AlanB1976

Soya, oat, almond, rice.... Sweetened, unsweetened... Aaarrrgggg

Hi all

I want to start trying out milk alternatives and never realised there were so many variates. I've read a couple posts and understand every person has their tastes, but was hoping to get some advice and recommended starting points. I mainly drink americanos and cappuccino/latte. I could drink the americano black which brings me to the cap/latte.... Any firm favourites on type of alternative milk? 

I like nutty flavoured things but have read that almond milk isn't that great for frothing. Is that generally or are some brands ok (hopefully available from Tesco - Alpro / Almond Breeze /Tesco own) ? I also assume non-sweetened as I don't usually have sugar in my cap/latte. 

I also read good things about oat milk, but again,  not sure on brand/type. 

I plan to visit Tesco in the next day or two and make my wife think I'm mad when I come home with 10 cartons of non-milk. 

Thanks. Alan

If you got access to Oatly, I recommend the Oatly Barista. It foams quite well and we actually prefer it over milk now after having used it for some time. I think it adds a very nice, but not overwhelming flavor.

My vote is on oatly barista edition.  

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Hmmmm..... Doesn't look available anywhere close to me. Are other makes similar, at least enough to get a feel for whether I'd like or dislike this (e.g. Tesco Alpro) or should I skip that and order online?

rude health oat barista is another option. its quite expensive one but have read people were happy with that too.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

39 minutes ago, AlanB1976 said:

I see Tesco stocks Oatly Foamable. Maybe good enough for a try 

It's the same thing (barista is on the carton branding). Also try minor figures. 

ECM Heidelberg Mechanika IV Profi // Niche Zero

I prefer Rude Health Barista to Oatly although list price is £2.50 per litre. Look out for deals. Sainsbos recently had RH Barista on offer at £1.80. Came away with 12 litres.

Minor Figures Oat milk is very good - it's the one alternative to dairy that I offer with my pop-ups. You can get it online, if you decide you like it from tchibo or minor figures direct. 

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

agree on the oatly barista - works very well and taste is very good, not particularily different from dairy whole milk

Minor Figures oat. Then Bonsoy. All else is inferior imo.

• Like 1

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Just noticed Minor Figures is £1.79 in Holland and Barrett at the moment. Not tried Bonsoy but seen it on the shelves of a few specialty places, so must be doing something right. 

ECM Heidelberg Mechanika IV Profi // Niche Zero

2 hours ago, Scotford said:

Bonsoy. 

any specific technique for bonsoy or is it just like any alternative? I haven't ever used it, but doing a few things where it might be handy to have more than one alternative milk, so was thinking of looking into it more 

When I was with my ex, she couldn't drink dairy or soy due to having Hashimotos Hyperthyroidism. After trying all we could get hold of (except the Alpro ones as they are soya) we found the Oatly Barista/Foamable ones very good, and also the Almond one with the mild taste (there are two versions). Anything else wasn't very nice, especially the Hemp milk which was disgusting. 

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I use Oatly whole milk at home for everything milk related.   I hadn’t seen Oatly Barista, but looking closely at them there is very little difference between Oatly Whole and Oatly Barista.

I don’t use milk in coffee, having spent years of not consuming any milk at all I don’t like the taste in coffee, but it’s great on cereal.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

I've now tried soya and oat. They both taste weird (in different ways). I'm sure it's just because I'm only used to milk and they will grow on me, but at the moment just seem wrong. 

Actually want to try a nut based one as I enjoy nut tastes in other things. Although I've read that it's bad to froth for a cap/latte

• Like 1

I have had oatley and almond milk, both you can actually make your self and way more almonds in your home made version

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Tried the Alpro Soya Barista variety; not that keen on the extra taste it brings to a flat white. Oddly enough Mrs Marocchino wasn’t that keen on the taste either, but did go on to use the remainder of the carton in her 100% cacao drink, she reckoned the soya taste was thankfully masked by the strong chocolate flavour. The flat white containing the soya milk struck me as not having the silkyness in the mouth as regular milk and somehow seemed thinner or watery. Who knows, maybe the taste grows on you if you use it regularly, thankfully it’s not a product I need to use.

Also tried almond and hazelnut now. My favourite is hazelnut but after 2 flat white's gets a bit much. I still miss milk so may go back. Maybe swopping between them. I also actually enjoyed the oat milk in an americano so may continue with that. 

On 17/10/2019 at 06:56, AlanB1976 said:

I've now tried soya and oat. They both taste weird (in different ways).

Which oat? I remember some people (think it was @jeebsyand somebody else) finding that Oatly had a strange taste with some coffees and they preferred Minor Figures Oat. 

I went with a previous thread on this (with jeebsy and others mentioning minor figure over oatly BE) and tried minor figures for a while after using Oatly BE for a while. And I have to say I can't even slightly empathise with the position that minor figures tastes better. It tastes so much like every other oat milk but simply steams better. It is sweet and completely overpowers the flavour of the espresso; which Oatly BE does not do. I agree that Minor Figures steams more like regular milk, and is easier to pour art with, as well as the fact that Oatly BE can be quite temperamental (being very easy to heat it too much and for it to then make a bit of a 'skin' when poured into an espresso), but when it works it is far far beyond in flavour compared to Minor Figures.

• Like 1

I only used Oatly. Just found like it tasted too much like I put a spoon of porridge in my coffee. Granted it is oats so can't really get away from that but just made my mind have a taste breakdown. 

I'll try Minor Figures anyway, just to test. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlanB1976 said:

I only used Oatly. Just found like it tasted too much like I put a spoon of porridge in my coffee. Granted it is oats so can't really get away from that but just made my mind have a taste breakdown. 

I'll try Minor Figures anyway, just to test. 

hehe, you will likely feel the same just thought it worth checking. I quite like either but I think it does take some getting used to. Depending on how strong you like the coffee, you could always try having a bit less oat milk in a drink as well?  

What happens when Oatly barista meets acidic Kenyan :)
It was surprisingly good as a flat white with the last LSOL offering however. Only decided to buy a carton based on the chat here. c6a90083829c6f8fbc7efa2881107445.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience