teejay41

Basket, screen & puck

What I'm about to say should be obvious to everyone, but although I have owned a Verona for over four years now and used it daily, it has only just occurred to me.

I’ve been experiencing quite a lot lately the spent puck sticking to the screen and the basket coming away empty. It varies, with some beans more inclined than others, but my current batch (Columbia La Crystalina from Rave) is particularly bad in this respect. Releasing the portafilter gently and finding it empty, I have carefully hooked it back on again with the best positional accuracy I can manage then partially released and jiggled it around vigorously in the hope that on the next withdrawal, the puck would be in the basket. Invariably there would be coffee grounds spread over the edge of the basket and in the portafilter securing groove of the group head... a bit of a pain to clean... not to mention a very caked up screen.

But now, I release the portafilter by twisting the handle a little and then run the pump for one second or less. Result - puck nicely in the basket, clean screen and on emptying the basket the whole puck falls out cleanly with barely a trace left.

I can't imagine why I didn't think of this before; it's so simple and obvious. Am I the only one who hasn't twigged until now?

By the way, the Verona is superb. I can't think of any machine I would prefer over it. Its only minor failing is that the water tank can run out without warning and the machine stop dead in the middle of a pull. Some kind of low water warning device would make the machine absolutely perfect.

Tony.

Edited by teejay41
typo
  • Like 1

QM Verona with 0.5mm gicleur & IMS 200µm screen; Mazzers SJ & Royal with single-dose mods and precision adjustment dials by timmyjj21; naked PF; VSTs 15, 18, 20 & 22; Chinese Distribution Thing; Pergtamp & Torr XS convex; Brewista & other scales; Brita Pro Quell 1200; Gene Café 101A. Loadsa bits'n'pieces 'cos too much is never enough!

Some Sage users who get the same problem are familiar with this move.  I can never understand what makes it happen but I'm glad I don't get it 😁

Rocket Mozzafiato Type V + VST Baskets   Niche Zero   Pullman BigStep + Joey Handle   //   Occasional V60

@teejay41    Do you lower the brew lever quickly ?  The sudden drop in pressure can cause a slight vacuum which tends to lift the puck out of the basket.

Hi Frank... thanks for your reply.

Yes, I suppose I do shut off pretty quickly. I'll try it more slowly, but I still think my running the pump for a moment is the way to go. The screen is washed by this and the puck drops cleanly from the basket. No knocking required, just turn the PF upside down and the puck falls out. I always ran the pump briefly anyway, after the PF had been removed, to clean it with kitchen roll paper.

• Like 1

QM Verona with 0.5mm gicleur & IMS 200µm screen; Mazzers SJ & Royal with single-dose mods and precision adjustment dials by timmyjj21; naked PF; VSTs 15, 18, 20 & 22; Chinese Distribution Thing; Pergtamp & Torr XS convex; Brewista & other scales; Brita Pro Quell 1200; Gene Café 101A. Loadsa bits'n'pieces 'cos too much is never enough!