Tony fonda

2 coffees per week: Does bean-to-cup make financial sense?

I drink 1 double espresso per day and have it at work 5 days a week.

I have been drinking very average coffee from lavazza pods on the weekends for years and am looking for something better.

I am tempted by a barista express or a DTP+grinder combi as advised by many on this forum, but fear that my weekly coffee consumption does not justify the expense. I understand that 1) beans don't last for ever and that the smallet pack is 250gms 2) sage grinders' finest setting is not enough to get the best oit of older beans.

Any advice on what to do here? Shall I stick to pods?

Yeah get a decent setup at home and start using fresh beans - you won’t look back.

And I bet within a short period of time you’ll be making that work drink at home first and putting it in a flask - as I do..... it doesn’t take long to go right off average coffee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I've never had any problem grinding beans even from the supermarkets and other sources with either the Barista Express or the Smart Grinder Pro. There was a version some time ago of the SGP that wouldn't and sometimes needed shims but that was some time ago. The burrs on the more recent ones are adjustable but in real terms if they have been put together correctly they shouldn't need adjusting. I have bought worse in a similar price range and have doubts about better in the same. There may be but no way of knowing. Reviews generally from retailers aren't worth that much Any are good at some point and comparisons difficult. I remember one comparing it with a Rocky where they said the grinds from that feel finer. As I know both of the Sage grinders I have used can grind more than fine enough to choke the machine I wouldn't be likely to take much notice. I understand the Rocky may use flat burrs - that might produce a different taste.

I reckon fresh roasted beans are usually good for at least a month if looked after. That mainly involves minimising exposure to air. A grinder may need adjusting as they age.

Price wise the retailers have got people with the grinders. There is a need for one and the cheaper stuff intended for french press etc isn't really of any use for an espresso machine of any type.

:) The rather odd addition to my signature is just a reaction to some one else's that states that Sage Is Not Upgrade. Mine is more accurate. What I'd say about them is that they may have their foibles but they aren't the only ones and most reckon all of them can make good coffee. For the level they are aimed at all of them tend to be rather well priced.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Very similar position to you but consumption is more as work from home a fair bit.

Sounds like you are ready to move on from pods.

Dont think i can go back after reading so many of the threads on here about different beans and flavours and possibilities.

Some of the italian beans last pretty well.

Black friday coming up too.

Best if luck.

Thank you all. This is my first post on this forum and I am new to all this.

My concern related more to the freshness of beans: if I only grind 20-30gms per week, a 250gms pack will have to last me up to 3 months.

I am reading online that beans quality deteriorates sharply after 3-4 weeks (and they can not be frozen really). Which is why I am now trying to compare lavazza pods to 2-3 month old beans.

Any thoughts?

Yes you’ll have to deal with that - don’t worry you’ll get a feel for how the grind will need changing and The taste will change over time.

Some on here freeze beans - haven’t bothered myself.

3 month old expertly roasted, high quality beans are still a world away from commodity crap

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

29 minutes ago, Tony fonda said:

Thank you all. This is my first post on this forum and I am new to all this.

My concern related more to the freshness of beans: if I only grind 20-30gms per week, a 250gms pack will have to last me up to 3 months.

I am reading online that beans quality deteriorates sharply after 3-4 weeks (and they can not be frozen really). Which is why I am now trying to compare lavazza pods to 2-3 month old beans.

Any thoughts?

You could weigh and vac pack in say 60g packs, and just get one out each weekend.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Perfect  - thanks for that.

In terms of equipment: I am waiting for black Friday hoping to pick-up a barista express for sub £350 (AO was selling them for less than that a couple of month ago). Or possibly a DTP + sage grinder pro combi for about the same price. I have never used them (let along seen them in real life) though.

Any advice on a setup that could last me many years to come (Gaggia perhaps)? espresso crema and milk micro-foam quality are of importance. Something I would not feel the need to upgrade immediately and could last me c.5ys  before I outgrow it?

Thanks again.

Tony

The Melitta barista is superb. It only makes half a dozen a week but I’m glad I got it. 

Perfect  - thanks for that.
In terms of equipment: I am waiting for black Friday hoping to pick-up a barista express for sub £350 (AO was selling them for less than that a couple of month ago). Or possibly a DTP + sage grinder pro combi for about the same price. I have never used them (let along seen them in real life) though.
Any advice on a setup that could last me many years to come (Gaggia perhaps)? espresso crema and milk micro-foam quality are of importance. Something I would not feel the need to upgrade immediately and could last me c.5ys  before I outgrow it?
Thanks again.
Tony

I think you’re on the right lines with these if you want new for £350ish. Try and avoid bean to cup you’ll regret it in my opinion, with the above you may want to upgrade in the future but you’ll certainly not regret it and if your patient and wait for a deal you wouldn’t lose much anyway if you choose to sell it on.