nicholasj

Concrete steps repair.

Our neighbour has outside steps to her house.  They were very worn and becoming dangerous.

She asked what I thought about the repairs.  I said that I didn't know anything much about this but it didn't look very well finished.  Any concrete people or builders here care to make an educated comment please? Cheers.

D7805FD2-9BEA-423A-8F4A-4F1C8F492F5B.jpeg

Edited by nicholasj
Spelling....

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

Yeah so they have topped off the old steps with more concrete it would seem.

Is it all cracking and coming away?

They should’ve took more time to get some ‘fines’ into the front part of the repair job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Sage bambino plus & smart grinder

@SkateReclaimCreate

Is it a trick of the picture, or are the treads all at different heights?

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

1 minute ago, ashcroc said:

Is it a trick of the picture, or are the treads all at different heights?

Thy always were different heights, they are very old.  The issue is the finish.

EF2A76A6-7ED8-4A2D-9FB0-652C7B7144BD.jpeg

7 minutes ago, joey24dirt said:

Yeah so they have topped off the old steps with more concrete it would seem.

Is it all cracking and coming away?

They should’ve took more time to get some ‘fines’ into the front part of the repair job.

They have just been finished.  So no issues at this time, just the finish. Would frost potentially be a problem. Needs rendering.....but I don't know.

79FF2E99-C232-463C-BE4C-ADA7F8143224.jpeg

Edited by nicholasj

Thy always were different heights, they are very old.  The issue is the finish.
EF2A76A6-7ED8-4A2D-9FB0-652C7B7144BD.thumb.jpeg.89aa0ad63a3a3622d94691386bc2e558.jpeg
I'm not in the trade so can't comment further than saying I personally wouldn't be happy with the finish. Even though they were old & worn, it would have been the perfect time to put them back into spec.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It looks woeful!

Looks like they have cast a thin layer of mass concrete on top of the old steps.

It might last a bit. but I wouldn’t accept it. The rough parts are honeycombing where the concrete isn’t compacted properly. This will let water in and will speed up degradation.

They should have prepared the old surface first to form a good key for the new concrete. If they didn’t, this could delaminate.

I’d also want to check the stair risers are still even as this can cause trips if not.

I’ll warn you now, that proving any fault is hard without knowing details (I’m not asking to know!). Depends on what was agreed and who was involved etc...

• Like 1

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Thanks guys.  I agree, it doesn't look like it will last....interesting to see what a long hard frost may do. 

If you render that now it will break away without doubt. Should of been tamped down better and shuttering removed way before it set so it could of been troweled off neatly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holyzeus said:

If you render that now it will break away without doubt. Should of been tamped down better and shuttering removed way before it set so it could of been troweled off neatly. 

Thank you @Holyzeus.

Definitely NOT a good / proper job. As already said , the mix is wrong without enough fines / cement. As it stands they will most likely begin to crack and break up, if they get frosted the material will disintegrate. The sub surface should have been ' scabbled' = thoroughly roughened to provide a good key and also a bonding agent used.

The correct job would have been to even the risers up to to give even step rise.

• Like 1

What on earth. There's no way that's bonded properly. 

• Like 1

ECM Heidelberg Mechanika IV Profi // Niche Zero

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)