Cooffe

Bath & Bristol

Right - I know the Bristol one has been asked millions of times, and I've heard good things about Brew Coffee Company, Small Street and The Playground. I think we'd be popping in for some food as well, so am really eager to hear from locals/regulars/people who have visited a few to see what they'd recommend.

As far as Bath - I'm not sure, we're popping in for a day or so and I think we'd be more open to get food elsewhere.

It goes without saying that I'll likely sample a few of them, but just wondering if anyone has any advice on must-go-to's or avoid like the plagues (aside from the usual chains).

Cheers all! 

Colonna & Smalls is in Bath. It was good, but I was possibly a little bit underwhelmed because of all the hype about the brand. 

Mokoko Coffee is pretty good, but they seemed pretty stressed the twice I went in to get takeaways and one of them pissed my wife off in the way she spoke to her. Nice cakes. 

Avoid Cascara, IMO. I seem to remember that I asked what their guest was and they looked perplexed by the question. The house blend was less than good. 

• Like 2

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Oh, and the Colombian Coffee Company: not strictly speciality IMO, but I enjoyed a Cafe Bombon there and that's good enough for me! Tiny seating space, though. 

• Like 1

Coffee by the Casuals

Bristol: Harts Bakery. It's by Bristol Temple Mead station. It's bakery goods, but really good stuff. Extract Coffee is served very nicely indeed. If it's a weekend you will probably have to fight for a table. 

• Like 2

Coffee by the Casuals

9 minutes ago, filthynines said:

Bristol: Harts Bakery. It's by Bristol Temple Mead station. It's bakery goods, but really good stuff. Extract Coffee is served very nicely indeed. If it's a weekend you will probably have to fight for a table. 

Cheers for all the replies buddy. I did see Harts bakery - was planning on popping in for some baked goods etc but didn’t realise they did coffee too. Will have to give it a try.

cheers for the Bath suggestions too - I’ll have a read of some of the reviews online on the recommended places and see if I can see what gear they have... we’re going down this Friday to the Cotswolds but we’re making a trip to bath & Bristol on one of the days so hoping to find some good places to eat and drink!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Cheers for all the replies buddy. I did see Harts bakery - was planning on popping in for some baked goods etc but didn’t realise they did coffee too. Will have to give it a try.

cheers for the Bath suggestions too - I’ll have a read of some of the reviews online on the recommended places and see if I can see what gear they have... we’re going down this Friday to the Cotswolds but we’re making a trip to bath & Bristol on one of the days so hoping to find some good places to eat and drink!

You're most welcome. I can't remember who sent me in the direction of Harts Bakery when I first visited Bristol for work, but it was well worth going out of my way. Parking can be a pain, so beware! 

• Like 1

Coffee by the Casuals

More info here.

Bath
https://coffeeforums.co.uk/index.php?/topic/47922-Bath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

I was pretty underwhelmed by colonnas on a recent visit. Best experience I had was in nearby Frome in a place called Frama - delicious clever brew of a colonna roasted coffee, and the flat white from their decent espresso machine was the best I can remember having in some time

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another great little place in and around Bath is Gilou’s in Bradford on Avon, he is just really passionate and makes fantastic coffee

AKA Toffee chips

We have a Society cafe in Oxford which is absolutely great - I believe they have a cafe in Bath as well. Never been in it though, but it should be good if its anything like the Oxford cafe. 

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

On 05/11/2019 at 18:06, filthynines said:

Colonna & Smalls is in Bath. It was good, but I was possibly a little bit underwhelmed because of all the hype about the brand. 

Mokoko Coffee is pretty good, but they seemed pretty stressed the twice I went in to get takeaways and one of them pissed my wife off in the way she spoke to her. Nice cakes. 

Avoid Cascara, IMO. I seem to remember that I asked what their guest was and they looked perplexed by the question. The house blend was less than good. 

Oh absolutely. I think Colonna is unbelievably overrated, and I spoke to quite a few roasters when I went to the london coffee festival this year, and didn't hear many good words about the folk at the top of their management 😕 - I believe in the family / community vibe!

I think Cascara is meant to be a good go to, but I'd fully 100% recommend Mokoko. Society is also quite nice!

• Like 1

We have a Society cafe in Oxford which is absolutely great - I believe they have a cafe in Bath as well. Never been in it though, but it should be good if its anything like the Oxford cafe. 
Yes have been to Society in Bristol and Oxford...very consistent and really make coffee the priority. Also good selection of beans, coffee mags etc.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I haven't managed to get there this year, but thought Colonna and Smalls was exceptional every time that I've been (maybe 10 times or so). I enjoy the vibe and the people were all nice but generally busy when I was there. 

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Went to Colonna yesterday and was actually given a free espresso because I hadn’t tasted one run through an EK before, so he brought one over with my flat white. Also went to Lansdown(?) bakery and it was ok but I couldn’t make a fully informed decision as it was a flat white again...

went to small street & brew plus coffee today and it was good. Bonus points that I went to Playground and they made a bear in my girlfriends hot chocolate. Fair play to them, the coffee tasted good too. And the drunk card game thing was quite fun with a couple other of my mates.

1ECE111D-935A-4DEC-8D30-3B89ED997D41.jpeg

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 17:12, fluffles said:

I was pretty underwhelmed by colonnas on a recent visit. Best experience I had was in nearby Frome in a place called Frama - delicious clever brew of a colonna roasted coffee, and the flat white from their decent espresso machine was the best I can remember having in some time

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have heard many good things about Frama. Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely go now