MartinB

Dabbling with a Selecta Deluxe

Got my eyes on one of these and in all my years of playing with Gaggia machines i've never had the opportunity to own one.

I gather they're identical to the Classic apart from no 3-way valve and subsequently the grouphead is ever-so-slightly different as it doesn't have the additional holes for the 3-way valve to attach. Also the chassis probably doesn't have a hole for the outlet pipe.

Assuming I was bored at the weekend and I wanted to fit a spare grouphead and 3-way valve from a Classic, is it just the case of wiring it in as per the Classic and bob's your uncle?

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

I would assume that myself. 

Looking at a pic I found on Gaggia Users Group showing inside, the OPV setup is done a little differently (looks to be attached directly to the pump outlet).  The same pic shows the spare contacts on the steam switch for the disabling the solenoid.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Andori said:

I would assume that myself. 

Looking at a pic I found on Gaggia Users Group showing inside, the OPV setup is done a little differently (looks to be attached directly to the pump outlet).  The same pic shows the spare contacts on the steam switch for the disabling the solenoid.

Got it this evening and it's a nice little machine. Fitted a Classic OPV and set to 10 bar. Had a look at the wiring and dug out a spare Classic wiring loom and compared it to another Classic I have and its not just the case of two wires to each contact on the solenoid so will need to install the Classic loom. Subsequently, the Classic loom is now connected up to the Selecta switchback and is awaiting assembly on the bench to get it all wired up! 

It even has a pre-drilled hole in the chassis for the outlet pipe! Luckily I have a donor machine minus boiler I can rob the group head, wiring, solenoid and opv from! 

Edited by MartinB
  • Like 1

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

Got it this evening and it's a nice little machine. Fitted a Classic OPV and set to 10 bar. Had a look at the wiring and dug out a spare Classic wiring loom and compared it to another Classic I have and its not just the case of two wires to each contact on the solenoid so will need to install the Classic loom. Subsequently, the Classic loom is now connected up to the Selecta switchback and is awaiting assembly on the bench to get it all wired up! 

It even has a pre-drilled hole in the chassis for the outlet pipe! Luckily I have a donor machine minus boiler I can rob the group head, wiring, solenoid and opv from! 
Looking at the wiring diagram, a Classic has a connection from between the brew switch (that starts the pump) to one connection on the steam switch (a normally closed contact), the second connection goes from the switch to the solenoid and then finally from the solenoid to the common neutral.

4 minutes ago, Andori said:
26 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Looking at the wiring diagram, a Classic has a connection from between the brew switch (that starts the pump) to one connection on the steam switch (a normally closed contact), the second connection goes from the switch to the solenoid and then finally from the solenoid to the common neutral.

Hopefully I'll get it up and running tomorrow evening and report back 👍

• Like 1

Can't say I'm surprised about the hole in the case. Gaggia (pre Phillips) were very good at using the same parts for multiple machines if they could get away with it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

3 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
33 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Can't say I'm surprised about the hole in the case. Gaggia (pre Phillips) were very good at using the same parts for multiple machines if they could get away with it.

Makes perfect sense from a production perspective! Probably costs more to not have a hole drilled in the chassis and to do two runs of otherwise identical chassis' :)

Swapped the Classic grouphead, solenoid & wiring loom over tonight with a fresh boiler seal and she fired up absolutely spot on! Silvia steam wand on order as well as a new group head seal :)

• Like 2

Thought i'd update the thread with some pictures:

Straight away I added the Classic OPV and Classic pump:

4psfRX2h.jpg

7SSz88Rh.jpg

At this point I didn't think about converting to a Classic, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered fitting the OPV as the group heads are different!

Anyway, OPV was set to 10 bar with the old grouphead:

MbFgfQJh.jpg

Then I thought to hell with it, just convert to a full Classic setup, got a spare switchbank and wiring loom out and marked up the conectors using my other Classic as a reference:

PZURJr1h.jpg

No pictures of this as I cracked on, but Classic grouphead, solenoid and wiring installed alongside a new boiler seal. Checked the pressure again:

IDfe1VQh.jpg

Silvia steam wand arrived today:

X8HsQH5h.jpg

First proper shot:

ongvrSzh.jpg

With some milk

k9HOG4Wh.jpg

happy days!

• Like 4

That's a very nice looking sleeper you have there.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

On 04/10/2019 at 21:30, ashcroc said:

That's a very nice looking sleeper you have there.

Cheers buddy. It's going on long term loan to my mate. He's been wanting something for a while and now he can get to grips with making half decent espresso-based drinks at home! 

It's a great machine and I'm tempted to dig my one out of the garage and recommission it for winter! Might add a PID as well! 

I had one of these i would get a little fridge magnet made with

BO'

and stick it on the front. 😎

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Agentb said:

I had one of these i would get a little fridge magnet made with

BO'

and stick it on the front. 😎

Craig David in Bo Selecta'

• Like 1

Managed to nab this one! Working out how to fit a PID but looking forward to getting this set up in the kitchen. Just need a decent grinder - thinking of waiting till Christmas and getting a mignon specialita or silenzia. 

Until then it'll probably be pressurised baskets and hand grinder beans :( and reading about PIDs... 

• Like 1