AlanB1976

Descaling with pure H2O?

Hi all

I'm due to descale my machine soon. I was wondering if it would be better to descale with pure water rather than normal tap water, which is quite hard here. I've read that you shouldn't use pure water for the lack of minerals for taste but also that it can damage the machine long term. But considering the solution you put in is designed to remove the minerals, thought it may be more effective this way. Your thoughts? 

I would take water from the dehumidifier I have running. 

Thanks. Alan

I don’t see how it would work.

Surely you need some form of Acid to munch the scale away.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

Posted (edited)

I think the idea is to add the acid to the pure water. It won't make a difference and I'd think it'll be a waste of purified water.

@AlanB1976WAIT. A dehumidifier? No. That's gross. Unless it's a dehumidifier that turns the water it collects into drinking water then no. NO NO NO. No. Do not put that in your machine. Even if the there isn't mould or bacteria in it from the pipes or collection bucket it could still have come into contact with oil and metal residues from the condensing pipes. How long will it take to fill up --- as in how long will it be sitting there in a warm dehumidifier until you've got enough to descale your machine?

By adding citric acid to your tap water you'll have a descaling solution.....so it won't scale obviously....you'll have to add slightly more acid than you would with purified water to get the exact effect but you're way overthinking it if you start calculating things like that. What's the going advice about 50g per litre citric acid? 

Edited by Rob1

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Haha.... Its not one of those little dehumidifiers. Its quite a large one and fairly new (aka clean). I could pull the water I needed easily in a day and it's crystal clear, but I do take your point there may be some residues from the system so won't try. I just thought it would be a good use of the system rather than just watering the plants. 

Thanks for the replies 

Haha.... Its not one of those little dehumidifiers. Its quite a large one and fairly new (aka clean). I could pull the water I needed easily in a day and it's crystal clear, but I do take your point there may be some residues from the system so won't try. I just thought it would be a good use of the system rather than just watering the plants. 
Thanks for the replies 
The easy way to find out if it's safe to drink is to send a sample off for analysis. There are quite a few companies about that do it as there are so many homes with springs or wells/boreholes they want to use.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

22 hours ago, AlanB1976 said:

Thanks for the replies 

The only problem is how the dehumidifiers actually work and although that water may be crystal clear, does not mean it's safe. Once the unit has been in operation only a few days there can be issues. if you are descaling with a descaling solution, citric acid whatever, then tap water is fine.

RO rather than pure water won't damage your machine, especially if you add a touch of bicarb, what it will do is almost guarantee you have zero machine problems for years and years (and you won't need to descale).

Needing to descaling is a sign that you need to fix water quality.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Doesn't legionella live in humidifier water?

I suppose anything would be able to live in it since there are no harmful chemicals. 

Just to note, I am NOT going to use it but it's not that I was being an idiot (well, not a complete idiot) as its not a chemical system. It functions by cooling down metal plates for water to condense on and drip down. If the plates and collection system are clean and its done quickly (not sitting there for more than a couple hours) , there can be no harmful ingredients....as much as my logic leads me to believe. 

You are dealing with condensed water vapour which could be contaminated by bacteria from the air ( which you breath all the time) or by bacteria or mould from the condenser plates. Both are likely to be killed by the descaling acid or heat so low risk of anything. Can’t see using distilled water making a noticeable contribution to the descaling process. 

As Nikko says it will be pulled through filters covered in bacteria and particulates from the air into a warm humid environment which will be a breeding ground for bacteria. Thing is the heat from the boiler will kill the bacteria so I didn't mention it as a problem. I just said it was gross, especially considering the cold water lines in the machine, but I suppose you might disagree. I didn't consider the citric acid as a factor in the sense it will sterilise the boiler because you're presumably going to be flushing the boilers afterwards with the same water before filling with (presumably) your bottled water?

The metal plates are probably never meant to be in contact with highly purified drinking water (a powerful solvent) and could contain traces of lead or other metals you don't want to be consuming. 

Bottom line is you have nothing to gain by using it.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe