Coffee Forums banner

Sage Dual Boiler shower screen screw sheared

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Beeroclock 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anyone know the length of the screw that goes through the centre of the shower screen in to the group head on a Sage Dual boiler?

Mine has sheared off in the GH and I'm just out of warranty, so looking to drill it out of the group head and replace with my own rather than go through what could be a stressful process with Sage. Thanks.

Audio equipment Carbon Circle Font Button

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design Rim

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's 12mm below the head. Maybe a tiny touch less. Also a rather precise 5mm dia - 5.00mm unusual for a screw.

It looks like yours has a helicoil or something or the other fitted to me. Mine looks like this

Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Automotive wheel system Machine

There is no need to do these up very tight but going how my referb db was when it arrived some do - way too tight. It just needs nipping up. All of the pressure is taken up by the grouphead seal. Within that the pressure is the same everywhere.

I should say portafilter pressure against the group head seal.

John

-

Attachments

#5 ·
I had to buy some magnetic screwdriver bits to avoid dropping them. They don't hold the screws that well so may be a stainless not sure. The heads on the front lid fixing screws are a bit odd. A funny chinese PH fits them well but I managed with ordinary ones as couldn't find the funny ones. I've left the lid fixing off on my lid so I can open now and again to check for leaks. Also looks like it will be useful for descaling.

There is a need to be careful with descalers. One of their engineers told me they use Puly's :) and of course should use Sage's while under warrantee.

I posted a link to a video on the earlier DB that involves dismantling the group head. Might help. I'd want to get it out. The design has changed as the portafilter clamping part is now metal but the rest will be very similar. It's the at the end on the DB buzzing solenoid thread. No stickies are ever added on here so it'll get buried over time.

If you need to disconnect any O rings seals it's best to replace them. Most are BS 007 and the larger ones 009. I'd stick to silicone rubber.

John

-

#6 ·
I posted a link to a video on the earlier DB that involves dismantling the group head. Might help. I'd want to get it out. The design has changed as the portafilter clamping part is now metal but the rest will be very similar. It's the at the end on the DB buzzing solenoid thread. No stickies are ever added on here so it'll get buried over time.

If you need to disconnect any O rings seals it's best to replace them. Most are BS 007 and the larger ones 009. I'd stick to silicone rubber.

John

-
I'll take a look for the video thanks.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for the DB?

I don't know what the part is called but I'd like to replace the round plastic block that the shower screen screws in to. As seen in my photos.

#7 ·
Pretty sure that part is on Sage's own spare parts pages. I bought a spare as people reckon they crack. It looks like teflon and some stress when it's moulded but I suspect people just do the screw up too tight. I just checked mine but the machine is hot. About 3/4 of a turn more after slight resistance from the black bit meeting the seal. That is likely to feel a bit firmer when the machine is cold.

? I had a leak when I reused an O ring but fortunately had some spares. It may have been ok if I had carefully got it out with a cocktail stick etc. They need to be on the pipe end when fitted.

John

-

#8 ·
I tried removing mine this morning and it was really tight. Without wanting to have the same fate of sheering this off can I make sure I'm turning this the right way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.