catpuccino

Christmas blends

Look...I don't want to be the first one to use the 'C' word. 

But I did notice North Star have released their blend for this year: https://www.northstarroast.com/product/north-star-christmas-blend/

Sounds good. Love a marzipan. ?

• Like 1

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

This topic seems to arise every November :)  There are 8 roasters, I know about, that offer Christmas blends right now, one of them being North Star you mentioned. But this number will go up closer to advent, based on my previous observations, I'm constantly tracking over 100 roasters :)and hoping to track double that next year. Would be interesting to see how many Christmas blends I see this year. 

I suppose making blends around certain events or characters or concepts is a creative way to enjoy coffee - your brain ravels in meaning, whilst your taste buds ravel in magical liquid goodness, but one likes the tasting notes that one likes. So I'd like to ask my question from previous year in this thread, if I may - apart from marzipan, what tasting notes are the Christmas notes? I guess notes from the Spices section of the wheel are a good candidate. I do hope for nutty and chocolate notes to qualify, since I am a rather boring coffee explorer, always come back to my comfort notes after crazy adventures of apple, pomegranate and what not. 

• Like 4

Sage Barista Express, V60, Moka Pot, Filter/Cafetiere | Black Coffee | Like to explore beans and roasters

Pretty sure I've seen one in previous years with notes of chocolate orange. Mulled wine type notes can be quite popular too.

On the whole if I'm getting something in for Christmas, I'll just get something a bit more special than the norm or one I've really enjoyed previously.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I loved Round Hill's Santa Claude last year.  No specifically Christmas notes but peach and frangipane.  It was the one that made me realise I liked peach as a tasting note.  It's a candidate for best coffee I've ever had.

A bit darker than I tend to go for now but I like the sound of Darkwoods Christmas blend - dried cherry sweetness, smooth chestnut flavour, dark chocolate overtones - sounds Christmassy.  

Edited by Kitkat
  • Like 3

Gaggia Classic (2006), Eureka Mignon MK2

Not a blend, but Fortitude Coffee are promising a Christmas coffee which tastes (naturally) of gingerbread. Available in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gerrard Burrard said:

Not a blend, but Fortitude Coffee are promising a Christmas coffee which tastes (naturally) of gingerbread. Available in the next couple of weeks.

Oh my. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 05:18, ashcroc said:

Pretty sure I've seen one in previous years with notes of chocolate orange. Mulled wine type notes can be quite popular too. ...

Ah, yes the list of christmas notes is now emerging :) . toffee by any chance?

On 11/11/2019 at 06:14, Kitkat said:

I loved Round Hill's Santa Claude last year.  ...

I remember Santa Claude :) 

13 hours ago, Gerrard Burrard said:

Not a blend, but Fortitude Coffee are promising a Christmas coffee which tastes (naturally) of gingerbread. ...

Ginger, how that is even possible? :)

cool so we have now: choc, orange, winy, peach, dried fruit?, nutty, ginger,...

yum yum

Sage Barista Express, V60, Moka Pot, Filter/Cafetiere | Black Coffee | Like to explore beans and roasters

Following this thread :)

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Portable -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

I see Rave have their first of two Christmas offerings available, a medium/dark natural/washed blend, offering chocolate, spices and red fruit.

Look forward to seeing some reviews here as the yule offerings get sampled.

Edited by ooglewoogle

More Christmas Beans spotted the total known list so far :) :

Christmas Coffee from Rave
North Star Christmas Blend from North Star
Festive Blend from Moonroast
Christmas Blend from Perky Blenders
Christmas Blend from Bailies Coffee
Burundi Nemba Festive Microlot from Bailies Coffee
Yule Fuel - Christmas Blend from Coffee Real
Christmas Blend Coffee from Adams & Russell
Christmas Blend from Quarter Horse
Christmas Blend from The Bean Shop
Broadway Blend from Climpson & sons
Christmas Coffee from York Emporium
The Roast Of Christmas Present from 200 Degrees

• Like 2

On 15/11/2019 at 00:55, Beanedict said:

More Christmas Beans spotted the total known list so far :) :

Broadway Blend from Climpson & sons

Although it's seasonal doesn't look like the broadway blend is yet a Christmas blend...

I like Climpsons so thought I'd have a look. 

• Thanks 1

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

5 hours ago, jlarkin said:

Although it's seasonal doesn't look like the broadway blend is yet a Christmas blend...

I like Climpsons so thought I'd have a look. 

I don't remember now, but I think there was a mention to Christmas in their Broadway blend description last year, so I included it in the list. I need to update my algorithm :) 

1 minute ago, Beanedict said:

I don't remember now, but I think there was a mention to Christmas in their Broadway blend description last year, so I included it in the list. I need to update my algorithm :)

You the coffeediff owner? Open source that bad boy ?

59 minutes ago, catpuccino said:

You the coffeediff owner? Open source that bad boy ?

I am ☺️, sorry :)

https://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/collections/speciality-roasted-coffee/products/christmas-coffee-blend-arabica-roasted-coffee-1kg?variant=19459591209048

Mild, warming, spicy, citrus

On 18/11/2019 at 19:26, Dormouse said:

I noticed this when I was buying greens. I wouldn't usually pay much attention to roasted coffee, but I noticed that there are similarities between the blend and the one I often have in the morning. So after gulping at the kg of pre-roasted, I added it to the order.

Ordered on Sunday 17th. Delivered Tuesday 19th. Roasted on Monday 18th. Came in two 500g bags.

That's pretty good.

Flavours are likely to take a week or two to come out, but I thought I'd try it anyway. Description pretty accurate (citrus not easy to catch). Slight rough edge from the Java/Malabar - adds complexity rather than being unpleasant to my mind.

I roast my varieties separately and only blend when I'm making a coffee. I assume this was roasted as a blend, which seems to be usual. On the light/dark spectrum, I'd put this as tenor/baritone. I like a bit more range. So I added soprano (a light roasted Rwandan), baritone (a Brazilian blend) and base (Sulawesi). 2g of each added to 10g of the Pennine Christmas. Definitely more oomph. Actually very nice. Blends well.

• Like 1

More roasters joined the Christmas race:

Winter Hoard 2019 from James Gourmet Coffee
Xmas Brew from Papercup
Christmas Coffee/Kenya Gacibi Pb from Nude
Crimbo Brew from Hard Lines

I ordered the Pact Christmas blend on a whim. Notes of Christmas pudding but I'm not getting much of anything to be honest.
Is an OK coffee.
My mother in law said it reminds me of a coffee shop coffee but not the speciality ones... Ouch. 1b63e2d9b0023a3aec3eea238beb28a5.jpg

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

On 25/11/2019 at 07:56, jlarkin said:

My mother in law said it reminds me of a coffee shop coffee but not the speciality ones... Ouch.

Oh dear... that bad?

Counting 27 Christmas Coffees now :)

• Like 1

Just released our first Christmas blend! Directly sourced coffees and a blend of Rwanda natural, Costa Rica and 20% Brazil. Think dried fruits, raisin, orange, nuts, chocolate and a hint of booze! 

Available here with 25% over the black Friday weekend https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk/products/horsham-coffee-roaster-christmas-blend

• Like 3

Licensed Q Grader and roaster on the Loring S35

www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk

@horshamcoffee

9 hours ago, horshamcoffee said:

Just released our first Christmas blend! Directly sourced coffees and a blend of Rwanda natural, Costa Rica and 20% Brazil. Think dried fruits, raisin, orange, nuts, chocolate and a hint of booze! 

Available here with 25% over the black Friday weekend https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk/products/horsham-coffee-roaster-christmas-blend

Sounds good + a good deal. Thanks for posting it!

• Like 1

• Like 1

"I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might just be awake."

On 12/11/2019 at 12:32, Gerrard Burrard said:

Hi Gerrard, the gingerbread tasting coffee is it for espressooooing or brewing?

Osmio Zero Reverse Osmosis System-No Installation, Niche Zero, Profitec 600 Dual Boiler.