Northern_Monkey

Replacing a SJ timer switch with an on/off one?

Hopefully this thread gets a couple more replies than my last one! 😂

I’m looking to replace my Mazzer SJ timer switch with an on off one instead to make weighing out a set dose easier onto a set of scales. Is this switch going to be suitable?

Astoria Cma/Mazzer Grinder-dispenser Selector Switch 0-1-start Positions 20a https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123844159726

I will take a picture of the timer unit and wiring if it helps but I think it only had two wires connected to it if I remember correctly.

I realised it should have actually been two pairs of contacts after checking again.

This part was cheaper, I’ve messaged the retailer to confirm which one would work if I changed the crimp connectors to match the new one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302449990179

DE91AB7F-B1CE-432F-8E10-E4132BDD5CF7.png

While I can't actually offer any help on this one, keep us updated how it goes, I've just got a beat up mazzer SJ timer that I may switch out for a on/off too if I get around to single dosing the front.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fyrewhirl said:

While I can't actually offer any help on this one, keep us updated how it goes, I've just got a beat up mazzer SJ timer that I may switch out for a on/off too if I get around to single dosing the front.

Good luck!

The seller replied to say contact the manufacturer... I went for the cheaper 4 contact one as it looked to be the same as the one in this link from a US shop coffee equipment shop.

https://www.espressoparts.com/manual-dial-switch-for-mazzer-espresso-grinders 

I’m currently waiting for it in the post now, I will update once I’ve tried fitting it.

Here is a YouTube vid showing someone doing the mod and includes which timer and switch terminals match up.

Edited by Northern_Monkey

Be careful of the capacitor while you're playing about with the internals. They're designed to hold their charge when not connected.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

34 minutes ago, ashcroc said:

Be careful of the capacitor while you're playing about with the internals. They're designed to hold their charge when not connected.

Thanks for the friendly reminder!

I did see the capacitor in the wiring diagram from another coffee forum and in my machine internals.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/394409

I was planning on using insulated screwdrivers and crimpers, plus being careful where the bare wires go and using a glow tester before touching any metal. Are there any other precautions/steps you would recommend?

I’ve done basic home electrical stuff in the past plus a bit of component soldering years ago, but I’ve always been able to fully isolate them first though.

If you open up the central hole to 1/2" you could probably fit a SPST on off toggle switch. I don't think that would prevent refitting the original switch providing enlarging doesn't cut into it's fixing screws.

You would need to sort out the current switches wiring so live goes to motor live and same neutral. DPDT are sometimes easier to find. To avoid having live bare terminal connect the motor to the centre pair.

Both types are about with 1/4" spade terminals.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

18 minutes ago, ajohn said:

If you open up the central hole to 1/2" you could probably fit a SPST on off toggle switch. I don't think that would prevent refitting the original switch providing enlarging doesn't cut into it's fixing screws.

Interesting suggestion, I hadn’t considered fitting a single throw switch but they do look a cheaper option with a bit of drilling. Any ideas on the voltage or current ratings I should be looking for?

I did like that the spare one I ordered was visually pretty similar to the original timer knob, lets see how I get on with trying that for now but I will keep your idea in mind.

Mains voltage and high current rating. I think 15A is common but be sure that's at mains voltage. They may not last as long as a rotary cam switch but are cheap enough.

John

-

• Like 1

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

I swapped out the timer this morning for the cam switch I ordered from eBay, the fit is fine and works as expected.

The original mazzer timer knob is a bit more solid/heavy but the new one isn’t too bad. Only tricky part was fitting the ring terminal crimps, I hadn’t done it before and needed to double back the bare wire to get a snug fit.

So all in all a success and one step further along with the refurb!

• Like 2