sdmc303

Rancilio Silvia E + Rancilio Rocky Grinder - HELP!

Hi guys - wondering if you could help us trouble shoot this machine a little.  (Rancilio Silvia E with Rancilio Rocky Grinder.)

For we feel there is something significantly wrong with it. 

For the past 2 weeks (since we received it) we have been trying to get good results.  

We have been temperature surfacing in all different ways. Grinding down to the lowest finest setting possible and are still experiencing really fast (5 seconds) flows and virtually zero creama. Obviously there is something not right. I have not touched anything else in or on the machine as yet.. 

Any suggestions on for what to do next? 
Thanks

Hi guys - wondering if you could help us trouble shoot this machine a little.  (Rancilio Silvia E with Rancilio Rocky Grinder.)
For we feel there is something significantly wrong with it.    For the past 2 weeks (since we received it) we have been trying to get good results.     We have been temperature surfacing in all different ways. Grinding down to the lowest finest setting possible and are still experiencing really fast (5 seconds) flows and virtually zero creama. Obviously there is something not right. I have not touched anything else in or on the machine as yet..    Any suggestions on for what to do next?  Thanks

Which coffee are you using? Where did you buy it from? Are you purging the grinder? I.e.: throwing away the first 8g before a session? How are you preparing the basket? Are you using a double basket? How much coffee are you putting into it? How are you tamping?
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Which coffee are you using? Where did you buy it from? Are you purging the grinder? I.e.: throwing away the first 8g before a session? How are you preparing the basket? Are you using a double basket? How much coffee are you putting into it? How are you tamping?

Hi and thanks for input.. 

We are using average beans from Italy.. No small indi roasters around here..

Purging not really but will try (doubtful its having the kind of impact we are experiences but yeah).. 

around 16g of coffee in double basket and tampered with correct stainless steel tamper.

Hope that helps.. I'm convinced it's the pressure valve needing adjustment but it is a new machine.. 

Hi and thanks for input.. 
We are using average beans from Italy.. No small indi roasters around here..
Purging not really but will try (doubtful its having the kind of impact we are experiences but yeah).. 
around 16g of coffee in double basket and tampered with correct stainless steel tamper.
Hope that helps.. I'm convinced it's the pressure valve needing adjustment but it is a new machine.. 

I very much doubt it.

I bet it’s your “average beans from Italy”.

Where are you based? Are you in the UK? If so, you can order them online.

Make sure you use freshly roasted beans. Also, make sure your basket is levelled and dosed correctly.

• Like 1

Brew pressure at 8.5 bar static, use fresh beans.

• Like 1

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Thanks guys!

We're in Italy actually.. Just moved down. 

There is a decent cafe near by - I could ask for fresher beans from them. 

BUT.. (time for a wee rant)
..seems like a of a lot of effort (time+money etc) to scrape out a good coffee from an expensive machine..no? 

It's like once you start..you are dragged into another expense.. then another.. then another. 

We assumed investing in a good machine would eliminate this. 

Please excuse our ignorance.. we are new to this level of home brewing but are kind of being put off a little.

- like we have fallen for some posh fad..that drains your wallet. Sorry.. hopefully you can understand our frustration here. 

RANT OVER :)

We will try some fresher/better beans asap and report back. In the meantime I'll let the machine warm up :)

• Like 1

Again.. Apologies for the post above. 

Clearly we are frustrated at what we are experiencing after what we have invested into it.. 

Anyone would be.

Appreciating all the input. 

Thank you

55 minutes ago, sdmc303 said:

Again.. Apologies for the post above. 

Clearly we are frustrated at what we are experiencing after what we have invested into it..

Realistically you have bought a low end espresso machine and a grinder that is well beyond it's sell by date...the RR is not a great grinder. If you add this combination to poor quality/stale beans, then it's not going to give great results. The best thing you can do is get better coffee that is fresh e.g. roasted within the last month. Persevere with the Rocky grinder until you can get something better and post a video of your shot technique from grind to tamp to producing the shot.

You will then get more useful feedback.

P.S. I have tested some Silvias, but declined to produce a review!

Edited by DavecUK

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

UPDATE:

I have just gone and picked up some "fresher" beans from local cafe. They gave me a sample to test - very kind of them.

I then went and did the full routine of a 30 minute machine warm up. Followed by a water flush till the light came back on. (for temperature surfacing)

Then waited 30 seconds before pulling the shot. In the meantime I had the new fresher beans grinding on the finest setting and used 8g's in a single basket. 

Tampered firmly and cleaned off the edges. Went for the poor and had exactly the same results as previous attempts. 

Probably your Rocky doesn't grind fine enough for espresso as it should. Is it new?
Zero point can be calibrated as well:

Edited by L&R
  • Like 1

GaggiaEnthusiast

make the video

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, L&R said:

Probably your Rocky doesn't grind fine enough for espresso as it should. Is it new?
Zero point can be calibrated as well:

Thank you.. This was my next thought as well. It is second hand - yes.. 

But seems in great condition.  I will try this and report back. 

Also, you see and hear of lots of folk over the years having great success with these two machines. For those of us on some kind of budget - anyways.. 

7 minutes ago, sdmc303 said:

Also, you see and hear of lots of folk over the years having great success with these two machines. For those of us on some kind of budget - anyways.. 

The video only needs to be grinding, pulling the shot, so we can see what you are doing....are you saying it takes 37m to make a shot?

The people who have great success with the combination you have, usually have not used anything else, so they speak from their particular frame of reference. Unfortunately they are not all chiming in to help you are they?

A photo of the burrs of your grinder would be good because it's possible you need replacement burrs. Unless you know how old it is and where it has been used (e.g. in a small cafe?)

Edited by DavecUK

18 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

It does seem that it will grind to espresso levels if it's adjusted correctly so the video should help. When you clean it all up the thread on the top burr carrier should be greased. Getting the correct grease isn't that easy so some people have used a very thin smear of unflavoured lip salve. That's probably a better option than typical silicone grease.

Personally I wouldn't replace the burrs unless they are obviously worn or chipped. Problem with new burrs is that they need to grind a significant quantity of beans at espresso levels  before they preform as they should.

John

-

• Like 1

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Rocky burrs are quite soft so you'll probably find yours are worn & need replacing. They're not that expensive though & with a new set you'll know they're as good as they can be.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Thanks guys. .

So I took the Rocky apart this afternoon and cleaned it all out. Removed the burs and cleaned them too. 

Unfortunately I did all this before seeing the comment regarding Greasing it.. I did have a moment before putting it back together where i thought that would be a good idea.. oh well. 

I re-calibrated it also.. Tested another shot and there was a slight improvement. Was able to pour for almost 20 secs and got a small amount of creama on top this time too. 

Is everyone advising against the idea that it could also be a pressure adjustment change that could help? 

First of all sort your grinder, probably new burrs are needed, this grinder has to choke the machine at its finest settings, this is your main problem.

BR

GaggiaEnthusiast