Bicky

Mara X

6 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Can you link to a retailer selling the profitec 300 for the same price as the MaraX? 

I'm living in Denmark (but the UK coffee forums are so much better than ours). So a Profitec 300 is around 1170 GBP locally https://www.kontracoffee.com/profitec-pro-300 and a MaraX can be ordered from Sweden (in stock now apparently) for 1100 GBP https://www.kaffecompagniet.se/103353

Posted (edited)

Don't order from the Swedish company, seems overpriced to me. £950 in the UK. 

Edited by DavecUK

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Out of this thread for a few days because work is crazy

I was also surprised at the time it takes between pulling the lever and seeing the first drop of coffee (9 secs for me) then I get to 36/37g out in 30 secs (total)

Taste is good but  not amazing so far. a bit sour but very acceptable. I realise I can probably go a bit finer then as my "30 sec" would be much short on another machine. Is this a fair assumption ?

12 minutes ago, damo said:

Out of this thread for a few days because work is crazy

I was also surprised at the time it takes between pulling the lever and seeing the first drop of coffee (9 secs for me) then I get to 36/37g out in 30 secs (total)

Taste is good but  not amazing so far. a bit sour but very acceptable. I realise I can probably go a bit finer then as my "30 sec" would be much short on another machine. Is this a fair assumption ?

Yes, as said before on this thread....I found 35s to be optimum for 17-18g of coffee. The pump flow rate is half that of a standard pump when not under pressure, under pressure that differential increases, hence the nice smooth ramp up.

This does mean that filling the headspace takes slightly longer than you're used to and the infusion phase lasts a bit longer as it percolates through the coffee.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I think the longer preinfusion really takes away any desire for myself to purchase the flow control paddle. Using predominantly light roasts right now and they're really spot on from the X so far :)

• Like 2

I do wonder how much of all the pressure profiling stuff is necessary for lighter roasts. From reading around a lot of forums, most people with pressure/flow profiling end up with a couple of profiles, usually ones that mimic a traditional spring lever and then a more traditional E61 pull for the medium/darker roasts. Then for lighter roasts the main thing you want is that slow pre-infusion which the mara gives. 

• Like 2

Sorry to divert from the profiling subject but I wanted to know what your cleaning routine was ? (it is my first prosumer machine)

I'm using bottled Volvic (aiming to get away from it because the plastic consumption freaks me out)

so far I've been doing group head brushing after each shot but no backflushing. Aiming at doing weekly backflushing with detergent like indicated in the user manual provided with the machine

Anyone advocating daily backflushing with water ?

What else do I need to know for general cleaning / maintenance ?

thx 

I'd certainly backflush with water daily, no hassle and worth it 

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Aergrind, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Sorry to divert from the profiling subject but I wanted to know what your cleaning routine was ? (it is my first prosumer machine)
I'm using bottled Volvic (aiming to get away from it because the plastic consumption freaks me out)
so far I've been doing group head brushing after each shot but no backflushing. Aiming at doing weekly backflushing with detergent like indicated in the user manual provided with the machine
Anyone advocating daily backflushing with water ?
What else do I need to know for general cleaning / maintenance ?
thx 

I have upgraded my Silvia yet but this is my cleaning plan when I do. 3869389a3905f3f6457e0fc48acf7353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Technically the steam flush was when I was thinking about a dual boiler - Minima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Don't order from the Swedish company, seems overpriced to me. £950 in the UK. 

Good point! I must play the waiting game then. Or maybe just settle and pick up the Profitec 300 if this lockdown ends up blocking Italian export for a long time

• Like 1

Scales arrived today, but i suspect i'm way out of where i should be. 18g into double basket, 35 secs extraction time (from lever up so 25 secs from pre-infusion if that makes any sense), 60ml (59.5g) into shot glass 😳

Advice please!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, Boxerman33 said:

Scales arrived today, but i suspect i'm way out of where i should be. 18g into double basket, 35 secs extraction time (from lever up so 25 secs from pre-infusion if that makes any sense), 60ml (59.5g) into shot glass 😳

Advice please!!!!! 

Simple, just grind finer to try and get 36g out in about 35 seconds - see if that tastes any better

Profitec Pro 600 Dual Boiler with Flow Control device + Niche Zero

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, damo said:

1-3 monthly with detergent dependent on usage, lube cam and lever spindle after a detergent backflush..  Clean shower screen and dispersion disk every 2 days-5 days depending on usage....do it manually with a toothbrush and dish soap....be gentle.

1 hour ago, Boxerman33 said:

Advice please!!!!! 

If you like a 60g shot great but in that timescale probably classed as a gusher. Start out by... 17g coffee in the small double they provide...30-34g output (whatever you like the taste of) in 35s from lifting the lever.

Obviously grind finer to get to this.

Edited by DavecUK

thanks guys, going to be an interesting, and i suspect frustrating, time getting all this sorted. I think i'll hang off ordering a new grinder, already too many variables!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxerman33 said:

thanks guys, going to be an interesting, and i suspect frustrating, time getting all this sorted. I think i'll hang off ordering a new grinder, already too many variables!! 

What grinder have you got ?

next attempt, 38s shot, 34.5g, so a step in the right direction.  Possibly a daft question, but i like a 60ml shot, do i keep the same ratios but just extract for longer?

14 minutes ago, Boxerman33 said:

next attempt, 38s shot, 34.5g, so a step in the right direction.  Possibly a daft question, but i like a 60ml shot, do i keep the same ratios but just extract for longer?

It's tricky as you move further away from accepted parameters. Perhaps try for 60 in 40s, as the longer extractions just end up with the Puck fracturing or channeling. 

well i'm enjoying the learning curve, probably had 20+ coffees today, albeit of wildly varying qualities!!!!

18g in / 37 out in 35 sec this morning but shot thin and sour .. Am I missing something here ?

I'm using a dark roast from coffee compass (Moka d'or) which I know really well and I know it's not supposed to be the taste in the cup.

Temp Setting on I

grinding finer and slowing down the shot had not helped taste-wise. Any idea ?

18g in / 37 out in 35 sec this morning but shot thin and sour .. Am I missing something here ?
I'm using a dark roast from coffee compass (Moka d'or) which I know really well and I know it's not supposed to be the taste in the cup.
Temp Setting on I
grinding finer and slowing down the shot had not helped taste-wise. Any idea ?

Hmm.... in 2018 you have another post in this forum saying your coffee tastes “salty”.

So, are you allowing the machine and the group to heat up? At least for 30 minutes?

If so, then it’s most likely your preparation routine not being good. Maybe a video of your coffee preparation, from grinding to drinking could help?

in 2018 I had a thermoblock machine and was struggling a lot

After loads of trial and error I managed to get some decent coffee with the thermoblock by griding very fine and using a higher temp setting and only drinking v. dark roast (moka d'or from coffee compass)

Now I'm using the same coffee and I find the result in the cup more acidic and thinner which is why I am really confused

1st shot this morning was after 25mn. maybe I should give it 40mn and see 

• Like 1

in 2018 I had a thermoblock machine and was struggling a lot

After loads of trial and error I managed to get some decent coffee with the thermoblock by griding very fine and using a higher temp setting and only drinking v. dark roast (moka d'or from coffee compass)
Now I'm using the same coffee and I find the result in the cup more acidic and thinner which is why I am really confused
1st shot this morning was after 25mn. maybe I should give it 40mn and see 

Yep, a DeLonghi Dedica. Nice upgrade!

Try that and see what’s like.

Which grinder have you? What do you do for basket prep? How are you levelling and tamping?