Dunk

LM LM Flow Rate

So late night i undertook the task of replacing the flow restrictor in my LM mini for the 0.6mm that their commercial machines use. This makes the flow rate more acceptable, around 75-80ml per 10 seconds rather than 120ml, and helps with channeling etc.

To my surprise when i got in there there wasn't one fitted at all (no 0.8mm) which might explain some of the issues i have been having. Anyway initial thoughts are good. Currently finding:-

- grind much courser for the same of extractors

- much less channeling

- blonding happening more constantly

- espresso flow starts after 8-10 seconds rather than 4-5

- Good mouth feel and flavour

Only pulled a few shots so far so will report back as i keep testing. Also got the pressured turned down to 7.5 bar.

Wonder if that's been contributing to the results you've been finding with your ek.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

7 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

Wonder if that's been contributing to the results you've been finding with your ek.

Maybe maybe, guess we will find out over the coming weeks.With the 0.8mm restrictor missing i would assume the flow hole was around 1.5mm!!!

First couple of shots with the curve natural Ethiopian were very berry like even considering it is 3 days off roast.

• Like 1

Maybe maybe, guess we will find out over the coming weeks.With the 0.8mm restrictor missing i would assume the flow hole was around 1.5mm!!!

First couple of shots with the curve natural Ethiopian were very berry like even considering it is 3 days off roast.

Is that on the ek or major?

It's mighty odd the jet was missing. Did you get the machine new or 2nd hand?

• Like 1

That was with the EK43, gonna try the major as well.

Got it direct from la marzocco. SO even more weir.

• Like 1

Must've been a Friday afternoon build.

6 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
14 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Must've been a Friday afternoon build.

It would appear that way!

30 minutes ago, Dunk said:

wow, handcrafted indeed. 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Glad you got it sorted. Interesting to see the immediate improvements as well. 

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted (edited)

Glad it's sorted, did you feedback to LM re their QC? Give their marketing blurb around hand built and the price you pay for this, I am a little shocked that an item can go out like this. All companies have QC mistake at some point I guess they are more prevalent around a mass built item than one where you are paying a premium like this. Is anything else missing, did they offer a full free service at a uk dealer?

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1

Instagram - rjw_inc

2 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Glad it's sorted, did you feedback to LM re their QC? Give their marketing blurb around hand built and the price you pay for this, I am a little shocked that an item can go out like this. All companies have QC mistake at some point I guess they are more prevalent around a mass built item than one where you are paying a premium like this. Is anything else missing, did they offer a full free service at a uk dealer?

I know the guys from la marzocco quite well as i'v done the coffee fest photography for them for a number of years. I'm sure its just a one off but its kinda interesting as most people wouldn't dismantle the boiler at any time so would never find out.

Got to admit it did confuse me for a while when i opened it up, spend about 10 mins looking for the normal one to remove before working out it wasn't there and i could just screw the new one in!!!

1 hour ago, Dunk said:

I know the guys from la marzocco quite well as i'v done the coffee fest photography for them for a number of years. I'm sure its just a one off but its kinda interesting as most people wouldn't dismantle the boiler at any time so would never find out.

Got to admit it did confuse me for a while when i opened it up, spend about 10 mins looking for the normal one to remove before working out it wasn't there and i could just screw the new one in!!!

personally id expect a free local service but if your happy then all good.

Instagram - rjw_inc

3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

personally id expect a free local service but if your happy then all good.

I will see what they say, but yeah might be not a bad idea.

23 hours ago, ashcroc said:

So did a little comparison today with the mazzer and the EK43.

Both shots 18 in 45 out 30 seconds.

The EK shot now tastes so much sweeter and i feel more flavourful! The mazzer shot almost tasted ashy with lack of clarity. I hope that the flow restrictor was the main reaason why the EK was tasting so dull before. Maybe cause it was just throwing so much water through it.

I changed the restrictor to a 0.6mm on my LM previously. I cannot imagine how hard it must've been to get even a drinkable cup out of a machine with no restrictor. It must have been driving you mad before. 

2 hours ago, Planter said:

I changed the restrictor to a 0.6mm on my LM previously. I cannot imagine how hard it must've been to get even a drinkable cup out of a machine with no restrictor. It must have been driving you mad before. 

It can't believe how fine i had to grind and the channeling was crazy. Though at 6 bar it was do able.

I'm now up to 7.5 bar and starting to experiment again though the shots definitely run better, just have to recalibrate my whole technique! Kinda need someone to show it how to now hahah!

It can't believe how fine i had to grind and the channeling was crazy. Though at 6 bar it was do able.
I'm now up to 7.5 bar and starting to experiment again though the shots definitely run better, just have to recalibrate my whole technique! Kinda need someone to show it how to now hahah!
I know what you mean. I went to the
.6mm and 6bar with my LM and that was the sweet spot for me. Know a few who had it between 7-8 and that was also a good area. So don't think it'll be too long before you're back to it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Planter said:

I know what you mean. I went to the
.6mm and 6bar with my LM and that was the sweet spot for me. Know a few who had it between 7-8 and that was also a good area. So don't think it'll be too long before you're back to it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ahh to tempt me back to 6 bar. need to stop changing variables hahaha!

Since getting this all back together i really want to verify its my poor or less than ideal technique making bad shots over the machine. Is anyone London based or know of someone London based who has used a Mini and could swing by one day just to have a quick play and make sure its me not the machine?

@ashcroc@Mrboots2u @lake_m

Posted (edited)

Sorry @Dunk I'm split between Aberdeen and Darlington otherwise would have been happy to combine knowledge.

What in particular are you not happy with? 

Edited by lake_m

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3 minutes ago, lake_m said:

Sorry @Dunk I'm split between Aberdeen and Darlington otherwise would have been happy to combine knowledge.

What in particular are you not happy with? 

No worries, guess i just feel a bit all over the place with the shots im making compared to what i have experienced other make with the same machine. For example at the coffee fests.

36 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Since getting this all back together i really want to verify its my poor or less than ideal technique making bad shots over the machine. Is anyone London based or know of someone London based who has used a Mini and could swing by one day just to have a quick play and make sure its me not the machine?

@ashcroc@Mrboots2u @lake_m

im lancs. i would normally say it's no the machine but given they managed to miss a gigliceur off.....

if you are unsure ask for a free service or replacement machine as the qc was clearly poor on yours. for a premium hand made product its not good enough.

if you don't t feel this is the way to go pick a pressure, Stick to it.

pick a known coffe , buy a kg 

Instagram - rjw_inc

No worries, guess i just feel a bit all over the place with the shots im making compared to what i have experienced other make with the same machine. For example at the coffee fests.

Maybe a silly question, but you're not using Wandle water in your machine are you?

I'd offer to pop over but have never used anything remotely close to a LMLM & even your major is out of my league so not sure what help I could be.

1 minute ago, ashcroc said:
51 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Maybe a silly question, but you're not using Wandle water in your machine are you?

Haha no waitrose essential

Bt of back story

I got it direct from la marzocco as a favour for helping them out with photography for the coffee fest.

It was a machine used in one of their comps in the "warm up" area and apparently this is why the gicleur was removed. According to La Marzocco.

I think a comparison is needed and its probs just my poor technique than anything.

42 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

I'd offer to pop over but have never used anything remotely close to a LMLM & even your major is out of my league so not sure what help I could be.

I guess even if you tasted a shot and said if it tsated good or not that would be a starting point.....