Jump to content
Nicknak

Profitec E61 Flow Control Device

Recommended Posts

Having been tempted by the Lelit profile control device at £252 I was kindly pointed in the direction of Bella Barista who have started stocking the Profitec one at £179 plus £6 postage . It arrived within a couple of days . It arrives in two pieces the flow control unit and a pressure gauge for the group . There are no instructions and no washers for the gauge are included . However fitting is a doddle 👍. The unit comes in one piece , so unscrew the existing Mushroom and replace with the unit . I put some grease on the mushroom o ring on the bottom and a little on the threaded part .

I did speak to Bella Barista about the washers for the gauge which are mention on the website . It does not come with any and they say not to use the existing one under the E61 bolt . Their  advise to use ptfe tape and use only hand pressure to nip it up in position was followed. Waiting for it to warm up to check for any leaks and have a play .😎

It took more time to give the machine a quick polish for the photo 😬 than to fit it 👍

B5852392-BEBA-4CBC-8375-F05C6B7F3E4C.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is looking very shiny but . . . What do you reckon? Pleased you’ve fitted it?

  • Haha 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MildredM said:

It is looking very shiny but . . . What do you reckon? Pleased you’ve fitted it?

Yes pleased I fitted it .. Time will tell I suppose if it gets used much . The Profitec knocks out good shots constantly ( am I now going to mess that up 😂) But I have read a little on slow ramp ups , pre infusion etc and wanted to play .. The PTFe on the gauge has worked with no washers and no leaks from anywhere else ..👍  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MildredM said:

It is looking very shiny but . . . What do you reckon? Pleased you’ve fitted it?

I do look after my stuff , see 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things just got exciting, as far as I can tell from my rocking chair... there's nothing to it - but to do it!
now get on with paddling about and forking tell us more!! Will ya?!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hasi said:

Things just got exciting, as far as I can tell from my rocking chair... there's nothing to it - but to do it!
now get on with paddling about and forking tell us more!! Will ya?!

Howdy 😎, how is that banjo practice going ... 

Well the first cup was fully open , just to get a look at how the things looked normal like .. I then ran water through the spent puck fiddling with knob , watching how it affected the pressure gauge .. Might go and try a 6 bar shot with a little perfusion 😬

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice conversion! 

A good one to try out is the straight 6 bar shot. It's kinda become my go to profile with most dark/medium espresso blends.

  • Like 2

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hasi said:

Things just got exciting, as far as I can tell from my rocking chair... there's nothing to it - but to do it!
now get on with paddling about and forking tell us more!! Will ya?!

Mmm reckon it's compatible with a Rocket Giotto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lake_m said:

Nice conversion! 

A good one to try out is the straight 6 bar shot. It's kinda become my go to profile with most dark/medium espresso blends.

I just sort of tried that , didn’t go too well .. A little more practice required 😂.. Very small adjustments needed as opposed to my let’s have a guess there ..  The spent puck is so much easier to work with 😂😂😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would quite like a video - I will get some popcorn in ready 😊

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bainbridge said:

Mmm reckon it's compatible with a Rocket Giotto?

It should do if Rocket use a standard E61 ..  Both this and  the Lelit one fit other machines . Espressounderground are listing Machines they or customers have found don’t fit .. A check on the internet might reveal more .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MildredM said:

I would quite like a video - I will get some popcorn in ready 😊

It will be sometime before Videos are released .. It will need intense concentration on my part to overcome my inadequate  efforts .. 🤯😂 . ... Plus I can’t steam milk at the same time .. Might have to try the glass method 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sympathise...us men can only do one thing at a time and even that can be problematic

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well on the second attempt ,the pre infusion didn’t go too well so I sort of ignored that but managed 6 bar throughout . 🥳🕺.. The amount the knob was turned was minimal .. So I don’t know what the other full turn left might be used for 🥴 .. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you had any more thoughts on this @Nicknak

I'm looking to add one to the minima but its a toss up between this and the lelit one. The handle on the lelit one looks a lot nicer but its £20 more and a little more involved to install. 

Are you still using the profiling shots and what has become your go to profile?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Have you had any more thoughts on this @Nicknak

I'm looking to add one to the minima but its a toss up between this and the lelit one. The handle on the lelit one looks a lot nicer but its £20 more and a little more involved to install. 

Are you still using the profiling shots and what has become your go to profile?

 

 Still playing with it really , but it  adds a bit of fun to the whole process ..  I have found that the valve now has a better range of movement and needs more of a turn to go from off to full on . I wonder if it had a minor blockage after I fitted it .

I used it with a decaf , which had a very slight back ground taste which I can only describe as stale . When I used the flow with a 10 seconds at 2bar on the gauge then a really slow build up . The stale taste which was just there ,just noticeable went .

I have currently got it set in one place ... It takes about 10 /15 seconds to get to 2 bar then rises very slowly and generally sits at 6bar ..This can be affected by the grind and distribution ..

The knob on this can be turned fully all the way around to both closed and fully open ,which I like ..

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Have you had any more thoughts on this @Nicknak

I'm looking to add one to the minima but its a toss up between this and the lelit one. The handle on the lelit one looks a lot nicer but its £20 more and a little more involved to install. 

Are you still using the profiling shots and what has become your go to profile?

 

Have they reduced the Lelit one , The full kit when I got mine was a lot more 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Have they reduced the Lelit one , The full kit when I got mine was a lot more 

Not sure as every site that sells its seems to use different pictures and different descriptions that don't match half the time!

Seems to include the paddle, pressure gauge and the gubbins to actually control the flow based on BBs description. 

Would you say overall that its improved the quality of the coffee you get from your machine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably saw the write up and vids, but in case you didn't..

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/08/30/acs-minima-with-lelit-flow-profiling-kit/

with the paddle all the way to the right you can have more flow than from a standard gicleur, you need to be careful not to move it too far to the right when profiling but also mindful of the 9 bar pressure or whatever with insufficient flow problem that all these valve systems can give.


Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, mctrials23 said:

Not sure as every site that sells its seems to use different pictures and different descriptions that don't match half the time!

Seems to include the paddle, pressure gauge and the gubbins to actually control the flow based on BBs description. 

Would you say overall that its improved the quality of the coffee you get from your machine?

The first post here I mentioned the places and the prices I worked on .. I haven’t looked since ..

BB were quick and easy to deal with ..

It certainly worked for the decaf .. still trying to make my mind up for my normal coffee .. Plus a new grinder in the mix ..  I think I am getting sweeter , but I was loving what I made before . My wife doesn’t drink the stuff so have no one else to test it on .. Visitors were and are happy . I am considering changing back and forward by taking out the flow valve all on the same day .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

You probably saw the write up and vids, but in case you didn't..

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/08/30/acs-minima-with-lelit-flow-profiling-kit/

with the paddle all the way to the right you can have more flow than from a standard gicleur, you need to be careful not to move it too far to the right when profiling but also mindful of the 9 bar pressure or whatever with insufficient flow problem that all these valve systems can give.

Yes thank you , it was that which prompted me to look into it .. As I have a Profitec 700 I decided to go with their one .

Edited by Nicknak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicknak said:

Yes thank you , it was that which prompted me to look into it .. As I have a Profitec 700 I decided to go with their one .

Ah, the comment was meant for @mctrials23 who wanted it for a Minima. I wasn't sure he was aware I had already installed it on a Minima.

  • Haha 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Ah, the comment was meant for @mctrials23 who wanted it for a Minima. I wasn't sure he was aware I had already installed it on a Minima.

🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DavecUK said:

You probably saw the write up and vids, but in case you didn't..

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/08/30/acs-minima-with-lelit-flow-profiling-kit/

with the paddle all the way to the right you can have more flow than from a standard gicleur, you need to be careful not to move it too far to the right when profiling but also mindful of the 9 bar pressure or whatever with insufficient flow problem that all these valve systems can give.

Sorry to ask - I don't want to interrupt this thread with another topic - but what do you mean with the "insufficient flow problem"?

I am just about to by a Lelit Bianca and as I am complete Espresso Newbie I thought at the beginning I could just put the paddle to the far right (and adjust the max pressure to 9bar) and use the machine like any other E61 machine or maybe adjust the Paddle to a position with will result in 9bar (and leave the max pressure of the machine at 10 or 11).

Will this cause any problems? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Johey said:

Sorry to ask - I don't want to interrupt this thread with another topic - but what do you mean with the "insufficient flow problem"?

I am just about to by a Lelit Bianca and as I am complete Espresso Newbie I thought at the beginning I could just put the paddle to the far right (and adjust the max pressure to 9bar) and use the machine like any other E61 machine or maybe adjust the Paddle to a position with will result in 9bar (and leave the max pressure of the machine at 10 or 11).

Will this cause any problems? 
 

Johey welcome .. on the Profitec one which I have I just make a metal note . I’m using lower flow currently so not a problem for me I guess . There is a fair few that have the Bianca so I would make a new thread and ask away .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About:

    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:

    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

    Terms of Use

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Buy Advertising Space

    Donate

    Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)

×
×
  • Create New...