Hairy_Hogg

LSOL November – Craft House Coffee [West Sussex]

Still no sign of mine, hope they haven’t got lost. 

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

1 hour ago, Daren said:

No... That sounds wrong on many levels emoji1785.png

:-O - We aim to please.......

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Broke the seal on these today. Defo JB territory. First aeropress had a billion smells rising from the cup although my cold infested olfactory systemwas in no mood to decipher what.

Lots of fruit for me so far. Belters so far.

• Like 1

I just keep keep looking at mine longingly. Won’t crack them open until I can taste and smell again (2 weeks and counting). I’ve got a full house on the respiratory tract infection bingo, and laryngitis so I can even complain properly

• Like 1

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

3 minutes ago, mmmatron said:

I just keep keep looking at mine longingly. Won’t crack them open until I can taste and smell again (2 weeks and counting). I’ve got a full house on the respiratory tract infection bingo, and laryngitis so I can even complain properly

Oh yucky bug :( hope you all feel better soon 🤧

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

17 hours ago, Nick1881 said:

Still no sign of mine, hope they haven’t got lost. 

If they do not come today please PM me to confirm address.

Mr LSOL - November offering here -> Clicky <-

Opened these this morning (earlier than planned but needs must!) - smelling great on opening, and an enjoyable flat white.

Needs some work on grind, but can see this one being popular.

V60 - Sage DTP - Sette 270 - Feldgrind

Really been enjoying as pour over, but just had my first espresso. Really nice, great mouthfeel, just going to slacken the grind off a smidgen for the next shot. Went 18 to 36 in 37 second507ba6f082db68f3dd44ad187aa752ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is it just me or..................

.... has anyone else observed that these are "heavy" beans....

Heavy in that:
a) Visibly fewer beans for a standard (weighed) dose..
b) Considerably less volume of grounds in PF
The collar of my tamper is noticeably below the edge of the basket...
(as a rule of thumb tamping normally has the tamper collar level(wish) with the to of the basket)

I am also getting a wetter post pull puck (presumably due to bed/puck depth)....

I'm still at a fine grind from previous months.. the shot might be a bit quicker but not hugely (I don't time shots "accurately")

Even after all the above - my first couple of flat whites have been pretty nice (I am very busy at the moment so I am just knocking them out and not adjusting too much.. just to get my fix)

• Like 1

Currently enjoying LSOL

Heavy in that:
(as a rule of thumb tamping normally has the tamper collar level(wish) with the to of the basket)
I am also getting a wetter post pull puck (presumably due to bed/puck depth)....
I'm still at a fine grind from previous months.. the shot might be a bit quicker but not hugely (I don't time shots "accurately")
Even after all the above - my first couple of flat whites have been pretty nice (I am very busy at the moment so I am just knocking them out and not adjusting too much.. just to get my fix)

Try updosing a touch. Bean variation is the reason baskets have a tolerance.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

15 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

Try updosing a touch. Bean variation is the reason baskets have a tolerance.

I'm not too worried about the volume per se..... merely an observation.

On the other hand my normal dose is 19g....  and "generically" this "fills" the pf/basket....
If I updose these enough to "fill" the basket I suspect the dose might then be outside the logical tolerance of the basket... (even though it physically fits... if you see what I mean)

I'd guesstimate that these beans are something like 1/4-1/3 lower volume... 
So a 19g dose would theoretically be 23.75 - 25+ grams - which I think would be outside the basket size.

Obviously my guesstimate (made from just a couple of attempts) could be wildly out and it might only be say 10%..... in which case updosing would still "fit"....

Anyway..... as I work through the beans I'll try a few variations.... I might even have a smaller basket..... I must be honest I don't fiddle with baskets that often.... I think I'm using one I got from Toffeechips.... 

• Like 1

Currently enjoying LSOL

3 hours ago, Drewster said:

Heavy in that:

Huh... almost like this is a really dense bean... higher altitude or something... cough cough...

you may of also found the miracle of omni roast ;)

enjoying this!

• Like 4

Can't believe I missed out on a Himalayan Yak milk washed coffee!

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Had a go yesterday with these as espresso. Dosed 16.5g into an 18g VST (bit low I know, I usually go 17g). Ground a tadge courser on the Versalab - at just over 3 on the scale (no good for anyone else I guess). Temp on the machine was just under 95 C and did a 28s pre-infusion before pulling (IIRC as I didn't note this bit down) 38g. It was a bit courser before and 17g but was getting a bit paracetamol in there..

Had a sip and found no initial acidity nor untoward flavours. Was nice and smooth.. Guessing these need to develop a bit more so at least I have an initial starting point to go from but am getting a nice cup straight away. Not tried in milk using my machine yet, but know from making a pourover the other day at the gf's she described them as delicate.

Think I might have to drag the EK back into service and make a Chemex tomorrow. Anyone have a recipe for Chemex or V60?

• Like 1

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I've been using a bastardised version of the Alice method with my V60 for the last couple of weeks. Working well with these beans.

15g at 2:2 on the Feldgrind (or slightly finer than my usual V60 grind) 125 ml water straight in, pretty aggressively, in 10/15 seconds. At 1 minutes 10 seconds another 125ml in over 10/15 seconds. Dry bed at 2 minutes.

Only had a couple of brews but I'm thinking it's something south/central American. I'll make a more specific guess after a few more...

Edit: Link to Alice method

Edited by Jon_Foster
  • Like 3

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

17 hours ago, Craft House Coffee said:

Huh... almost like this is a really dense bean... higher altitude or something... cough cough...

you may of also found the miracle of omni roast ;)

enjoying this!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm - I am wondering if that is a subtle red-herring....

If it were the case surely others would have noticed/mentioned or even agreed with my observation..... 
curiouser and curiouser......

Currently enjoying LSOL

Tried as a flat white today and can confirm it is pretty good in milk as well :)e9d2062935d0543a07be5fbdd329be1d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

abac60d2a102d814b7c43704e9642161.jpg
Excuse the poor milk pour (first cup off new machine), I got a slight bit of funk right at the end of each mouthful, still no clue though as could just be me, it was 5am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yum.....

Apricots and honey. 

18.3 into 40. 25 seconds

• Like 2

I'm away at the mo, having this in an aeropress. 18g at 2:2 on the Feld. Aeropress inverted, 270g water 10 seconds off boil. No stir, leave for 20 minutes, flip and slow press over about 20/30 seconds.

I'll be honest, I just forgot to stir the first time but it was so good that's how I've done it since.

Really delicious, very sweet stone fruit. Juicy banger!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jon_Foster said:

I'm away at the mo, having this in an aeropress. 18g at 2:2 on the Feld. Aeropress inverted, 270g water 10 seconds off boil. No stir, leave for 20 minutes, flip and slow press over about 20/30 seconds.

I'll be honest, I just forgot to stir the first time but it was so good that's how I've done it since.

Really delicious, very sweet stone fruit. Juicy banger!

I just retrieved my poor neglected CCD from the utility room coffee cupboard on the strength of this and did a 20min steep. Gloriously nice, super sweet, mug full of loveliness...

• Like 2

Well I have to say this is as smooth as silk in a milk drink, don’t know if it’s the new machine or what but one cup just isn’t enough. Definite chocolate for me, lost that funky edge I got on the first drink. I have to admit I have been messing with pre infusion times, pushed to 10 seconds then my usual ratio in cup 1:2, I’m going in early here and guessing a washed Brazilian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This ones proving quite popular with Sarah a real smooth caramel / choc / sweet honey as a flat white. 

Yet to try as filter.

Thanks all for organising / roasting

Wild guess: Colombian

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Haven't really had much chance to play with this yet, but I have had an aeropress (15 in, Aergrind 1.7, 250g water a minute after boil, inverted, 30g bloom, stir, 6 minutes). I need to try again as this method was quite mellow and full bodied bit lacked fruit for me. As espresso I've tried 18>38 in 40" which was tasty with forward acidity, (straight) and 18>42.5 in 45" which was mellow and comforting with 5oz milk. I know there's more to come if I can find it!d7229b2443a7ecf6e1e7310172eca995.jpg

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• Like 1

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Had this as flat white yesterday, works really well for me, lovely syrupy sweetness!

I'm pretty sure it's a washed coffee and I think it's a central American. I'm gonna say Nicaraguan but it's a bit of a punt! :)