mark8805

Niche Zero Popcorning

Have had a go at trying to stop popcorning as you can see below, got the tip from home-barista.com, ordered them from Amazon USA, no postage as I am a Prime member, they just need trimming down to correct size, Velcro it in and Bob's your uncle, worked a treat for me, here is the link if anyone is interested

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00080FPZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also got another tip, which again was a new one on me, get an Atomiser and give the beans a quick spray before grinding to reduce clumping and again it worked a treat, now this may be an old trick, sorry for that, new one for me!!

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

• Like 2

Osmio Zero Reverse Osmosis System-No Installation, Niche Zero, Profitec 600 Dual Boiler.

Have had a go at trying to stop popcorning as you can see below, got the tip from home-barista.com, ordered them from Amazon USA, no postage as I am a Prime member, they just need trimming down to correct size, Velcro it in and Bob's your uncle, worked a treat for me, here is the link if anyone is interested
https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00080FPZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also got another tip, which again was a new one on me, get an Atomiser and give the beans a quick spray before grinding to reduce clumping and again it worked a treat, now this may be an old trick, sorry for that, new one for me!!
IMG_0602.thumb.jpg.07907193fb7997ee96c5265a64cff56b.jpg
IMG_0601.thumb.jpg.801f72c86fd9484bfb23ed91f8683814.jpg
Pringles lid also works & has the added benefit of repurposing single use plastic.
  • Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Has this made a difference to the taste or has it simply stopped the visual pop corning. You generally need some sort of weight on the beans to actually improve the grind consistency and as soon as half the beans are ground there will be headspace under that grommet and popcorning will still happen, just with less headroom. 

Didn't DaveC say not to spray beans in a Niche 'cos it works against the grinder materials?

7 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Didn't DaveC say not to spray beans in a Niche 'cos it works against the grinder materials?

He very probably did as it could lead to the burrs rusting. Static is pretty low on Niche even from new anyway. Very low actually.

Popcorning problem in Niche read across from flat burr grinders makes me laugh but as people sometimes like to modify things fine but don't expect it to really do anything what so ever in terms of taste especially done this way.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

I quite enjoyed watching the occasional bean do the dance of death as he tried to avoid his fate. Then never escaped it however hard they tried though.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mctrials23 said:

Has this made a difference to the taste or has it simply stopped the visual pop corning. You generally need some sort of weight on the beans to actually improve the grind consistency and as soon as half the beans are ground there will be headspace under that grommet and popcorning will still happen, just with less headroom. 

Not had any popcorning since using it, 5 days now, I suppose only time will tell.

Osmio Zero Reverse Osmosis System-No Installation, Niche Zero, Profitec 600 Dual Boiler.

9 hours ago, mark8805 said:

Not had any popcorning since using it, 5 days now, I suppose only time will tell.

That's a nice, neat job and less hassle than other solutions, but bear in mind that it won't actually stop pop corning, it'll just reduce the distance the beans jump and stop you from viewing it.

I can't remember the reason why, but Dave definitely said to never spray the beans before grinding. There's no need to anyway as the Niche has virtually zero static, which is one of the best things about it. I used to always put a couple of drops of water in with the Pharos but have never done it with the Niche.

Can you get free delivery with any US Prime product if you have UK Prime? How does customs charges work on more expensive items?

I just use an Azera lid (the plebs I live with...) on top of the beans and it works fine! :)

• Like 1

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Jellybean lid for me...

dc0f270c3fca4198f8940337bb26de18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

That's a nice, neat job and less hassle than other solutions, but bear in mind that it won't actually stop pop corning, it'll just reduce the distance the beans jump and stop you from viewing it.
I can't remember the reason why, but Dave definitely said to never spray the beans before grinding. There's no need to anyway as the Niche has virtually zero static, which is one of the best things about it. I used to always put a couple of drops of water in with the Pharos but have never done it with the Niche.
Can you get free delivery with any US Prime product if you have UK Prime? How does customs charges work on more expensive items?

Virtually anything which roughly fits will do: I use some lids from plastic ramkins.

I use the aeropress clip on screen can be used two ways for large and small dowe.

15 hours ago, cold war kid said:

Since introducing my 'Yellow Thing' had no popcorning at all and everyone is write about the spraying, I contacted Niche and they confirmed this, not that I doubted Dave one bit, it was just something new that I had read about and foolishly did not consult these Forums to get a definitive answer, thanks to all of you that answered though.

3 hours ago, richwade80 said:

Jellybean lid for me...

dc0f270c3fca4198f8940337bb26de18.jpg

I like this idea and I LOOOOVE jelly beans, do you know which specific tin you got or was it a gift or was it this one?

GOURMET_JELLY_BEANS_CANISTER__400G.jpg

Edited by mark8805
Add a Pic

I like this idea and I LOOOOVE jelly beans, do you know which specific tin you got or was it a gift or was it this one?

GOURMET_JELLY_BEANS_CANISTER__400G.thumb.jpg.8ad6ea9796da8488f14f275abdcd6554.jpg

It'll be This jar though most likely available cheaper elsewhere.

This jar is much better value though obviously the lid won't fit a niche.

I just use an Azera lid (the plebs I live with...) on top of the beans and it works fine!

Me too! And the orange lid looks good against the black niche

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

GOURMET_JELLY_BEANS_CANISTER__400G.thumb.jpg.8ad6ea9796da8488f14f275abdcd6554.jpg

It’s these bad boys alright.

It’s Christmas soon... you’re bound to get some!

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

15 hours ago, richwade80 said:

It’s these bad boys alright.

It’s Christmas soon... you’re bound to get some!

Winging their way to me from Amazon as I speak, must be popular as many other sites had sold out, will try this method whilst happily consuming its and lots of Jelly Beans, will have to finish them really rather quickly as I need the lid??

• Like 1

Winging their way to me from Amazon as I speak, must be popular as many other sites had sold out, will try this method whilst happily consuming its and lots of Jelly Beans, will have to finish them really rather quickly as I need the lid
Sounds like you need a spare airscape!
  • Like 1

I was looking at popcorning solutions and it seems there is always a little head space above the beans with some of the lids used, has anyone tried the use of sponge or foam? Maybe a med/high density sponge sphere, halved then attached to the lid (flat cut side attached to underside of the lid) to take up most room once the lid is closed? It could deform around the beans a little when the lid is closed and regain form as they grind, keeping a kind of positive pressure on the dose but not encroaching on the burrs? I’m thinking this would reduce a large amount of the popcorning. There are a few such spheres available on google. 
Would this make sense at all? 

2017 Rancilio Silvia + Rocky

2018 Rancilio Silvia + modded SJ

2019 ACS Vesuvius sequential warm up, IMS 18g Basket + modded SJ

35 minutes ago, MrOrk said:

I was looking at popcorning solutions and it seems there is always a little head space above the beans with some of the lids used, has anyone tried the use of sponge or foam? Maybe a med/high density sponge sphere, halved then attached to the lid (flat cut side attached to underside of the lid) to take up most room once the lid is closed? It could deform around the beans a little when the lid is closed and regain form as they grind, keeping a kind of positive pressure on the dose but not encroaching on the burrs? I’m thinking this would reduce a large amount of the popcorning. There are a few such spheres available on google. 
Would this make sense at all? 

I'd just wait a bit if I were you....bung a pringles lid in or whatever for now... don't overthink it and just wait.

• Like 3

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

This is madness!??? Why get knots in knickers over a stray bean or two taking a micro-second longer to drop & grind?

Popcorn is a non-issue, IMHO... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavecUK said:

I'd just wait a bit if I were you....bung a pringles lid in or whatever for now... don't overthink it and just wait.

This sounds a bit cryptic @DavecUK  ... Something on the horizon...?

FWIW I use the lid from a Chinese teapot to reduce popcorning ?

Edited by Jon_Foster

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

f4dd6b89cabbe8390b41eca1553b1b80.jpg

A few people use these, or 3D printed variants

• Like 2