Andmoreagain

Born again

Hi, Just dropping in as I am just stepping back into the coffee world.  I previously had an unmodified Gaggia Classic about 15 years ago. I treated it badly and my coffee education was limited and this foray died a death about 10 years ago.  Limescale, rust, and neglect saw off most components of the Gaggia. This bad man stored his machine in such a way that 50% of bolts needed drilling out. 

A recent trip to Naples restored my desire to make Espresso and I've been reading up and confusing myself. Before I used to grind x tablespoons of beans and output y volume of espresso (by eye). It was never great drunk as espresso but got by in the long black or as a  cappuccino.

Now I am starting again, I am understanding I should be dosing with x grammes of beans, to produce y grammes of espresson in z seconds of time. I have a new machine / grinder  and have been practising using 18g coffee beans, producing 36g espresso in 30 seconds (it took a while 'dialling' this in).  

I'm not that enamoured by the espresso so far. I have very little sense of smell, and poor taste buds but coffee is one of the few things I enjoy.  The shots so far are a little sour to my knackered pallet.

What I'd be interested in is attempting to replicate the typical espresso's I was drinking in Naples from grand coffee houses such as Gambrinus, to the back street Kimbo seller.

If anyone can give me some starters, then I'm interested in bean types / brands to try,  dose rate, brew ratio etc for the typical italian espresso . 

My set up is Niche Grinder, Lelit Mara,  Naked Portofilter to get my distribution / tamping nailed  and have currently been using Bella Barista Roastery Furnace & Flue (which I liked), and currently Milk Buster which is the one I'm finding a bit sour

So thats pretty much where I am starting this second dip in the water.

Good weekend all.

Andrew

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the bars in Naples use lever machines which might have a bearing on the result. They probably pull a little on feel rather than sticking rigidly to ratio. Might be worth trying your shots anywhere from 1:1 to 1:3 to see how that changes things? Go by taste.

Generally shots are 7g/14g single/double.

I'm not sure where you would get fresh Italian roast beans. I think the typical Italian beans you get here have a 3 year shelf life. I enjoy Italian espresso when on holiday but it is not really my preference. Hopefully someone else can help you more.

BTW there is a discussion about Neapolitan coffee in the "coffee" subsection of the Home Barista forum  which you might find interesting. I think that the OP also posts on here also.

1:2 in 30 seconds is a good starting point but not the magic recipe. 

If you're finding it sour try going for a longer ratio or finer grind

LR, ZM

1 hour ago, Step21 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the bars in Naples use lever machines which might have a bearing on the result. They probably pull a little on feel rather than sticking rigidly to ratio. Might be worth trying your shots anywhere from 1:1 to 1:3 to see how that changes things? Go by taste.

Generally shots are 7g/14g single/double.

I'm not sure where you would get fresh Italian roast beans. I think the typical Italian beans you get here have a 3 year shelf life. I enjoy Italian espresso when on holiday but it is not really my preference. Hopefully someone else can help you more.

BTW there is a discussion about Neapolitan coffee in the "coffee" subsection of the Home Barista forum  which you might find interesting. I think that the OP also posts on here also.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I just checked some youtube videos and saw one of the Cafes with the lever machines in action.  I think I was seduced as much by the surroundings and the 1Euro cost as much as the quality! 

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

1:2 in 30 seconds is a good starting point but not the magic recipe. 

If you're finding it sour try going for a longer ratio or finer grind

Thanks Fez. I've just about got a grip on the things I control and  will start to play a bit as you say and focus on taste. 

An improvement going 1:2.5  however I did get hung up with it being produced in 30s so slightly reduced the grind. I discounted a finer grind as I  thought it would lead to a long extraction time. I seem to have fallen into a trap of extraction time dominating my thinking.

Rather than play with too many variables at this point, I really think I need to restart by going through the newbie notes and videos on here and BH and make sure I nail the basics this time around before I can run.  

Edited by Andmoreagain

A lot of the Italian coffee shops use Illy, Kimbo etc and they aren’t particularly fresh. I tried Kimbo Superiore (1kg from Stafco) and it was exactly as I remembered the espressos to be. Use 14 to 15g it doesn’t seem to like any more than this. Extract just under 1:2 so 28g for a 15g dose using a cheap 14g basket. I had a lot of fun and guests lapped it up!!

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________