IGNORED

Mara X

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK it's done Lelit MaraX review completed and published. It was a huge job and I worked late into the night to get it done. Enjoy. https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

All ready and set just need a leveller and milk jug

the german distributor has apparently already received the machine  

Posted Images

9 hours ago, itguy said:

Interesting. I’ll see how I get on with the VST / stock shower screen combo and take things from there. 

Keep us update please.. i use ims 200NT and vst 15 and vst 18 mostly on 18 and do the upgrade from mignon to niche like you as well. Still working on the bar pressure that's sometimes not going to 10 and goes lower after reaching 10 not stable on 10.. maybe because of channeling as well i dont know still wondering.. because sometimes can get good result as well.. my workflow is quite good enough i thought blind shaker, wdt, tapping, cheap leveler, lelit tamper without polish.. hmm.. puck also looks good.. will try again tomorrow on new fresh beans. Wish me luck..

• Like 1
On 12/01/2021 at 03:10, jousis said:

A quick note on the electronics for those getting the PID debug in case you haven't seen it already.

lever button (at least) is 5V, I repeat, button is DC5V.

So, get those shot timers rolling... 😉

ps. I will have soon an esp32 (BLE + mobile / MQTT + cloud) firmware plus the mobile app (ionic/capacitor).
All open source (MIT). I will inform asap but for those that want the C code to play on their own:

https://gitlab.com/jousis/marax_visualizer

Hello jousis,

are you sure of that? Have you measured it? I asked Lelit Support and they gave me this answer.

MaraX works with DC tension. The micro works with mains voltage. 

Take care!

That´s why I am confused.

Greetings OF

16 minutes ago, OF90 said:

Hello jousis,

are you sure of that? Have you measured it? I asked Lelit Support and they gave me this answer.

That´s why I am confused.

Greetings OF

I am not an EE. Listen to them, not me.

I never opened the micro box, don't really want to loose time with these machines :D

Switch had 5VDC passing through, led 12VDC, SSR 12VDC IIRC.

Anyway, since everyone uses reed sensors, I did the same and changed my code so we can all (DIYers) be at the same page.

Until the manufacturers decide to enter the 21st century and give us modern electronics.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jousis said:

I am not an EE. Listen to them, not me.

I never opened the micro box, don't really want to loose time with these machines :D

Switch had 5VDC passing through, led 12VDC, SSR 12VDC IIRC.

Anyway, since everyone uses reed sensors, I did the same and changed my code so we can all (DIYers) be at the same page.

Until the manufacturers decide to enter the 21st century and give us modern electronics.

Thank you for the answer.

Then they may have misunderstood my question or don´t have specific information about the parts, because I asked them specifically about Part 9600080. But when the switch has 5VDC I like it, because my reed sensor does not work all the time. In the first 45min after switching the machine on it works most of the time. But after a longer time it stops working with the reed sensor. Sometimes it does not start or stops after 17sec.

Thats why I ordered an optocoupler (still waiting for it). But the brewing switch would be a cleaner setup to trip the shot counter and no 230V.

8 minutes ago, OF90 said:

Thats why I ordered an optocoupler (still waiting for it). But the brewing switch would be a cleaner setup to trip the shot counter and no 230V.

I had opto circuit in my previous lelit and with mara for a little. I found no real benefit over the reed in the long run.

Sure, in theory it is accurate (while reed is not) but with some interrupts and basic code, reed is good enough.

Maybe your placement is not correct ? try twisting the sensor 90degrees. Or get another one, without the plastic housing.
Also, get a proven code that works ok , for example marax_timer by alexrus works 100% as is. Mine also works but my software is bloated, if you want only a timer it does not worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, jousis said:

I had opto circuit in my previous lelit and with mara for a little. I found no real benefit over the reed in the long run.

Sure, in theory it is accurate (while reed is not) but with some interrupts and basic code, reed is good enough.

Maybe your placement is not correct ? try twisting the sensor 90degrees. Or get another one, without the plastic housing.
Also, get a proven code that works ok , for example marax_timer by alexrus works 100% as is. Mine also works but my software is bloated, if you want only a timer it does not worth the hassle.

Should have mentioned it. At the moment I use marax_timer by alexrus. Just my reed sensor does not work properly. Maybe it is the placement on the pump and i have to change it or the reed sensor is faulty. Or it is to hot for the sensor. I use a cheap senor called MC-38. What kind of reed sensor do you use? 

Great to see all the projects for the Lelit Mara X.

Edited by OF90
  • Like 1
On 26/01/2021 at 21:15, OF90 said:

What kind of reed sensor do you use? 

I have 2 random with plastic housing (like in alarms), one inside glass tube. All worked OK with maras pump.
I think I left inside the plastic one, similar to yours.

See the photos on the project (marax_timer) and place it at the same spot. Put the alu foil also and make sureit doesn't touch any brass that gets hot.

And check that your cable is not melting or anything.

Edited by jousis

Hey everyone, Happy Friday!

I'm generally someone that takes my time, have to answer urgent calls and also have a 3 year old that seems to want my attention everytime i want to make a coffee!

The above can sometimes impact my workflow especially when dialling in and have noticed my shots sometime feel hotter than they should be!! (Next time I'll stick in a thermometer in) I think this is because I'm taking more than 5 mins between pulling shots which I know in the Mara Xs case, you have to wait 15 mins for temp to stabilise  back to the intended brew temp range.

I wanted to ask, for whatever reason you'll be longer than 5 mins between pulling shots, would you give the Mara a quick flush to bring temp down and "reset" the 5 minute window?

Has anyone had problems with the pump staying on after pulling a shot despite pushing the lever right down? It has just started to happen to my machine in the last couple of days, the first time my partner didn't know what to do so just powered off the machine. The second time (a day later) I lifted the lever back up and down again and that sorted it.

Is there any basic maintenance I could be doing or is it one for Bella Barista if it continues to happen? It's my first machine so not sure how common things like this are

Edited by Mannion

Some one recently had issusew with the switch, its the spring switch behind the lever. If you take the lever off there adjustable with two small nuts Screenshot_20210107-204949.thumb.png.2d4a88b6717ff3a829550c68f0a7fb65.png

Way too early for this sh...

On 08/01/2021 at 21:28, Garfield said:

Yes. I have sent them everything, machine, grinder and coffee, even tamper 🙂

They tried first with my setup and found that salty taste in espresso. Then they adjusted it by lowering the pressure and increasing temp to 2 and said that coffee is great, like a juice. 8 people in service tried and said that it is great.

This is exactly the issue I'm getting with pretty much any coffee around 1:2 - 1:2.5.  Plenty of saltiness.

Going up to 1:5 gives nice shots.  I wouldn't call them sweet though, even with coffees that are described as sweet.

Recently I lowered my temperature to 92*C and I was pleased to find out it finally got rid of that 'itchy throat' sensation when drinking espresso as well as boosted aromas and flavour notes in some coffees (noticeable for 1:3 to 1:5 ratios).  I was actually quite impressed with how nicely some Ethiopian coffees can smell.  I never got that at 94*C.

But I still get heavily salty shots around more typical ratios of 1:2-1:2.5, like @Garfield and his flat-burr Eureka.  I imagine @skylark might be in the same boat too.   It doesn't make sense that we *have to* go to 1:5 to get into the tasty zone for every single coffee.

@jaffro - you're on MaraX, Niche, VST - you wouldn't describe your shots as salty at around your typical 1:2.25 ratio, would you?

2 hours ago, PD2020 said:

It doesn't make sense that we *have to* go to 1:5 to get into the tasty zone for every single coffee.

If you find that more often than not, 1:5 gives better results, what kind of coffee are you anticipating to use, that will allow you to extract at much shorter ratios?

If you have had great shots at 1:2 to 1:2.5, why aren't you sticking with that coffee/roaster?

You can always pull at these shorter ratios, or less, but you might have to compromise on extraction/time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PD2020 said:

This is exactly the issue I'm getting with pretty much any coffee around 1:2 - 1:2.5.  Plenty of saltiness.

Going up to 1:5 gives nice shots.  I wouldn't call them sweet though, even with coffees that are described as sweet.

Recently I lowered my temperature to 92*C and I was pleased to find out it finally got rid of that 'itchy throat' sensation when drinking espresso as well as boosted aromas and flavour notes in some coffees (noticeable for 1:3 to 1:5 ratios).  I was actually quite impressed with how nicely some Ethiopian coffees can smell.  I never got that at 94*C.

But I still get heavily salty shots around more typical ratios of 1:2-1:2.5, like @Garfield and his flat-burr Eureka.  I imagine @skylark might be in the same boat too.   It doesn't make sense that we *have to* go to 1:5 to get into the tasty zone for every single coffee.

@jaffro - you're on MaraX, Niche, VST - you wouldn't describe your shots as salty at around your typical 1:2.25 ratio, would you?

Hmm interesting!

For anyone's reference I'm on MaraX, Niche and a 15g VST (that may make a difference, imagine most are on 18g). 

My "go to" recipe is 16:36 in around 36-40 seconds and I generally work from there. Feel like I should be able to get a good shot in that region without having to go to longer shots to balance them out. Pretty much always on the 94 degree setting. 

I definitely wouldn't say I'm getting "salty" shots in that range with most coffees, apart from with the recent LSOL offering, which many people reported a saltiness until suitably rested. That was an anomoly though! 

I do find with some light roasts that I sometimes struggle to hit the sweet spot. Too fast a shot and the sourness kicks in, too slow and I get a slight ashiness in the background, which milk covers up, but doesn't give me exactly what I'm after in straight espresso. Getting a middle ground can be challenging for sure. 

My resounding success recently was with a washed Ethiopian from Moon roast, which was must have been the perfect balance of florals and milk chocolate. Worked absolutely perfectly with this set up. Think it was just a very slightly darker roast than I usually get (still very much a medium roast though) which still showcased all the subtle florals whilst being easy to extract. 

@PD2020 What beans are you  getting salty shots from? I could get the same and see what I can make from it?  

• Thanks 1

When my mara x eco mode is enable, I can hear the pump sound and little water come in drip tray from opv every 10 or 15mins during standby.

However, after I disable the eco mode,      it never happen again during standby.

Also, I find even the mara x is turn off, little water would come in drip tray from opv.

Is it normal?  Thank you.