nekromantik

Upgrade from Eureka Mignon to Niche?

Hi all

Is it worth upgrade from the Eureka to Niche if you only make espresso?

Or better to get used mazzer mini?

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Yes...having had both a big fat YES from me

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

I can't actually speak from experience, but I chose to go straight to a Niche as a first grinder.  The single dosing aspect is what appealed to me. with the ability to change beans on demand. 

I initially plan to only do espresso, but it does give me the option for french press at a later date.

Having never owned Mignon, hard to say - however, I’d consider it more of an upgrade in terms of workflow rather than results in cup.

If you are happy with the workflow of Mignon, I’d say save up for something that delivers better results in the cup.

Posted (edited)

Having used both, definitely a big upgrade. If anyone says different then they have not used both grinders. Although there is a very small group on here that don't like the Niche for whatever reasons.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

If your weighing in definitely the Niche. If your one of the school that uses a hopper plus timed grinds and accepts variations in dose weight things are less clear. I'd favour the Mini over the Mignon but haven't used one so mostly based on photo's of what comes out but maybe they have improved on recent models. Fine adjustment is not very good on the mini due to play in the burr carrier so if I went in that direction I would be looking at makers that give adjustment via a worm and wheel.

Niche in the cup. I tend to be a bit dismissive of comments on that as when ever I change anything even a machine I find I need to alter workflow. I've tried a couple of types of bean in Niche and no problems. Not tried a fruity one yet but will be shortly. Might be Madheling but that one is tricky so probably something simpler.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Having owned all, yes is the simple answer.

Yes weighing is more applicable to the Niche but minimal retention, it's a lot quieter than the Mignon & Mazzer which wins brownie points with SWMBO. It's easy to switch between grind levels should you choose to try brewed in the future. without losing settings.

I tend to stick to lighter roasts which the Niche copes well with and due to burr size you should see the difference in the cup.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Posted (edited)

The main thing I notice in the cup so far is stronger. Actual taste in my view comes down to quantity, ratio and time but with the beans I have put through so far 30secs is fine for me and 20secs for my wife down to a characteristic of the bean I use most often. it makes it taste sugary.

I usually find any different bean needs a grinder setting change. Also small changes when I am using them.

Weighing in on Niche or the Mini produces fluffy grinds. Bean type so far doesn't seem to matter. That down to hopper arrangement packing the exit from the grind chamber also internally plus antistatic thingies etc. I have no idea how well clump crushers work but have my doubts. I prefer fluffy to clumpy.

Not tried larger flat yet but have a 75mm 1400rpm to adapt for weighing in. MXD currently with a doser.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Posted (edited)

Strength is a function of the amount of coffee used to the amount of coffee it makes.

Its an interesting question re cup quality .say 3 years ago if someone had said would you get a mazzer mini or a mazzer kony (same burr set as a niche ) then overwhelming the advice would have been get a kony.  

Take from that what you will. Threads on is the niche better than X always provoke some ire ...

If you want to single dose then the niche is a great option, other grinders will single dose also, with a little bit more faff and perhaps some more retention. If you don't want to single dose , go elsewhere. 

The adjustment mech of the niche on its own would make your life simpler than the mignon .

I drink for want of a better phrase "lightish" roasted coffee with a niche and enjoy my coffee, I am sure i could enjoy it more if I had the space and a few extra 100's to spend , but I haven't so there :)

From a specs point of view a mini with standard burrs seems a sideways step to me. But I may be wrong , sure others will disagree . 50mm to 58mm? Some imrpovemtne but you my be searching for more sooner rather than later?

For clarity i own a niche , used a mignon not owned a mini.    

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Upgraded from Mignon mk2 to a Niche. Agree with what's been said here, especially re workflow. I'd make the same upgrade again in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

Hi

As far as i remember you bought that mignon from me some time ago, after that grinder i have used f64e, mazzer major electronic. To me, i wouldn't swap the ease of niche to any of these two. Workflow fits mine perfectly as i go between caf and decaf constantly plus 1kg of beans lasts me more than a month so i keep beans in separate bean cellars or airtight container. 

Taste wise, i like medium to dark roasts more than lighter roasts so for me taste is spot on. 

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I’ve had mignon and now have Niche.

In the cup it’s a big difference, the lighter roast you go the more so - Niche is in different class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Posted (edited)

It's conic v's flat so differences there obviously. But on balance, it's going to be better in the cup. By a country mile. IMHO

Edited by lake_m
  • Thanks 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The niche is a good grinder and suits most people’s needs at home, I don’t like wasting coffee purging and I don’t make enough a day for that waste to seem acceptable, also as I only have 2-3 a day I don’t want a dodgy first cup. I think the question for yourself needs to be am I happy with the mignon? If so the £325ish turnaround for the niche upgrade is quite a lot. If you want specific things the niche offers or are set on an upgrade you can’t go far wrong with it.

Thanks all.
I mainly use dark roasts. Would niche cope well with that?

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Yes - really well.

My Niche is much better suited to a dark roasted decaf I use for milk drinks than a k30 I was running before.

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live