ianskelly

best grinder for a londinium r?

Hi all, I've had my londinium for a couple of years and I am really happy with it but wonder if I can improve my espresso by upgrading my grinder? (I currently have a mazzer major with titanium burrs ) it will take me a while as I need to save my pennies but I am looking for a grinder that doesn't have a lot of retention as I only have 2 or 3 espesso's a day, I tend to drink medium /slightly darker chocolatey coffee prefably with a good mouthfeel, I would probably at a pinch be happy (well ish) upto £1000 as I want a grinder I will not want to change from, any suggestions? I am not really bothered about size as it will be in the utility room and I am the boss in my house and what I say goes ( or more accuretly I am a nancy boy so my wife leaves the kitchen area to me) 

thanks Ian 

Maybe Foundry Roasters EK43.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

If you know someone to claim the vat back :) yes slightly but it users can be traced.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Not been, I live in St Austell "awful" ? I have been to St Ives.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

For what's its worth, the Niche works exceptionally well for me with my LI.  And Mt Zion is definitely worth a visit. 

• Like 1

Cheers Phil the niche sounds great , easy to use and good value but would it give me a better taste in the cup than the mazzer major?

Not better but different as it’s a conical burr set. It will be more suited to darker roasts than the Mazzer. I prefer the Niche with dark roasts as it gives a fuller bolder flavour than my E37s with has large flats similar to your Mazzer.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lately there were several Mythos on a well known site. The retention is rather low and I have been enjoying mine a lot.

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

11 minutes ago, John Yossarian said:

Lately there were several Mythos on a well known site. The retention is rather low and I have been enjoying mine a lot.

Completely agree, the mythos is still one of my favourite grinders, super consistent and great grind quality 

AKA Toffee chips

Best to try what you can and decide that way. 

I don’t know which is the best grinder, yet...

I’m working away with my old rocky and new LR until the Monolith arrives, then I might have the answer?

Mount Zion sounds good will pop down.

2 minutes ago, NigelO said:

I don’t know which is the best grinder, yet...

I’m working away with my old rocky and new LR until the Monolith arrives, then I might have the answer?

Mount Zion sounds good will pop down.

By the rules of this forum, the best grinder is either the one you own or the one you are planning to buy. Anything else is rubbish. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

By the rules of this forum, the best grinder is either the one you own or the one you are planning to buy. Anything else is rubbish. 

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

& there was me thinking it was the one that's 4 X your budget!
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

thanks everyone for the suggestions the mythos sounds a good option, will it give me a step up flavourwise from the major? if so what kind of price should i be looking at for a good condition one / is there a particular variant or model to look at or avoid? as i say its still probably a few months down the road

On 21/10/2019 at 08:00, ianskelly said:

thanks everyone for the suggestions the mythos sounds a good option, will it give me a step up flavourwise from the major? if so what kind of price should i be looking at for a good condition one / is there a particular variant or model to look at or avoid? as i say its still probably a few months down the road

Hi Ian,

Recently one was sold for £640. Buy it now can be near £ 800-900 which I find a bit steep. If you keep looking something can come along. Model-wise I would not get too much into it as the basics are the same.

They have a new one with reduced temperature grinding, in my opinion an overkill for home use. You can check their wbesite.

Good luck!

• Thanks 2

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

On 27/10/2019 at 18:00, ianskelly said:

cheers john

Hi Ian, at a well know site there is a good grinder for sale. I cannot submit the link (I think it is against the forum rules) but a search there for "Nuova Simonelli Mythos One Espresso Coffee Grinder" would result in the same thing.

Good luck if you decide it is worth it!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1