Charged

First machine buying advice

Hello everyone, im looking for some advice in buying my first home coffee machine. Ive got around £250 to spend on the machine and I was looking at a new sage dual temp pro or second hand gaggia classic. Is there any other machines I should consider? 

Id also like a grinder and was thinking of the sage grinder or Iberital MC2 . Again, anything else I should consider.  I dont want to spend more than £200.

Thank you all in advance. 

45 minutes ago, Charged said:

Any advice please? 

Try and consider grinders that are not either of the ones you mentioned and that includes a Rocky.

Perhaps a used Eureka Mignon....

• Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Hi,

The DTP has better temp stability than an unmodded Classic but your budget will allow you to get this one & a MrShades PID kit which'll improve it greatly. A La Pavoni Europicola may also be worth considering though the learning curve for a lever can be a bit steeper.

If space allows, you should be able to get an Ex-commercial grinder which'll give you better results over either the SGP or MC2 you mentioned. A Mazzer Mini or Super Jolly may fit the bill or this Fiorenzato F5D if it hasn't sold yet would be even better.

Another option is an all in one machine like a Sage Barista Express which is at around the same level as the DTP & SGP.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Or the whole shooting match, machine and grinder for £750.... but perhaps they will take an offer?

• Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

People who buy the Gaggia usually want pid fitted and also adjust the brew pressure. It also has a small dual use boiler so there is some delay switching between brewing and steaming milk.

The DTP is a thermoblock machine and has PID and should give pretty consistent water temperatures for both brew and steam. There is a bit of a delay switching between them, roughly say 30sec going to steam.There is no limit on how much steam is produced.

Scaling up can be a problem on all machines. The DTP uses a thermoblock and it would be best to descale it more often than many others. Sage engineers suggest once a month. It's very easy to do unlike many other machines. The DTP is a pretty simple machine, no solenoids for instance so in some respects less that can cause problems in this area so if it is descaled regularly should be able to live with it.

It's not a bad idea for people who intend buying any espresso machine to go to the web site of their water supplier and check how hard their water is. ;) This applies to bean to cup machines as well really. At some degree of hardness it's best to switch to certain brands of bottled water.

Sage machines come with a water filter to soften it. Trouble is that they have decided to charge £14 for it. The manuals state how often it should be changed. Those can be downloaded off their web site. Think it's every 3 months but recollect seeing 30L of water somewhere providing they don't live in a very hard water area. Not sure how people get on with filters on the Classic. If it simply has a tube dangling in the tank some are available and cheaper than Sage's but still not that cheap. They are on expresso underground's web site.

:) So in my view taking all into account the DTP is a better option. Not sure how the Bambino compares in price but it's a more sophisticated machine internally so is likely to need more care with cleaning and maintenance. The DTP is likely to need more frequent back flushing and shower screen cleaning that Sage suggest as well.

Grinders 😅 People on here have problems with those that want something and have a budget limit. Many also assume that every one must own something that will last until the last trump sounds or the sun goes nova / the planet kills us all. Also resale prices - complete garbage, the more spent the  more lost. The only solution to that is to buy used.

There are good reports about on the Iberital, think it's sold as the Challenger elsewhere. Not used one. The only 2 I have used in that price range is the Graef, the more expensive one - forget it and the Sage Smart Grinder Pro. All small conic so that means some taste change aspects but that doesn't mean that they can't make good coffee just that people wonder about better. I'd say that needs a hefty jump in cost to really do anything about it and personally I would discount small flats but lots don't.

What might have swung me to the Iberital is the use of a metal grinds chamber and adjustment. If plastic I would go Sage for the simple reason that they have changed a few things in them over the years to cure life time problems with it and have sold lots of them. Probably way more than any other grinder. I'd need to see in an Iberital to swing me that way. It does have  a very fine adjustment but the Sage isn't much of a slacker in that direction and the settings are easily repeatable. That's something people like about Niche. Grinders at home are some form of compromise, easy resetting is a useful facility.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Has anyone noticed the must have accessory for the DTP ???? :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZWOOS-Drill-Precision-Drilling-Woodworking/dp/B071Z1L2KL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=ZWOOS+Hand+Drill+25+Pcs+Twist+Drill&qid=1573389652&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDRXR1gzSFo3QkEwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDI1Njg1Mk9RSTlPWDJCODVNQSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTEzMjI5MkZVWURMMEpCTlI1TiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Saves people getting water all over the place when they back flush. Try a 0.5mm hole first in the centre of the back flush disc. Might need up to 1mm but this set can calibrate how much goes through the portafilter and sub 1mm should be fine.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

Well the box when it stops working🤣

• Sad 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Thank you everyone for your advice, especially John, much appreciated. 

I have found someone selling a gaggia classic and a Iberital Mc1 grinder which i believe is commercial grade? £200 sounds reasonable and the gaggia was rebuilt by Ferrari espresso 16 months ago. 

I know nothing about the Mc1. Seems to be commercial and fitted with a doser and 59mm flat burrs, bigger than some. By small flats I meant sub 64mm but 5mm isn't much. People will often advise 75,80 or even larger diameter for a better drink. I don't like spending money so have an physically enormous 85mm one to modify to see what the results are like. That might persuade me to spend serious money.

16 months of lack of maintenance is more than enough to mess a machine up. This area is some what dependent on if people are prepared to work on machines themselves. Engineers aren't cheap. Sage has a parts problem which means only they can fix some of the problems that can crop up but as I pointed out the DTP is a very simple machine. Engineer costs compared with others - pass but it wouldn't surprise me if there is little difference. Depending on Sage's use of a call centre they may even be cheaper and if from new they get fixed for nothing for 2 years and an engineer calls. Past that cheapest option is to keep the box and send it to them or pay more for an engineer to call.

LOL I decided to add a comment to my signature due to Jony's. It's not as simple as his suggests. There are things I would like changed as they cheese me off on the Sage machines I have used and the repair aspect is tricky but that does depend on who can do them.

Anyway at some point people have to make a choice and go for it. Used has it's advantages if it proves to be a mistake as often if still ok they can be sold for what they were bought for or close to that. Might have problems selling an MC1 with a doser on though. On demand is a different matter.

John

-