Coffee Forums banner

LM LM Flow Rate

6K views 53 replies 7 participants last post by  Dunk 
#1 ·
So late night i undertook the task of replacing the flow restrictor in my LM mini for the 0.6mm that their commercial machines use. This makes the flow rate more acceptable, around 75-80ml per 10 seconds rather than 120ml, and helps with channeling etc.

To my surprise when i got in there there wasn't one fitted at all (no 0.8mm) which might explain some of the issues i have been having. Anyway initial thoughts are good. Currently finding:-

- grind much courser for the same of extractors

- much less channeling

- blonding happening more constantly

- espresso flow starts after 8-10 seconds rather than 4-5

- Good mouth feel and flavour

Only pulled a few shots so far so will report back as i keep testing. Also got the pressured turned down to 7.5 bar.

#3 ·
Maybe maybe, guess we will find out over the coming weeks.With the 0.8mm restrictor missing i would assume the flow hole was around 1.5mm!!!

First couple of shots with the curve natural Ethiopian were very berry like even considering it is 3 days off roast.

#4 ·
Dunk said:
Maybe maybe, guess we will find out over the coming weeks.With the 0.8mm restrictor missing i would assume the flow hole was around 1.5mm!!!

First couple of shots with the curve natural Ethiopian were very berry like even considering it is 3 days off roast.
Is that on the ek or major?

It's mighty odd the jet was missing. Did you get the machine new or 2nd hand?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Glad it's sorted, did you feedback to LM re their QC? Give their marketing blurb around hand built and the price you pay for this, I am a little shocked that an item can go out like this. All companies have QC mistake at some point I guess they are more prevalent around a mass built item than one where you are paying a premium like this. Is anything else missing, did they offer a full free service at a uk dealer?

#11 ·
I know the guys from la marzocco quite well as i'v done the coffee fest photography for them for a number of years. I'm sure its just a one off but its kinda interesting as most people wouldn't dismantle the boiler at any time so would never find out.

Got to admit it did confuse me for a while when i opened it up, spend about 10 mins looking for the normal one to remove before working out it wasn't there and i could just screw the new one in!!!

#16 ·
It can't believe how fine i had to grind and the channeling was crazy. Though at 6 bar it was do able.

I'm now up to 7.5 bar and starting to experiment again though the shots definitely run better, just have to recalibrate my whole technique! Kinda need someone to show it how to now hahah!

#22 ·
Since getting this all back together i really want to verify its my poor or less than ideal technique making bad shots over the machine. Is anyone London based or know of someone London based who has used a Mini and could swing by one day just to have a quick play and make sure its me not the machine?

@ashcroc@Mrboots2u @lake_m
im lancs. i would normally say it's no the machine but given they managed to miss a gigliceur off.....

if you are unsure ask for a free service or replacement machine as the qc was clearly poor on yours. for a premium hand made product its not good enough.

if you don't t feel this is the way to go pick a pressure, Stick to it.

pick a known coffe , buy a kg

#23 ·
Dunk said:
No worries, guess i just feel a bit all over the place with the shots im making compared to what i have experienced other make with the same machine. For example at the coffee fests.
Maybe a silly question, but you're not using Wandle water in your machine are you?

I'd offer to pop over but have never used anything remotely close to a LMLM & even your major is out of my league so not sure what help I could be.

#26 ·
If you don't mind me sticking in my 2 peneth. I had a mare with mine at first. I eventually got where I wanted it with the following:

8bar pressure.

I purchased 1kg of a medium roast (mainly as that's what I'd had when I had a play with one prior to buying).

20g basket, 20g dose. I found when I went down in size from this I couldn't quit get the shot I was chasing. Might be I wasn't grinding fine enough.

Turned the timer off on my scale and just went by taste @ 20g in -> 44g out. Even if one seemed to lash through I still gave it a try and just changed the grind as that was then the only variable. Once I'd got one I liked I turned the timer back on (just out of curiosity more than anything).

It was a [emoji462] ache for sure but at the start I was changing everything and that was a disaster.

One las thing and the only thing I hated about the LMLM check the PID. I found the temperature had a considerable effect on shot times and taste. I left mine at a middle of the road 93.5c while doing all the above as it gave me plenty of play each way once I was getting something decent out.

I know it all sounds noddy, but hope any of that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Useful. I found when I'm dozing over 18g in the VST 20g basket I'm hitting the shower a screen. That's not right surely!

As for the PID yes a ball ache. As 96 is the only mark on it what does 93.5 look like? How many clicker or lines back?

#30 ·
Dunk said:
Is that click or line?

Would temp have anything to do with dry tasting espresso
That was per click. I think it's in the manual. I'd be surprised if coming down to 93c doesn't give you a noticeable difference (in flow) and taste, but that is a law unto the bean itself [emoji23]

As for the dose touching the screen I found the same but that varied bean to bean. Some I'd get 20g in no problem others 19g was the absolute max.

#31 ·
That was per click. I think it's in the manual. I'd be surprised if coming down to 93c doesn't give you a noticeable difference (in flow) and taste, but that is a law unto the bean itself
emoji23.png

As for the dose touching the screen I found the same but that varied bean to bean. Some I'd get 20g in no problem others 19g was the absolute max.

Think i was using the line so could well be way less than 93 degree. Will adjust to clicks and see if i get any difference. I assume a low temp would mean a very unflavoursome cup like i have been experiencing?

#32 ·
I can only go off what I've read and do myself, but the rule of thumb was lower temps for darker roasts as they're easier to extract and higher temps suit lighter roasts. That's only a rule of thumb and not a coffee law before I get a thread pounding off anyone.

#43 ·
ok alternative suggestions, pay someone like@scotford or one of the baristas op might know to spend an hour and dial in, calibrate and sense check. you need someone with ek experience and a trusted skills and feeback. they might even have a scace
That's a good shout. Brixton's not far & he knows EK's which takes that out of the equation.

#44 ·
Mrboots2u said:
makes no odds , still a product they should stand by whether a cash sale or one for services offered.
Depends on how they came to the agreement in all honesty as we don't know the finer details.

But yes I do 100% agree they should check it over or offer something as good will.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.