mark8805

Niche Zero Popcorning

1 hour ago, JonathanK said:

3. My printed model looks and operates the same as your prototype (I presume).

So what I’m actually asking is:

1. Have you ever had the need to grind that fine with your prototype for espresso ?

2. Should I be worried that I need to grind that fine as it is much closer to ‘0’ than what I used before the installation of the disc. (My grinder is calibrated)

Thanks

1. No

2. No

3. I have no idea

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

3 hours ago, JonathanK said:

Calibrated as in what you showed in your video.

I don’t see how two different people get their burrs to touch each other with such a difference as 8 to 10 marks.

2-3 marks is a more acceptable difference I guess.

Thats kind of my point. When these were going out to a lot of people at once there was a huge range of "numbers" that people were at for espresso so there is no calibration, just a bit of educated guesswork. Worrying about what number you are at on a largely made up range isn't worth doing. 

32 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Thats kind of my point. When these were going out to a lot of people at once there was a huge range of "numbers" that people were at for espresso so there is no calibration, just a bit of educated guesswork. Worrying about what number you are at on a largely made up range isn't worth doing. 

I wouldn’t that a made up range, it is determined by the physical gap (or no gap) between the burrs.

Once you turn the grind position clockwise until you can’t anymore - this means that this is your limit, and it is where you will damage the burrs.

If - on this setting, in order to get a decent shot time - you need to set it at 0 (just exaggerating a bit), this practically means that you have less play and going any finer could damage your burrs.

2 hours ago, JonathanK said:

I wouldn’t that a made up range, it is determined by the physical gap (or no gap) between the burrs.

Once you turn the grind position clockwise until you can’t anymore - this means that this is your limit, and it is where you will damage the burrs.

If - on this setting, in order to get a decent shot time - you need to set it at 0 (just exaggerating a bit), this practically means that you have less play and going any finer could damage your burrs.

I've settled on a grip that is only a bit more than needed to rotate the adjuster to calibrate Niche and also tested the calibration after rotating the centre burr a bit several times. More gripping pressure can move the calibration by a few dots. It needs a lot more which probably isn't a good idea. Doubt if this makes any more than 3 dots difference.

I'd have no worries about setting at zero or even off the scale within reason. So all in all if some one can't calibrate to a couple of dots poor you. The only complication is the burrs running in. Probably 5 or 6 dots in my case. I used it for 12months plus without recalibrating.

Lowest I have been is 2 but for an unusual bean and a small dose.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

It probably won't be linear.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

@JonathanK, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you had to go down 10 steps, so be it. How does the coffee taste? Are you happy with it? It can be all sorts: burrs age, how much coffee had gone through, your machine, your coffee.... you name it.

Just enjoy the grinder and your machine.

21 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

It probably won't be linear.

The thread gives a linear change in space between the burrs so 1 dot change at say a setting at around 10 is a higher % grain size change than 1 dot at 20 would be.

I'm having to make part dot adjustments but it is much easier to do than other grinders I have used.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg