IGNORED

Niche Zero Popcorning

1 hour ago, JonathanK said:

3. My printed model looks and operates the same as your prototype (I presume).

So what I’m actually asking is:

1. Have you ever had the need to grind that fine with your prototype for espresso ?

2. Should I be worried that I need to grind that fine as it is much closer to ‘0’ than what I used before the installation of the disc. (My grinder is calibrated)

Thanks

1. No

2. No

3. I have no idea

Nothing here...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People are trying to weigh farts......

I completely forgot to do a mini review on the Niche Flow Control (NFC) Device I have been testing....well that's my name for it. I suppose part of my subconscious wanted to not say anything. It's sor

Sorry all, I'm on my mobile and was commenting on page 1 of the discussion... failed to see that there were another 6 pages of discussion.  I feel as stupid as you think I am. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JonathanK said:

Calibrated as in what you showed in your video.

I don’t see how two different people get their burrs to touch each other with such a difference as 8 to 10 marks.

2-3 marks is a more acceptable difference I guess.

Thats kind of my point. When these were going out to a lot of people at once there was a huge range of "numbers" that people were at for espresso so there is no calibration, just a bit of educated guesswork. Worrying about what number you are at on a largely made up range isn't worth doing. 

32 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Thats kind of my point. When these were going out to a lot of people at once there was a huge range of "numbers" that people were at for espresso so there is no calibration, just a bit of educated guesswork. Worrying about what number you are at on a largely made up range isn't worth doing. 

I wouldn’t that a made up range, it is determined by the physical gap (or no gap) between the burrs.

Once you turn the grind position clockwise until you can’t anymore - this means that this is your limit, and it is where you will damage the burrs.

If - on this setting, in order to get a decent shot time - you need to set it at 0 (just exaggerating a bit), this practically means that you have less play and going any finer could damage your burrs.

2 hours ago, JonathanK said:

I wouldn’t that a made up range, it is determined by the physical gap (or no gap) between the burrs.

Once you turn the grind position clockwise until you can’t anymore - this means that this is your limit, and it is where you will damage the burrs.

If - on this setting, in order to get a decent shot time - you need to set it at 0 (just exaggerating a bit), this practically means that you have less play and going any finer could damage your burrs.

I've settled on a grip that is only a bit more than needed to rotate the adjuster to calibrate Niche and also tested the calibration after rotating the centre burr a bit several times. More gripping pressure can move the calibration by a few dots. It needs a lot more which probably isn't a good idea. Doubt if this makes any more than 3 dots difference.

I'd have no worries about setting at zero or even off the scale within reason. So all in all if some one can't calibrate to a couple of dots poor you. The only complication is the burrs running in. Probably 5 or 6 dots in my case. I used it for 12months plus without recalibrating.

Lowest I have been is 2 but for an unusual bean and a small dose.

John

-

@JonathanK, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you had to go down 10 steps, so be it. How does the coffee taste? Are you happy with it? It can be all sorts: burrs age, how much coffee had gone through, your machine, your coffee.... you name it.

Just enjoy the grinder and your machine.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

21 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

It probably won't be linear.

The thread gives a linear change in space between the burrs so 1 dot change at say a setting at around 10 is a higher % grain size change than 1 dot at 20 would be.

I'm having to make part dot adjustments but it is much easier to do than other grinders I have used.

John

-

• 3 months later...

@dsc

Might be of interest- James Hoffman’s latest YouTube video discussing feeding beans in as slowly as possible into the grinder (ie bean by bean whilst it’s running) and the effect it has on grind size and resultant shot.... I thought immediately of this thread and some of the interesting discussion! Starts off with regrinding coffee but moves on about half way through.

He’s using a niche with NFC but doesn’t really talk about its effect on feed rate (unless I missed it).

9 minutes ago, tj893 said:

@dsc

Might be of interest- James Hoffman’s latest YouTube video discussing feeding beans in as slowly as possible into the grinder (ie bean by bean whilst it’s running) and the effect it has on grind size and resultant shot.... I thought immediately of this thread and some of the interesting discussion! Starts off with regrinding coffee but moves on about half way through

He’s using a niche with NFC but doesn’t really talk about its effect on feed rate (unless I missed it).

Fairy certain you've tagged the person who emailed JH. Not sure on this I think DaveC recommended something like the NFC to Niche off the back of experiments feeding a few beans at a time into a grinder/splitting doses that were started by DSC. Seems like JH isn't aware that the NFC is not just an anti-popcorn disc it's actually there to control the flow into the grinder hence the name. The way he mentions it seems like he thinks it's an accident it has its effect. Good to see the topic getting widespread attention anyway, maybe we'll see more grinders being tested from it.

@tj893 - back in 2015...

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/25626-a-not-so-quick-experiment-single-dosed-grinders/

Or refer back to around post #126 on this thread.

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

55 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@tj893 - back in 2015...

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/25626-a-not-so-quick-experiment-single-dosed-grinders/

Or refer back to around post #126 on this thread. emoji6.png

Indeed- it wasn’t that I thought JH was onto anything new, more that I recognised some of dsc’s theories that I’d already read here. 

As Rob1 says, it could be interesting to see what happens now that he’s put it out there on his platform. Albeit 5 years late!

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

The Niche Accessories site has the solution to popcorning. 

The Niche Flow Control Disc is a simple after-market installation for first generation Niche Zero grinders.

The small (40mm), clear disc is made from food grade polycarbonate. When installed into the bean funnel, the Niche Flow Control Disc prevents 'pop-corning' - coffee beans jumping around the funnel prior to being fully fed into the burrs.

Because the Niche Flow Control Disc feeds beans into the burrs at a steady pace the grind consistency is also improved.

Click here to see how easy it is to install the Niche Flow Control Disc.

One disc per order.