IGNORED

Mara X

15 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@Garfield  - I’m glad you figured out what’s going on. So, let me get this right: you sent the machine to them, they tested and tried coffee from it. They thought it wasn’t good too. They then adjusted the pressure down and they now think it makes a change, so that the espresso is better?

Yes. I have sent them everything, machine, grinder and coffee, even tamper 🙂

They tried first with my setup and found that salty taste in espresso. Then they adjusted it by lowering the pressure and increasing temp to 2 and said that coffee is great, like a juice. 8 people in service tried and said that it is great.

Servicer filled 18grams stock filter basket to full, slightly tapped by hand, grinded more into it and did not meassured extraction, but stoped on colour. It was finished around 28seconds after the first drop, so it is 40 and more with preinf. But he told me that i will have trouble to meassure extraction because of pump type. He also did a short flush ~2sec before locking handle.

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK it's done Lelit MaraX review completed and published. It was a huge job and I worked late into the night to get it done. Enjoy. https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

All ready and set just need a leveller and milk jug

MaraX arrived Monday and finally this evening managed to inbox it. Label removed, eco mode off. First shot 18g in 0g out in 50s Hmmm, I think I may have ground too fine and tamped too hard! Finest s

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Garfield said:

Yes. I have sent them everything, machine, grinder and coffee, even tamper 🙂

They tried first with my setup and found that salty taste in espresso. Then they adjusted it by lowering the pressure and increasing temp to 2 and said that coffee is great, like a juice. 8 people in service tried and said that it is great.

Servicer filled 18grams stock filter basket to full, slightly tapped by hand, grinded more into it and did not meassured extraction, but stoped on colour. It was finished around 28seconds after the first drop, so it is 40 and more with preinf. But he told me that i will have trouble to meassure extraction because of pump type. He also did a short flush ~2sec before locking handle.

Excellent. I bet you can’t wait. Keep us posted when you receive your machine back!

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

How would you advise to check the actual pressure on the puck?  In terms of accuracy is there any difference between a grouphead manometer and a portafilter manometer?

11 minutes ago, PD2020 said:

How would you advise to check the actual pressure on the puck?  In terms of accuracy is there any difference between a grouphead manometer and a portafilter manometer?

Well... if you just want to check your gauge is accurate, I think you can make a DYI kit. Get a gauge off eBay and a 3/8 bsp adapter. Thing is, you’ll need to unscrew the spouts, which are usually threadlocked. Or you attach a pressure gauge to the E61. I think it should be effectively the same for this purpose. 

however, I’m disregarding water expansion as it gets hot in the group and not as hot, or not at all, in the capillary tubing which leads to the machine’s pressure gauge. I don’t know if that’s on the cold or hot part of the machine. Water temperature difference could explain the difference in reading between the gauges as seen in@Garfield’s machine. But I don’t know for sure, as I don’t know enough about the design of the machine or hydraulics.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Guys what if the voltage of our house is not that stable will it caused the bar pressure not stable as well? Is it necessary to buy stabilizer for my espresso machine.. i afraid i might broke the mara x because the voltage of my in laws house.. huhu🙃

Btw does anybody try out hoffman new video prewet the puck before preinfusion 😁

Edited by KyNg
7 minutes ago, CoffeeTim said:

Hi everyone, does anyone knows the steam boiler pressure of all 3 temperature settings in the brew priority mode?

In brew priority mode the brain in the machine continually alters the steam boiler pressure to keep the E61 at the pre-set temperature for brewing the coffee without a flush. 

The MaraX will boost the steam up to 1.4-1.5bar from any of the pre-set brew priority temp settings ready to steam milk though.

7 hours ago, itguy said:

The MaraX will boost the steam up to 1.4-1.5bar from any of the pre-set brew priority temp settings ready to steam milk though.

Do you feel the mara x always boosts steam pressure to 1.4-1.5? 

I'm going to pay attention to the pressure on my next few shots but I don't think 1.4-1.5 is always the case.

1 minute ago, ChrisKon said:

Do you feel the mara x always boosts steam pressure to 1.4-1.5? 

I'm going to pay attention to the pressure on my next few shots but I don't think 1.4-1.5 is always the case.

Yes, as long as you wait long enough after the shot has been pulled. I tend to extract, clean PF and then steam. As long as I am not too quick with the cleaning of the PF, I regularly get 1.4bar or more. 

If you don’t, then try just cracking the steam wand open a bit for a second and then it should boost again a bit more after.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, KyNg said:

Guys what if the voltage of our house is not that stable will it caused the bar pressure not stable as well? Is it necessary to buy stabilizer for my espresso machine.. i afraid i might broke the mara x because the voltage of my in laws house.. huhu🙃

Btw does anybody try out hoffman new video prewet the puck before preinfusion 😁

The voltage stability will have no effect on extraction pressure for your machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

A quick note on the electronics for those getting the PID debug in case you haven't seen it already.

lever button (at least) is 5V, I repeat, button is DC5V.

So, get those shot timers rolling... 😉

ps. I will have soon an esp32 (BLE + mobile / MQTT + cloud) firmware plus the mobile app (ionic/capacitor).
All open source (MIT). I will inform asap but for those that want the C code to play on their own:

https://gitlab.com/jousis/marax_visualizer

• Like 1

Hi all, I have a small issue with my Mara X this morning. (All at Brew priority, temp setting #1) At the 30th min of warm up the steam pressure was still showing 2.6 bar (usually it should slowly drop back to below 1 bar after like 18 mins) and only went down to 1 bar at around 45th minute. The shot I pulled today was a failure, I think the temp was too hot and I can see the water boiling/some steaming when I engage the group head lever.

After pulling a shot, the steam pressure goes up to 2 bar which is unusual. Usually it only reaches 1.5 bar max. Is there anything that could cause this?

Hi all, I have a small issue with my Mara X this morning. (All at Brew priority, temp setting #1) At the 30th min of warm up the steam pressure was still showing 2.6 bar (usually it should slowly drop back to below 1 bar after like 18 mins) and only went down to 1 bar at around 45th minute. The shot I pulled today was a failure, I think the temp was too hot and I can see the water boiling/some steaming when I engage the group head lever.
After pulling a shot, the steam pressure goes up to 2 bar which is unusual. Usually it only reaches 1.5 bar max. Is there anything that could cause this?
Hmm... sounds like a brew thermocouple short circuited halfway.
2 hours ago, CoffeeTim said:
3 hours ago, zellleonhart said:

Hmm... sounds like a brew thermocouple short circuited halfway.

How do I check if the thermocouple short circuited? And which component is the thermocouple actually?

I did the OPV rerouting mod but it was okay for the past few days. Not sure if anything was affected by it.

UPDATE: cooled it down and warmed up again, all good now. Seems to be an one-off thing for now

Edited by zellleonhart

OPV only adjust the pressure of the brew water. It's not related to the steam pressure.

thermocouple is the temperature sensor used i commercial. In brew priority, the machine uses the brew head thermocouple to set the temperature of the boiler. if there are short circuit between the 2 different material wire, it will sense temperature outsidebthe brew head which is much colder. Thus the heater will keep heqting up the boiler and causes extremely high pressure.

Try to switch to steam priority and see if the pressure can maintain. In steam priority mode, it uses the thermocouple in the steam boiler to set the pressure in the boiler. In this mode, it is similar to most HX machines in the market. All you need to do to stabilize the brew temperature is to flush the group head before you brew your espresso.

Summary.
Brew priority - set temperature of the brew water and accept whatever the steam pressure/temperature required to achieve the specify brew temperature.

Steam priority - set the steam pressure/temperature and accept whatever result the brew temperature output.

For the time being, if you want to continue brewing your espresso, I recommend you to switch to Steam priority until you get proper fix from Lelit.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1