Cooffe

Another Restoration Thread - Mazzer Major Auto

Picked up this Major for £30 today. It runs, looks a bit (very) shoddy. Burrs look in decent nick... was formerly owned by the dark side (costa). I’m thinking doserless mod on it and a repaint and check over of all the electrics and a damn good clean... suggest to me what else should happen to it!!

Heres some g(l)ory pictures:

3E0C23B2-EBDA-469A-BBCE-2AB3C6C6726E.jpeg

4F7DE9C3-36BC-4E5F-AEC8-4704C2D0B428.jpeg

2D643DA8-082B-49E1-99BC-FD22A5DCD6BF.jpeg

• Like 1

Locks good for nomoney. Repaint it, make a doserless mod, put a new pair of burrs.

BR

Edited by L&R
  • Like 1

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

1 minute ago, L&R said:

Locks good for nomoney. Repaint it, make a doserless mod, put a new pair of burrs.

BR

Heh - my thoughts exactly. Not completely sure on age but my best guess is “Old”

Your serial nr starts with producing year, if I can see it right is 2007.

• Like 1

GaggiaEnthusiast

Just now, L&R said:

Your serial nr starts with producing year, if I can see it right is 2007.

Indeed it is - good eye!

So... It's now got all but the lower burr carrier off the top and am now tackling the doser - I don't think it's ever had a clean, so am going to have to pluck up the courage and go for the little fan arm things underneath. Might leave it if it shows signs of failure and dip the sodding lot in a puly caffe solution. Going to remove the top microswitch and bottom microswitch. From what I read, the top needs the terminals to be linked, and the bottom microswitch needs to have 2x black wires removed from terminal block. After that I can figure out how the hell to make it from an Off/On/Auto switch to just an off-on and make it a doserless - a bit worried about static though. Hopefully going to pick up a lens/cover from @jimbojohn55 and give it a rad paint job!

22 hours ago, Fez said:

Bargain! 

I guess at £30. The thing runs so its more than I was expecting! 

73293490_413178612699104_2091213997259882496_n.thumb.jpg.cee5e290afe449fce251d316413c7c28.jpg

• Like 1

Hows it run ? - should be fairly quiet, check for any bearing ware

removing the lower burr carier can be tricky, don't be tempted to lever it with a screw driver 😉

keep calm and grind flat

Just now, jimbojohn55 said:

Hows it run ? - should be fairly quiet, check for any bearing ware

removing the lower burr carier can be tricky, don't be tempted to lever it with a screw driver 😉

Haha it runs quiet! And smoothly! I've read that apparently some long M4 bolts should be used (3 off) and tightened individually to pull it out. Screwdriver is there for... gentle persuasion... 

I found things in there that I thought were rubber seals but were actually really compacted coffee. It was really smelly (think tobacco mixed with tar)...

Not looking forward to fiddling about with the electrics though...

The electrics are quite straight forward - the doser has a couple of microswitches - just trace the wires back to the base and replace them with a piece of wire between the two terminals

when using the m4 bolts the ends can damage the surface of the grind chamber - either pop some metal shims under them or at a pinch smooth / round over the ends of the bolts so they dont dig in the surface too much 

keep calm and grind flat

3 minutes ago, jimbojohn55 said:

The electrics are quite straight forward - the doser has a couple of microswitches - just trace the wires back to the base and replace them with a piece of wire between the two terminals

when using the m4 bolts the ends can damage the surface of the grind chamber - either pop some metal shims under them or at a pinch smooth / round over the ends of the bolts so they dont dig in the surface too much 

Ah cheers for the tip on the bolts! Might give them a file down before I do anything to round the tops like you say.

I think the top microswitch is fine and you just replace with the wire between the two, the other one I know has 2x red/black cables going into the terminals. I've read that you can bridge the switch (terminals 2 & 4) to make it run as an on/off switch as opposed to the on/off/auto switch. Do you know anything about that?

you may lock them screw heads into your power drill chuck (M4 heads should go in) to sand over their ends quickly and evenly

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cooffe said:

Ah cheers for the tip on the bolts! Might give them a file down before I do anything to round the tops like you say.

I think the top microswitch is fine and you just replace with the wire between the two, the other one I know has 2x red/black cables going into the terminals. I've read that you can bridge the switch (terminals 2 & 4) to make it run as an on/off switch as opposed to the on/off/auto switch. Do you know anything about that?

yes - just bridge the terminals - keep taking photos as you go, the interlock switch can be bridged in the same way on the terminal block in the base.

keep calm and grind flat

9 hours ago, jimbojohn55 said:

yes - just bridge the terminals - keep taking photos as you go, the interlock switch can be bridged in the same way on the terminal block in the base.

Ah I may look into that! So far just sorted out the top microswitch. I’ve used multi strand 1mm wire - should be ok right? 

4CEBF330-1C03-4BE9-9A17-8A48536C5D4B.jpeg

giphy.gif.373b9c42a7cb7161f9d23ab731a09de8.gif

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 2

Cleaned up the baseplate today and bits of the outside. Took the doser off too ready for dismantling (really not looking forward to that!). At least it’s looking a bit better and shinier...

74840B22-97E7-457F-BBE5-28B79FFDC404.jpeg

8611D4A4-D520-424A-9449-3FC5F1C38887.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cooffe said:

Ah I may look into that! So far just sorted out the top microswitch. I’ve used multi strand 1mm wire - should be ok right? 

yes - just cut a piece of the wires you remove - they wont ever be put back

I did some details somewhere about paint prep if it helps, I think it was either pimp my super jolly or pimp my Major thread - glad your getting into it now, - another Major rescued from the clutches of costa

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat

@jimbojohn55 cheers mate. Just looking at your threads now. For prep I understand it to be sand down to bare metal, filler in, sand down again, filler any more bits, acid etch 3-4 coats with 600g wet and dry in between coats and then 4-5 top coats with 1200g wet and dry in between? 

Also to anyone. What colours do we think?!

Anything by House of Kolor would look amazing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Didn't I read on another thread that someone took it to the car alloy /body work people and for around £45 they did a great job? I was actually trying to find that thread unsuccessfully earlier.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

5 minutes ago, M_H_S said:

Didn't I read on another thread that someone took it to the car alloy /body work people and for around £45 they did a great job? I was actually trying to find that thread unsuccessfully earlier.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yeah you can have then powdercoated but i think that's just too much hassle. I'll acid etch prime it and then find some rattle can paint I think with a few layers of clearcoat on top.

painted my Macap matte white, with two layers of matte clear coat. Now has a nice soft touch to it (in case you touch it...)

9de03a9cd44aa37b0b49d0b5e72af559.jpg

how about some stickers?

85f06c6fdb93dd9707ac9c4d24b3a51d.jpg

Did that very recently. if you want I can share print data

or...

72a2a980ab14d19c7dd9053225fb0df9.jpg

• Like 2

Stickers are interesting, I am waiting for my Royal and after powder coating will put some stickers on it

GaggiaEnthusiast

15 minutes ago, Hasi said:

painted my Macap matte white, with two layers of matte clear coat. Now has a nice soft touch to it (in case you touch it...)

85f06c6fdb93dd9707ac9c4d24b3a51d.jpg

emoji23.png Did that very recently. if you want I can share print data emoji56.png

Hmmm . . . Bar towel 🤔

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband