catpuccino

Christmas blends

On 02/12/2019 at 09:11, mark8805 said:

Hi Gerrard, the gingerbread tasting coffee is it for espressooooing or brewing?

Hi @mark8805 It hadn't arrived in the cafe when I was in at the weekend but I'd guess that the roast profile will be intended for both. Fortitude usually try to create an omni roast where possible.

Hasbean have entered the game:

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/festive-blend

Christmas pudding, sultana, glacé cherry, grenadine

In previous years we've had separate filter and espresso blends, but for 2019 we're doing something different. This year there's just one blend that's designed to deliver a delicious cup of festive filter or seasonal espresso to help keep you going this December.

Edited by catpuccino

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Hasbean have entered the game:

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/festive-blend

Christmas pudding, sultana, glacé cherry, grenadine

In previous years we've had separate filter and espresso blends, but for 2019 we're doing something different. This year there's just one blend that's designed to deliver a delicious cup of festive filter or seasonal espresso to help keep you going this December.

It's all wrapped up with a sweet boozy hit of Grenadine.
Last time I looked, Grenadine was non alcoholic!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I've just ordered a few bags of Hasbean xmas blend. Sounds nice. One's a pressie for the other half's folks :) 

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Gardelli have done their first ever holiday coffee and like the trend is going the past 2 years, it's a single origin rather than a festive blend.
Notes of Marzipan / Butter / Green Apple / Oolong Tea.

I think I'm gonna pick up a few bags as Christmas treats and so might get this one plus an extra to gift a coffee roaster friend back home.

I had a Christmas pudding ice cream last year from Nicholls, world famous ice cream shop in Parkgate on the Wirral.   It lives in my memory, partly because I took my, then, 92 year old mother there and then went next door to The Ship for a pint while she went to the loo.  In fact, the Christmas pudding ice cream tasted like a version of rum and raisin so the Hasbean tasting notes would lead me to expect something like that. 

Incidentally, about now, someone usually posts something along the lines of 'so what's special about a Christmas coffee?'. That is usually shortly followed by someone doubting the existence of Father Christmas.   

Back on topic, in previous years, The Barn have produced a Christmas coffee that I have enjoyed and they are doing one this year and what do you know, raisins appear again.  Are they this year's on trend tasting note?  

• Like 1

I've bought some of the kiss the hippo Christmas blend as liked the sound of that one. Somehow a couple of extra bags of beans appeared in my basket ;) Will report back when I've tried it. Shame there doesn't appear to be a Santa Claude this year.  Mind you, I'm drowning in coffee at the moment. I've been ill this week and have gone completely off coffee. Forced myself to have one this morning after a 5 day abstinence. I'm defrosting the freezer due to a new fridge freezer arriving on Thursday so have had to empty that of beans. Still, what better to fill a new freezer with than coffee beans?  Sod the turkey. 

Edited by Kitkat

Gaggia Classic (2006), Eureka Mignon MK2

43 minutes ago, Kitkat said:

I've bought some of the kiss the hippo Christmas blend as liked the sound of that one. Somehow a couple of extra bags of beans appeared in my basket ;) Will report back when I've tried it. Shame there doesn't appear to be a Santa Claude this year.  Mind you, I'm drowning in coffee at the moment. I've been ill this week and have gone completely off coffee. Forced myself to have one this morning after a 5 day abstinence. I'm defrosting the freezer due to a new fridge freezer arriving on Thursday so have had to empty that of beans. Still, what better to fill a new freezer with than coffee beans?  Sod the turkey. 

Awwwww feel properly better soon Kitkat ?

• Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

18 hours ago, MildredM said:

Awwwww feel properly better soon Kitkat ?

Thank you. Still not overly enthusiastic about coffee but at least the thought no longer makes me feel nauseous. 

Gaggia Classic (2006), Eureka Mignon MK2

On 07/12/2019 at 17:34, Phil104 said:

I had a Christmas pudding ice cream last year from Nicholls, world famous ice cream shop in Parkgate on the Wirral.   It lives in my memory, partly because I took my, then, 92 year old mother there and then went next door to The Ship for a pint while she went to the loo.  In fact, the Christmas pudding ice cream tasted like a version of rum and raisin so the Hasbean tasting notes would lead me to expect something like that. 

Incidentally, about now, someone usually posts something along the lines of 'so what's special about a Christmas coffee?'. That is usually shortly followed by someone doubting the existence of Father Christmas.   

Back on topic, in previous years, The Barn have produced a Christmas coffee that I have enjoyed and they are doing one this year and what do you know, raisins appear again.  Are they this year's on trend tasting note?  

It might just be me but I've pretty much never gotten a great cup out of a bean that has tasting notes of 'chocolate and raisin'. Not from Curve, Tim Wendelboe, anywhere no matter how good the roaster is meant to be. Just tastes 'meh' at absolute best once dialled in.

Not a blend, but Fortitude Coffee are promising a Christmas coffee which tastes (naturally) of gingerbread. Available in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah you beat me to it @Gerrard Burrard

Had a batch brew of this today. Nice, I generally avoid cinnamon notes which really sings in this one so if you're into that I think it's well worth a go. 

I'd say it's very similar to Assembly's Costa Rican offering at the moment: https://assemblycoffee.co.uk/products/costa-rica-cordillera-del-fuego

20191212_084735.jpg

• Like 2

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

On 05/12/2019 at 11:42, Gerrard Burrard said:

Hi @mark8805 It hadn't arrived in the cafe when I was in at the weekend but I'd guess that the roast profile will be intended for both. Fortitude usually try to create an omni roast where possible.

Have it in stock now, mine should be arriving today me thinks, can't wait love the taste of ginger.

• Like 1

Osmio Zero Reverse Osmosis System-No Installation, Niche Zero, Profitec 600 Dual Boiler.