Philip HN

Hello and Any Advice Please?

Hello Everyone

I've just arrived, I'm pleased to be here and looking forward very much to learning from such an immensely knowledgeable collection of enthusiasts. That's all of you of course. 

I suppose that like a fair few newbies, I'm arriving with a question.  Maybe I should post it elsewhere but can I try here?

Coffee has been a consistent thread running through the last thirty years of otherwise very up and down and sometimes bumpy life.  At the beginning I went from instant coffee and the occasional French Press to a Rancilio Silvia. After about a year I stopped using ready ground Illy coffee and bought a Rancilio Rocky. I was still using that combination 20 years later when I fitted the Silvia with a PID kit purchased from the US. Shortly after that I gave the Rocky to a friend and bought a new Mazzer Superjolly electronic. Then maybe four years ago I sold the Silvia and bought a Rocket R58. That's still my set-up but I am getting twitchy about the Mazzer, not sure why, maybe noise, maybe clumping, but whatever the reason I am starting to think about alternatives...

And that's my challenge. I am drawn to grinders that are bigger than I need and more expensive than I can afford.  That's my weakness, but coffee is my only vice, and drawing on something James Hoffman once said, it's also my hobby, and hobbies cost money.  So if I decide I'm prepared to spend a grand on a grinder, where should I start? I've been using a very old school grinder (so I've been told) for a while and the alternatives are, well, complicated.  I'd love to have a shortlist of maybe five grinders I can research the hell out of.  Can you help me build that shortlist please?

Thank you very much in advance for any thoughts!

• Like 1

We have loads of thoughts what is your budget and  then triple it :) and welcome. And you often use different beans and or single dose.

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Hi thanks! Yes well I sort-of covered off the budget creep with the £1000 or so I thought. But we'll see... As for beans, I am as much of a dinosaur about my beans as I have been about my grinder: I only drink espresso and have worked my way through a number of espresso blends from roasters large and small eg Union and Strangers but am currently drinking The Docks by North Star Roasters.  I don't tend to enjoy single origin coffees in the same way.

Your in a between a rock and a hard place moving from a super jolly. The usual root for an improvement on flat burrs is bigger. Can't comment as the largest I have used is the same as the Jolly.

Clumping on a mazzer mini can be cured by modifying it for weighing in. I suspect that is the same on most especially Mazzer. However my mini is the E version and following the mod the timer started misbehaving - would start up all on it's own. I can't help wondering if that is down to removing the antistatic grid,  It's a bit of faff using grinders like this. On this one someone has added a flap which should help kill static as some grinders eg Ceado use this arrangement.

The thing that bugged me on the Ceado was cleaning the springy flap they use but they have changed the design since. People have spent some time playing around with replacements - assume to cure clumping but on a few beans I found that to be pretty good on the 64mm version. Not all beans though. They do produce a larger burr model.

As soon as weighing in is mentioned then comes the Niche Zero. Made purely for weighing in. Easy to adjust and after a couple of shots what goes in comes out, no brushing etc. ;) Saves you £500. It's also easy to go between different settings repeatedly. It uses Mazzer Kony burrs  It's gone down well with most buyers. Some mention taste changes due to the use of conic burrs. I usually drink very oily Monsooned Malabar, coated with the stuff. Main difference I found with that is a much stronger taste - after reducing my usual dose from flat a little. Also tried a blend with a slight citrus twist and that's what I got. Maybe there is some mileage in comments about this aspect but the taste it produces does mellow after several kg of beans. It produces very slight static clumps and I find it best when used as intended - grinds go into a can that's then inverted over the portafilter - takes a bit of practice to finish up with them fairly level.

There is generally no need to worry about cleaning it out when beans are changed. It took a couple of shots to get rid of oil from my usual beans but that's all. Grinds were ok to use but a bit clumpy. It then went back to none. Not many people use beans this oily.

About sums it up really. ;) Not that this might help but Niche is bound to be suggested. I see grinders as a compromise for home use and currently feel Niche a pretty good one considering all round use.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Thanks John, I'm not at all surprised the Niche is first to be named: it's got a lot going for it.  I did hear some criticism of conical burr grind quality (which confused me a little given that I knew Mazzer used them in the Kony and Robur) and I wondered what that might mean for extraction consistency in the Zero, but it is interesting to hear your experience. It's certainly an attractive looking grinder I think (maybe Marmite for some) and I love the near-zero retention. 

Wow what an astonishing forum this is. What an incredible repository of knowledge. After occupying my own little coffee corner for so long, spending a handful of days dipping in and out of threads and reading up on the wealth of grinder knowledge in particular (for me at the moment at least) has been like being put into the Total Perspective Vortex. In a good way. As a result I put together a shortlist (which did include the Zero) and after much thought have decided to buy a Eureka Olympus 75 E High Speed with their Blow Up system and red speed burrs, which leaves me with sufficient change from my budget to buy a kilo of something from Square Mile... That feels like a result.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Philip HN said:

Wow what an astonishing forum this is. What an incredible repository of knowledge. After occupying my own little coffee corner for so long, spending a handful of days dipping in and out of threads and reading up on the wealth of grinder knowledge in particular (for me at the moment at least) has been like being put into the Total Perspective Vortex. In a good way. As a result I put together a shortlist (which did include the Zero) and after much thought have decided to buy a Eureka Olympus 75 E High Speed with their Blow Up system and red speed burrs, which leaves me with sufficient change from my budget to buy a kilo of something from Square Mile... That feels like a result.

Nice grinder well done 

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Congrats, the Eureka Oly 75 E has always been well thought of.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

1 hour ago, Philip HN said:

Have you purchased the Olympus 75E and Blow up system yet...?

No disrespect but you only joined 8 days ago....there is a lot to learn.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

41 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Have you purchased the Olympus 75E and Blow up system yet...?

No disrespect but you only joined 8 days ago....there is a lot to learn.

Have you tried this system out? Can you elaborate why you are questioning the decision?

• Like 4

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Great grinder and good choice, will be interested in hearing a review of the  'blow up'  system from someone who has bought it

Edited by jimbojohn55
  • Like 3

keep calm and grind flat

Absolutely no disrespect taken.  Yes I joined the forum 8 days ago and could be "over-enthusiastic bloke in a hurry with eyes closed who needs to be taken aside for his own good" but that's just a function of my often inefficient and frequently annoying tendency to research (to at least ten decimal places) with minimal input from others.  Coffee has been my passion for more than 30 years, and during that time I've been trying to produce espresso as best I can within the limitations of my equipment.   Rather like high end audio equipment I've always recognised that without a quality source the production end of your set up will always have its hands tied.  I've finally acquired a half decent espresso machine and I've allowed myself a sensible amount of time to get to know it and get the best I can out of it.  It is clear to me that the shortcomings of my grinder, despite its qualities (got to be careful here, I'll be offering it for sale 🤔) represent the weak link now. So with my head already stuffed with information about possible upgrades I joined the forum to see what others are saying, and to read about their experiences.  And seriously, you do have an amazing forum.  I'd been leaning towards Eureka but what I've read here and elsewhere has brought me conclusively to the Olympus75E.  No I haven't purchased it yet: I like doing business with Bella Barista and at present it's not in stock. But it will be, and then the journey and the learning starts again...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jimbojohn55 said:

Great grinder and good choice, will be interested in hearing a review of the  'blow up'  system from someone who has bought it

Thanks.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs and will certainly post something on the appropriate part of the forum once I've got to grips with it, if that would be lf interest.

• Like 3

Thanks.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs and will certainly post something on the appropriate part of the forum once I've got to grips with it, if that would be lf interest.
It would, honest reviews from a range of users are are one of the best things about this forum

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

My advice...don't buy the blow up system save your money. I am reviewing a Eureka grinder here at the moment the Atom Speciality 75E and I asked for the blow up system as well to see if it worked for single dosing or anything else.....On this grinder it doesn’t and I can't see why it would on the Olympus 75E, so save your money because the blow up system is expensive. I'm just finishing the Video where I talk about the "blow up system". I wish I had actually made some video of my attempts to make it work. I might if I get time.

The Olympus 75E is a fine grinder and I reviewed that back in the day (slow speed version). The Eureka Atom Speciality 75E is actually a tiny bit cheaper, super quiet, nice dosing direct into the portafilter and I think you might like it a whole lot better.

Don't listen to people who have not used either grinder.

My review will be published in the next few hours...................go watch the video and read the review.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

18 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

My review will be published in the next few hours...................go watch the video and read the review

I will.  It will be interesting to compare your findings with some positive (and to be fair some more hedged) reviews I've read elsewhere. For me, the price difference between the short hopper and the blow up equivalent feels worth the experiment. Trouble is I'm a stubborn git and I sort-of already know that if I bought the non-blow up hopper, I'd only go and buy the blow up one 'just because'.  And I say that despite the fact that it looks as if it could double as some kind of emergency sink unblocker. But I will read your review with interest. Thanks for alerting me to it.

On the grinder,  I think personal taste has to play a big part in deciding between two very similar (under the skin) grinders such as the Atom 75 Speciality and the Olympus 75E.  I will, when the time comes, go up to Wellingborough and have a proper play before getting the card out, but I have a thing about solidity and weight and fully expect to be walking away with the Olympus.

• Like 1

Just remember I've extensively used them both....Atom is solid and heavy, if that's your thing. I think if you used them both, you may come away with the Atom... ;)

The blow up system though...waste of time. Review pretty much says the same thing, with a little more detail.

Oh my god, he is entitled to listen to whom he wants Dave, plenty on here sprout and regurgitate stuff without actually having had hands on experience, you might for example not think X grinder at £2500 is the right choice for someone having never had x grinder on your bench, does that stop you forming your opinion on it based on the other variables out there?

There is so much fluff that gets sprouted around and resprouted around on here it’s nuts, folk who have only ever owned sub £500 grinders proclaiming them to be the best grinder ever (which they probably are in Their limited experience ). Folk can read across lots of forums, can speak to folk who know the items inside out, read reviews (like yours of the 75e) to gain some insight, but ultimately it is entirely up to them as to which grinder to plump for.

it was not that long ago that the mignon was the go to grinder, then the mazzer mini e then the e65e then the 75e then the ceado e37s now the niche. Times change, tech changes, coffee changes, and no one can have a perfect knowledge of everything out there. 

I for example have had MOST of the plus £1000 grinders on my bench and have a lot of experience in Getting the best out of them, understanding how they function, what the limitations are, what the pros are, what the alternatives are. If folk ask I am happy to talk to them to see if that is indeed what they need or want, but ultimately it is their choice.

Edited by coffeechap
  • Like 6

AKA Toffee chips

Ohh fight fight 😆 coffee time

😆

IMG_20191115_133354.jpg

Edited by Jony
  • Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Fraid not Jony.....not from my side....I'm just here to help people. I don't have any other interests my friend, as you well know having met me.

20 minutes ago, Jony said:

Ohh fight fight 😆 coffee time

😆

IMG_20191115_133354.jpg

Not from me

13 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Fraid not Jony.....not from my side....I'm just here to help people. I don't have any other interests my friend, as you well know having met me.

Most of us are here to help,  many of the folk that have met me At events run for the forum would also say the same, and I to am not interested in a bun fight over this, so save the popcorn Jony .

Edited by coffeechap
  • Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Quite a shitty reply, like I said on previous occasions I don't care about you or anyone else really, and the next time I see any of you I will tell your face. It was only jesting but don't worry I will for sure tell you what I think of you.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

In fact whilst I'm at it phone me if you want right now 07808512789 I will take the call

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

3 minutes ago, Jony said:

In fact whilst I'm at it phone me if you want right now I will take the call

I would suggest you take your number down from the forum.

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Why this constant attitude Jony ?

• Like 2

a grinder a lever and some beans