jimmgc51

Left running for 3 x days

So not sure if I’ve buggered it or not, left for work Tue & come home Fri evening so grinder switched on with wi-fi plug on weds morn so been running ever since.

Was still on when I got home tonight. Still running a good sign I suppose but does t sound as high pitched as before. 

any advice you think it’s gone or until it stops running completely I’ll be ok?

Edited by jimmgc51

what model grinder is it ?   Is it very hot ? If so could have melted the grease in the bearings. If it was still running sounds electrically OK. 

Hope it's ok, but why the Grinder on the wifi plug??

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

It wasn’t hot at all actually.

erm it’s just connected to multi socket but for some unknown reason, I switched my Rocket machine off (for this very reason) but also flicked the switch on the Niche.

so basically turned it on, it was 6am so not thinking clearly at all

Could’ve worn out the grease in the planetary gears I suppose. Have you got a video of how it runs now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Oh heck!

Well, with it being a Niche I wonder if it's worth dropping them an email to see what they think. Outside of their own testing yours is probably the first to have been left on like that 😅

I have my wifi plug setup to turn off +3 hours any time after it's turned on. So whether it comes on through a routine or if I turn it on manually, it'll always timeout and be off 3 hours afterwards. I'm always cautious of leaving the machine on throughout the day by accident, so this acts as a nice little fail safe.

SmartSelect_20191108-195532_meross.thumb.jpg.cb86ec9f378c133e2909cf76f41891df.jpg

ECM Heidelberg Mechanika IV Profi // Niche Zero

Must have been horrible to come back to that running. I’ve had a similar albeit not quite as bad experience when I left the lever up on a hx machine after cleaning it, the WiFi plug came on and it was left running for quite a few hours. I’d email James as I agree with@catpuccino I think they’d be interested. Good sign it was still going, thinking about it that switch is really crap.

I wonder if@DavecUK ever thought of running one so long. Either way, he's probably the best to ask since he did the testing on them. The fact it's still working is a good sign.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I left a test one running for about 45 minutes and as @jimmgc51 has found it didn't get hot or even warm. I didn't bother running it any longer as it had probably reached equilibrium. It's probably going to be fine and as the motor only consumes around 40W or less free running (other consumption is in other parts). The case is well able to dissipate the heat and radiate it away.

It's only been running for 36 hours... so that's 6480 double shots ground ;) So at an average of 2 shots per day that's around 8.8 years use. It's not been under any huge load of course, but it has done the revolutions. It might well mean you need a motor and gearbox  in 17 years instead of 25...but as the grinder becomes cost netural after 6 - 7  years (e.g. becomes free as the saving in not having to purge stale coffee pays for it)....I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

At least people can look back on this thread in wonder if you ever decide to sell it :)

As for e-mailing Niche, I suppose they can note your name and number, just in case you get early motor failure due to Niche abuse <lol>...however, definitely don't put a grinder on a  time switch....really not necessary. If you forget to turn it off, you only got that little neon (people never worry about them in extension leads or some sockets).

@KTD What is it that makes the switch on the Niche so crap?

@KTD

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I left a test one running for about 45 minutes and as @jimmgc51 has found it didn't get hot or even warm. I didn't bother running it any longer as it had probably reached equilibrium. It's probably going to be fine and as the motor only consumes around 40W or less free running (other consumption is in other parts). The case is well able to dissipate the heat and radiate it away.

It's only been running for 36 hours... so that's 6480 double shots ground So at an average of 2 shots per day that's around 8.8 years use. It's not been under any huge load of course, but it has done the revolutions. It might well mean you need a motor and gearbox  in 17 years instead of 25...but as the grinder becomes cost netural after 6 - 7  years (e.g. becomes free as the saving in not having to purge stale coffee pays for it)....I wouldn't worry about it.
At least people can look back on this thread in wonder if you ever decide to sell it
As for e-mailing Niche, I suppose they can note your name and number, just in case you get early motor failure do to Niche abuse ...however, definitely don't put a grinder on a  time switch....really not necessary. If you forget to turn it off, you only got that little neon (people never worry about them in extension leads or some sockets).
@KTD What is it that makes the switch on the Niche so crap?
@KTD

Good answer. Well I guess from a technical aspect it may not be but some kind of automatic switch off would be good, is there ever a reason to have it running for more than a minute each time the lid is closed?

47 minutes ago, KTD said:

Good answer. Well I guess from a technical aspect it may not be but some kind of automatic switch off would be good, is there ever a reason to have it running for more than a minute each time the lid is closed?

I would imagine someone would find something to complain about if it only ran for 1 minute after closing the lid....the coffee community is a broad church.

e.g. I think it's shite to not have a manual switch on all automatic commercial grinders....one that completely bypasses the electronics and simply operates the SSR or relay for the motor directly. However most commercial grinders don't have that facility....odd isn't it. If the electronics goes the grinder is unusable.

I think it's shite that  commercial grinders don't have leads like kettle leads, so that the manufacturers rather than moan about the different plugs they have to supply to different countries (and they do believe it or not) don't just put a socket in the back and then simply supply the right leads (it's a sort of move me I'm burning situation). You could even have leads of different lengths as accessories. Also safer if you move a grinder and forget to unplug it.

Why are hoppers clear and not all smoked, or opaque

Why are most on/off switches placed so inconveniently on grinders

why isn't there always a protective bumper around the portafilter push button

Why are grinds catcher trays usually an afterthought

Why couldn't Mazzer put a neater and more effective magnet trap after 30 years....

Do they really believe anyone screws in the little screw that goes in the hole in the hopper........to stop you removing it.

Why do they mix allen bolts and crosshead bolts.

Why is it only a relatively recent innovation to have back mounted flat burrs...., so we don't have 3 big holes in the front.

Why does the fan in some large commercial grinders just run all the time, whether it's being used or not.

Plus many other things that are shite in grinders.....some of which I'm not going to mention. I banged on at manufacturers for years to stop using fixed mains leads in coffee machines, finally some of them listened....The commercial grinder manufacturers in the main...couldn't care less.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I would imagine someone would find something to complain about if it only ran for 1 minute after closing the lid....the coffee community is a broad church.
e.g. I think it's shite to not have a manual switch on all automatic commercial grinders....one that completely bypasses the electronics and simply operates the SSR or relay for the motor directly. However most commercial grinders don't have that facility....odd isn't it. If the electronics goes the grinder is unusable.
I think it's shite that  commercial grinders don't have leads like kettle leads, so that the manufacturers rather than moan about the different plugs they have to supply to different countries (and they do believe it or not) don't just put a socket in the back and then simply supply the right leads (it's a sort of move me I'm burning situation). You could even have leads of different lengths as accessories. Also safer if you move a grinder and forget to unplug it.
Why are hoppers clear and not all smoked, or opaque
Why are most on/off switches placed so inconveniently on grinders
why isn't there always a protective bumper around the portafilter push button
Why are grinds catcher trays usually an afterthought
Why couldn't Mazzer put a neater and more effective magnet trap after 30 years....
Do they really believe anyone screws in the little screw that goes in the hole in the hopper........to stop you removing it.
Why do they mix allen bolts and crosshead bolts.
Why is it only a relatively recent innovation to have back mounted flat burrs...., so we don't have 3 big holes in the front.
Why does the fan in some large commercial grinders just run all the time, whether it's being used or not.
Plus many other things that are shite in grinders.....some of which I'm not going to mention. I banged on at manufacturers for years to stop using fixed plugs in coffee machines, finally some of them listened....The commercial grinder manufacturers in the main...couldn't care less.

Perhaps the switch isn’t that bad after all

21 minutes ago, KTD said:

Perhaps the switch isn’t that bad after all emoji23.png

I guess that was the point I was trying to make. It's like when a new member moans about small nick in the breaker zone of new burrs whilst seemingly oblivious to the 3 large screw holes further in. It's like  "the manufacturer put them there so it's all good...but this itty bitty nick is ruining my day" ;)

Theres a lot of stuff wrong with stuff...but in the scheme of things...that switch...is pure class!

Edited by DavecUK

Cheers Dave least mines been ran in 😂

what an idiot I know, it’s fine from 10 shots a week to what you quoted above in a short space of time. But until is packs it I’ll keep enjoying my coffee 

• Like 2

Look on the bright side, you have shown that it's very likely the motor runs for at least 8 years  ;) used normally by an average user. Saved me trying it.

Edited by DavecUK