Hairy_Hogg

LSOL October – Pharmacie [Brighton]

I had another nice shot this morning, went a little faster and put the ratio down after 1:2.5 wasn't tasting good to me. 18->41 through the la Pav with fairly light pressure (5 bar max, I'd say) made for a lovely shot with cacao and a slight apple(?) acidity.

Feeling South America but am somewhere in between Colombia and Peru. I'll go Colombia washed in the end, no idea on varietal (I'm nowhere near good enough for that :p)

• Like 1

Hey @Hairy_Hogg just tried to PM you re the December roaster (I'm very much in!) but it's saying you can't receive messages... Maybe full inbox? Thought I'd give you the heads up. 😊

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

5 minutes ago, Jon_Foster said:

Hey @Hairy_Hogg just tried to PM you re the December roaster (I'm very much in!) but it's saying you can't receive messages... Maybe full inbox? Thought I'd give you the heads up. 😊

Only used 19% of my storage (according to the site) so not sure what is going on there.

Mr LSOL - November offering here -> Clicky <-

23 minutes ago, Hairy_Hogg said:

Only used 19% of my storage (according to the site) so not sure what is going on there.

Could be a problem at my end then...

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

If I had to guess the origin I would probably go with Guatemala but don't feel to strong about this one. Seems like your average central/South America coffee so would be interesting to find out where it actually comes from and like last month, getting it totally wrong 

• Like 1

I’ve only just started these as espresso. 1st attempt was over 50 secs. So I’m guessing going coarser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I’m going with a Brazilian washed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Used mine up already ☹️

2 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

I’ve only just started these as espresso. 1st attempt was over 50 secs. So I’m guessing going coarser.

Stopped tweaking and got to regularly using 16g in 39g out 34 seconds. Very mellow.

• Like 1

I’ve stopped tweaking now, really enjoying it, possibly not what I’d normally go for, and that’s possibly why I like it 😄

• Like 1

I should probably add for the ratio sniffers out there, that I’m 21 in, 40 ish out, espresso all the way.

I’ve stopped tweaking now, really enjoying it, possibly not what I’d normally go for, and that’s possibly why I like it
That's one of the beauties of LSOL (or any sub for that matter). I've had a few coffees now I wouldn't have thought I'd like looking at the tasting notes which turned out to be delicious.
  • Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler

8 minutes ago, Junglebert said:

I should probably add for the ratio sniffers out there, that I’m 21 in, 40 ish out, espresso all the way.

Should definitely change your title from "Senior Member" to "Ratio Sniffer"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Will look to do the reveal early next week and get the next roaster list up for November as December is a shorter (for postage) month.

I'm just getting in to mine - had a few v60's and espresso. Lovely and smooth as v60, think I'm getting hazelnut/almond flavours, similar as espresso but there's a nice  juicy twang aftertaste.

No idea on where it's from though.

• Like 1

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Just opened these.  As espresso - cocoa and raspberries

As long black, cocoa and green apple

Nice beans - I'll be enjoying these.

• Like 1

a grinder a lever and some beans

Had a sip of Mrs WDs flat white and, for me, it doesn't work with milk.  

Loving it black though - definitely recommend the milk lovers to try it black

a grinder a lever and some beans

I've found it nice as a cortado but it still struggles to cut through even then; I'd say it's much nicer as a straight espresso, too.

• Like 1

I'm finding these decent without being outstanding but I've been spoiled lately.  I'm finding them fine as flat whites.  18 to 41 in 26s.  I've not refracted any.  I'm guessing washed.  I was thinking of guessing Guatamala but that's gone so maybe Nicaragua.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

I’m still playing around with these 18g=> 43g in 29 secs.
I’m getting red fruits sweetness with tartness acidity and choc. Almost like cranberries (although I have had said some in porridge this morning so it could be down to that)..

I quite like these beans for espresso

I too think it’s Central American, is guess Guatemala but I going with Panama as a wild card.

Ok time for the reveal.......

These beans were from Mexico (just....)

OWNER: Santa Cruz, Xoxocotlán Smallholders
PROCESS: Washed
TYPE: Caturra, bourbon, maragogype, typica
ALTITUDE: 800-1800 MASL

Mico de Noche coffee grows in the highlands of Tapachula in Chiapas, known as ‘The Pearl of Soconusco.’The Soconusco region borders Guatemala,in fact the region was disputed by Mexico & Guatemala until the borders were defined in the 1890s.

Tapachula municipality sits at the feet of two volcanos, Tacana & Pico de Loro, so its volcanic soils & diversity of microclimates make it ideal to produce amazing coffee. Additionally, in this region, you can find all types of species of flora and fauna, especially, the Saraguato Monkey, best known as 'Mico de Noche' because, at nights, coffee growing families hear their strong howl.

As mentioned before, Pharmacie do not Omni roast so they took this challenge on, a challenge that was compacted by me asking them to step up a month earlier than planned.

I have to thank Carola and Tash for answering the call, joining the forum AND spotting we have minimal female LSOL's and asking to be involved in the next months offering as guests.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well I have to say that was my first Mexican coffee, what a great coffee it was too, everyone who tried it absolutely loved it. Thank again to everyone involved in getting these beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice too. I have 100g left to enjoy. It's been a treat.

Thanks to all concerned

Delicious coffee that's gone down a treat here. I was thinking Brazil so wrong again.

Liking the variety of recent offerings. Regarding the omni roast, I really enjoyed it when round hill did a split filter and espresso roast for lsol. Best of both worlds. Would always be up for that unless it's a monumental ball ache for those involved.

Will order some pharmacie next time I'm running short to see what they can do in their native filter roast habitat.