filthynines

Artisan/Roastlogger and Amazon Dalian

So, a couple of questions:

• Do you all prefer Artisan vs Roastlogger. If so, is there a particular reason? Are there any pros to use RL instead?

• What hardware is preferred? Hasi said the below...

• Has anybody written a guide for setting it all up?

Thanks in advance!

On 28/06/2018 at 15:31, Hasi said:

A year later, yes!

In three steps:

- first, I tried with supplied K-Type with no interpretable results.

- then, I re-routed RT probe to MyPCLab USB module for testing purposes - worked ok. With 6mm sheaths (or is it 1/4in?) I couldn't really tweak Artisan to show constant rise, curves were a bit zig-zag'ish

- just this week, I installed two Dual PT-100 sensors and connected both controllers as well as MyPCLab. Readings are a bit off, still, but over the weekend I should be able to fix it :)

Looking forward to my next roast where I'll have to redo my last working profile (Finca Medina - Antigua, Guatemala)

Will post my experience!

PS: I still use an old version of Artisan (believe it's around V0.8 or so) for my roast computer is vintage by now...

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

On 21/10/2019 at 15:56, filthynines said:

So, a couple of questions:

• Do you all prefer Artisan vs Roastlogger. If so, is there a particular reason? Are there any pros to use RL instead?

• What hardware is preferred? Hasi said the below...

• Has anybody written a guide for setting it all up?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I currently use the Dalian (I have it since 10/2017) with Artisan, latest version. I run Artisan on a Raspberry Pi 3+ with 7" Touchscreen - in combination with an Arduino UNO with TC4+ board to get the "data" from Thermocouples plus adding some additional "functions" like "heater control" which can be controlled and logged in this setup via Artisan. I changed all Thermocouples to K-Type and added one near the "bean-window", by drilling a matching hole into one of the screws holding the glass-frame (see picture). (Btw. this implied also quite some "changes" on the electric side, e.g. having replaced the 'relais' with SSR, other displays, ... )

----

Now back to your question:

(1) To be honest - I never tried Roastlogger - but I am very happy with Artisan, as I can do all the things I want to do (and even more).

(2) I started my journey with the Dalian by implementing 2 additional (K-type) probes for logging: One at the "top" right point of the front plate (as ET), where the Dalian already had a place for (there I use one of the cheap 6mm China versions)  and one additional - much thinner one (1.5mm), also of much better quality - near the bean-glass (as BT) - see picture. Both connected to a Voltcraft K204 with serial/USB adapter, while connected to an older Win8 Laptop running Artisan 1.x. For me this was a perfect start, as there was no bigger change on the "hardware" required and I could still use the existing probes and displays as additional reference.

(3) I consulted the great manual (written by @DavecUK) which came with my Dalian. This was for me a great starting point to get familiar with this machine.

---

I hope this helps for a first idea - happy to share more details if needed / asked.

P1090427.JPG

Edited by frederic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@frederic That is incredibly helpful, thank you very much. I will read what you've written carefully, and I think I will have a few more questions for you! Thanks again

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals