Tony fonda

SDB & Niche Espresso Recipe

1 minute ago, ajohn said:

LOL I hope they help. Everybody struggles for a while when they buy an espresso machine.

John

-

Very exciting journey though.... Timr to start fishing for coffee roasters discount codes now.

Not so sure about that. It pays to stick with one bean as much as you can as you will learn more quickly providing you try variations. ;) Have to like the taste of it though.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

11 minutes ago, ajohn said:

LOL I hope they help. Everybody struggles for a while when they buy an espresso machine.

John

-

One quick q: any point in buying the naked bottomless PF at this stage? 

2 minutes ago, Tony fonda said:

One quick q: any point in buying the naked bottomless PF at this stage? 

No.

• Like 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

8 minutes ago, Tony fonda said:

OK. What about palm tampers?

You can still make shots unlevel with them if you are cack handed, are you just looking got stuff to buy or trying to solve a specific issue with these things ?

There are some cheap palm tampers on amazon and ebay ...

Get a 58.4 and above 

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 minute ago, Mrboots2u said:

You can still make shots unlevel with them if you are cack handed, are you just looking got stuff to buy or trying to solve a specific issue with these things ?

There are some cheap palm tampers on amazon and ebay ...

Get a 58.4 and above 

There is so much "advice" on youtube - running them by you to see what sticks...

19 minutes ago, Tony fonda said:

There is so much "advice" on youtube - running them by you to see what sticks...

Then don't look on youtube , invariable people are using products given to them or they are selling. 

There are tampers out there that have levelling mechs on them , but really with a little practice is should be too hard to get a level tamp with any well fitting tamper 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

@Tony fonda

Your old, undrinkable beans are perfect to use when practicing puck preparation. Don’t bin them! Grind them up at various espresso range settings, fill the basket to various depths, and go to town with “WDT” (stirring grinds with 3 thin wires, dissecting probe, or whatever you have), and practice getting a level surface using the stir tool, then practice level tamping, & try various tamping/compacting pressures. (Just don’t brew these practice beans!) Multiple rounds of practice like this with bad coffee beans will help you prepare a good puck, for when you are using the very good (very drinkable) beans.☺️

Edited by Deidre
  • Like 2

You could buy loads of gear then sell it cheap on here when you have made your mind up not to keep it 😁 

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

The problem with palm tampers is that they don't set a specific pressure. The pressure is dependent on how deep they are set. I suppose they could be used at some pressure but don't think I will be trying it. I've seen a world champion barista using them to pre tamp much the same way as various levelling tools are used.

I use one of these to pretamp adjusted to leave 1 to 1.5mm more compression for the tamper. It makes it easier to keep the actual tamp square

https://www.amazon.co.uk/espresso-distributor-extraction-portafilter-machines/dp/B079BYQSMT/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=coffee%2Bdistributor&qid=1571425245&sr=8-13&th=1

As it's 58mm it has to offset onto the edge of the basket to work over the entire diameter of the puck. 58.5mm ones were available from China on ebay but the design is changed and with the new style that doesn't have the ring on the one above grinds will get in places were they wont be so easy to remove. :) Bought a small one for the BE and sent it back.

Plus a calibrated tamper that's 58.5mm dia. Last but one available and more on their way but amazon aren't listing them at the moment. I'd used a 58mm one for ages but had to polish the grounds with the edge against the rim of the basket to iron down the whole thing. The only reason I went 58.5mm was because it was cheap.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

On 18/10/2019 at 17:05, MildredM said:

You could buy loads of gear then sell it cheap on here when you have made your mind up not to keep it 😁 

Sounds good. What do you need?

• Haha 1

She needs nothing our M.

• Haha 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

She needs nothing our M.
Apart from new burrs for her Hobart!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

12 hours ago, Jony said:

She needs nothing our M.

I have just posted in the othrr forum a question on dose control if anyone here cares to advise:

Doesn’t everyone need a Joey Skate handle or 3 for their tamper :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband