Sign in to follow this  
idekov

It took me two months to get there...

Sage Bambino Plus
Single cup single wall basket
Eureka Mignon
10g Orphea Maromas coffee

1:4.5 ratio, that’s a lot of water through 10g - how was the shot to taste?

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I used a Lavazza commercial bean that was best at 14 in 60 out which funnily enough was what it stated on the packet with the usual 25 to 30sec time. Arabica blend too and not bitter etc.

Flow looks bizarre to me. It should reach a steady stream and that should just stop when the shot ends. I'd suspect too much coffee in the filter basket resulting in a coarser grind than it should be. Use of the razor tool should fix that. Sage state a range of weights for each basket and believe it or not different beans may produce nearly the range they suggest.

But pressurised basket or standard baskets as I think some may be fitting dtp/barista express standard baskets but not sure? And what grinder?

Sounds like the machine is volumetric like the Barista Express.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

9 hours ago, lake_m said:

1:4.5 ratio, that’s a lot of water through 10g - how was the shot to taste?

I know it's strange and was expecting comments in this direction or even no comments ;) ...

The reason is the target output - I had to reach between 40-50ml - that's what my wife want to see in the cup, apart from coffee being balanced.

So first I dial in the coffee grind with the double cup single wall basket with 17g and 60ml output (1:3.5) until the taste is balanced with nice crema.

Then with the same grind size and the single cup basket with above ratio I'm able to get to the 40-50ml output.

The taste is still good and balanced - no bitterness nor acidity.

8 hours ago, ajohn said:

I used a Lavazza commercial bean that was best at 14 in 60 out which funnily enough was what it stated on the packet with the usual 25 to 30sec time. Arabica blend too and not bitter etc.

Flow looks bizarre to me. It should reach a steady stream and that should just stop when the shot ends. I'd suspect too much coffee in the filter basket resulting in a coarser grind than it should be. Use of the razor tool should fix that. Sage state a range of weights for each basket and believe it or not different beans may produce nearly the range they suggest.

But pressurised basket or standard baskets as I think some may be fitting dtp/barista express standard baskets but not sure? And what grinder?

Sounds like the machine is volumetric like the Barista Express.

John

-

In the shot description you have the answers...

Yes its too much coffee in the single basket - 10g, instead of 8.5 (that's when you use the Razor tool).

The grinder is Eureka Mignon MCI, and the baskets and PF are from Barista Express and not the original pressurized

More shots...

Sage Bambino Plus

Single cup single wall basket

Eureka Mignon MCI

10g Brazil Yellow Bourbon Fazenda Rainha coffee

Progress - that first couple of months is always hard fought territory.

I admire folk who perfect their single basket distribution technique first too, that is always more challenging than using a double basket.

Some thoughts on where next...

If your wife requires a specific volume of drink, and you want to use a single basket, you might try first working out the optimum brew ratio for your coffee, then pulling this same ratio into a cup with 30ml of hot water in already.

Unless your coffee really is very lightly roasted, I would have expected a 60ml shot from a single dose to miss the balanced, sweet, tasty window. I would experiment more with shorter brew ratios, if only for your own purposes.

Also, 10g in a single basket would normally be overloaded, and would usually result in the puck expanding into the shower screen during extraction giving rise to channeling problems, and therefore taste problems. Difficult to tell without a naked PF.

Carry on. And keep us posted.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

As mentioned above 10 gms is normally too much for a singe basket and the coffee will be tight against the shower screen without room for expansion.

Try loading 10 gms, tamp , place a small coin on the puck then lock into machine, remove the PF and check for depression in the puck =too much coffee= no room for expansion.

I put several kg of beans through the same basket but on a Barista Express. It would appear that the innards of the Bambino are functionally very similar. 3 way and flow meter. No way of knowing what else they may have changed. The BE could brew at 15bar and the grinder on the BE could cope with that easily.

Dose was 9.4g if I remember correctly but that is with a very light bean. Can't remember what the razor tool left but always used that as a basis and then increased it very slowly. At some point the puck would stick to the shower screen and  1 or 2/10 g on top of that prevented this from happening. Any more than that weakened the drink. The shot volume didn't alter much while this change was being made because I just pressed the button. It turned out that the default setting of the double button was about right. Brewing at 15bar just at the point where little water was going out of the over pressure valve. Easy to tell on the BE as they dump that water into the drip tray. They might not on the Bambino.

Ratio with this bean was over 3. Time somewhat over 30 secs. ;) Don't ask me how much over as I didn't care, only taste matters. I'd guess mid 30's+. Ratio I use on the DB is lower brewing at 9 bar but it needs more coffee. Times much over 30sec on that wreck the taste.

The OP used a ratio of 4.5 in the last video. It seems that the Bambino can brew at 15bar but that's just an odd comment from some one. My experience suggest that higher ratios can be used at higher pressures but that seems high to me too. I did use a commercial espresso machine bean on the DB where that wouldn't be entirely out of order but no fresh roasted at all. Can't recollect any fresh on the BE needing that either and always tuned for the taste beans are said to have.

Sage reckon 10g max on this basket by the way. Maybe dense and light roasted beans. I will hold more than a commercial single in fact their dose would probably result in a rather wet puck.

Pucks may not stick in the same way on a Bambino. Wish they did on the DB as what that does in this area is a pain and the razor tool for is no guide at all.

John

-

• Like 1

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Thanks to all for the feedback...

Now on the dose of 10+ grams in single basket. I started with 8,5g, which is what was left after applying the Razor tool provided. Let remind that PF and the baskets are from Barista Express. With this dose I had to go too much fine on the grind and the coffee taste was bitter and the flow initially was OK and then just drips. The pucks were always wet. Then with lots of experiments I came to dose 10g, and even 10,5g (this is when you level to the top of the basket and then tamp) with grind that was more looking right. At that dose/grind the taste was no acid and not bitter, but nice and rich of aroma (not much of crema) and the flow was good. Still achieving consistency was difficult. The beans are roasted locally (medium) and 3 weeks old. The pucks in that case was good and not wet but in most cases you can see the print of the grouphead shower screen. And yes Sage say the single basket is good to be used from 7 to 10g.

Today I'm back on Maromas Orphea and below is my first shot without dial in, just remembering the grinder position. I can make a difference now between the two coffees - Orphea much easier to pull a good shot and better looking flow and crema, the local roasted Brazil Yellow Bourbon Fazenda Rainha is much more difficult to pull a good shot, but better taste and aroma.

BTW I was not expecting that it will be that difficult, but I've learned a lot since and was encouraged and supported here, which is really nice! Still long way to go, but I'm in now ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El carajillo said:

As mentioned above 10 gms is normally too much for a singe basket and the coffee will be tight against the shower screen without room for expansion.

Try loading 10 gms, tamp , place a small coin on the puck then lock into machine, remove the PF and check for depression in the puck =too much coffee= no room for expansion.

I'm planning to do the coin test, but almost sure It wont get a pass ;)