found I couldn’t use it? It’s too wide to hold in one hand, and grind with the other hand, and that’s how I wanted to use it, it’s a handheld grinder.

Are we talking about the same grinder?

IMG_20191117_131737.jpg

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

4 hours ago, Junglebert said:

Maybe because I tried it and found I couldn’t use it? It’s too wide to hold in one hand, and grind with the other hand, and that’s how I wanted to use it, it’s a handheld grinder.

That's exactly how I use my Lido E & I'm no strongman.

The clear hopper is only about 5mm wider than a Feldgrind & about 8mm narrower than a Zass Quito/Commandante.

The Lido 2 is a fair bit heavier, mine has burrs that give more reistance than the Lido E's Etzinger burrs - this I do like to brace when I grind.

50 minutes ago, MWJB said:

That's exactly how I use my Lido E & I'm no strongman.

The clear hopper is only about 5mm wider than a Feldgrind & about 8mm narrower than a Zass Quito/Commandante.

The Lido 2 is a fair bit heavier, mine has burrs that give more reistance than the Lido E's Etzinger burrs - this I do like to brace when I grind.

Mine was a Lido 3.

On 16/11/2019 at 10:02, coffeechap said:

Loads of great hand grinders out there and if you don’t mind the cranking then look at Kinu, commandant and orphan espresso all make really well designed, ergonomic grinders capable of all grind variations .

Thanks for the advice, I am looking for one for Christmas, and this reply seems the best from the thread. WIll check all 3 out! Cheers

• Thanks 1