CoolingFlush

Any love for "traditional" Italian beans?

Indeed, my guess is that it has to do something with the fact that they also decrease the yield. I would love to experiment with the darker roasts but the problem is that their 250g packaging does not keep the beans fresh enough as it works differently than the big metal tins they sell to bars - the latter even has a special key to open it and it is a regulation from Illy that they have to let it stay open for 8 hours before they are allowed to use it. I am considering to buy one (they are available online: https://www.maxicoffee.com/en-gb/illy-intenso-coffee-beans-15kg-drum-p-87752.html) and get a key from eBay or ask for it in an Illy bar next time I am in Italy...

I weighed a couple of shots of Super Crema stopped @ 50ml inc Crema...

Total Volume: 50ml

Brew Weight: 34-36 grams

It will be interesting what weights your contact at Mokador advises.

Edited by NikonGuy
  • Like 1

Current:  La Marzocco Linea Mini | Mahlkönig EK43S (Loan Unit) | 25g VST Basket | Torr TI G5 TF SE 58.55mm Tamper

Past: Rocket Appartamento | Eureka Olympus 75E w/ Titanium Mythos Burrs | 18g VST Basket | Torr Classic 58.4mm Tamper

Having enjoyed the Manaresi Marrone blend, I came across a 250g bag of their Oro blend and couldn't resist trying it. It has P45 11 21 stamped on, so I'm guessing it's best before Nov 2021, potentially roasted Nov 2019, so not particularly fresh...

IMG_20200216_075638335.thumb.jpg.507645b06a9bfd7099326d9a557da6e1.jpg

On inspecting the beans, I'm impressed by the uniformity of their appearance and size. They have the beginnings of a slight sheen, but are not 'oily'.IMG_20200216_075653998.thumb.jpg.dc387b4e9e6c79f53fd4b1cecac34fd6.jpg

The coffee behaves like slightly old coffee - I still haven't finished tightening the grind, finer and finer! Nevertheless it has given me a couple of ok espressos. Thick, heavy body, a very monotone flavour of strong dark chocolate. Slightly too carbonic - not ashy but a bit of an overdone toast taste. In a cappuccino however, it tasted immense! So rich and powerful.IMG_20200216_085758001.thumb.jpg.f10eaed6aabb1938463782278494c514.jpg

I might need a couple more shots to have it fully dialed in, but in summary I'd say that it's a bit plain and dark as espresso, but incredible as a traditional cappuccino. ???

• Like 2

What dose / yield are you finding works best with that bag?

Current:  La Marzocco Linea Mini | Mahlkönig EK43S (Loan Unit) | 25g VST Basket | Torr TI G5 TF SE 58.55mm Tamper

Past: Rocket Appartamento | Eureka Olympus 75E w/ Titanium Mythos Burrs | 18g VST Basket | Torr Classic 58.4mm Tamper

I'm in Bologna for a few days next week. Might try and buy a few bags of bar coffee

Out of interest have any of you who like an 'Italian coffee' tried the Italian blend that they sell at Aldi?

Not sure I had the Italian one but I did try one of the others when I was completely out of beans, they were roasted within the month and were not too terrible IMO in milk.

27 minutes ago, Spazbarista said:

I'm in Bologna for a few days next week. Might try and buy a few bags of bar coffee

Bologna is a lovely city! Some local roasters I tried in bars are Attibassi and Filicori Zecchini and I have also heard that Caffe Terzi is good although I have not tried it myself... anyway you'll have no problem finding some good fresh beans there!

4 minutes ago, adamkovacs1126 said:

Some local roasters I tried in bars are Attibassi and Filicori Zecchini

I have a bag of Attibassi Crema d'Oro lined-up, I'll stick a review on here when I get around to trying it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikonGuy said:

What dose / yield are you finding works best with that bag?

My Pontevecchio machine has a weird size portafilter, so YMMV.  Doses range from 12 to 17g and my 'standard' is 16g. I used 15g of this, didn't weigh the output but keep it 'short', at less than 2 full lever pulls. Grinding finely is a must.

2 minutes ago, Spazbarista said:

Yeah...but not sure where I can buy 1kg bags.

If you cannot find a place selling them in-store you can tell the bar manager you loved their coffee and you would like to take a bag home as souvenir... I am sure they will gladly provide one.
I don't know where the roasteries of Attibassi or Filicori Zecchini are located exactly but if you look them up I am 100% sure you can buy some freshly roasted beans from there.

1 hour ago, CoolingFlush said:

I have a bag of Attibassi Crema d'Oro lined-up, I'll stick a review on here when I get around to trying it.

Where did you find them? They do not seem to be a brand big enough to appear in UK supermarkets ?

3 hours ago, HowardSmith said:

Out of interest have any of you who like an 'Italian coffee' tried the Italian blend that they sell at Aldi?

Not sure I had the Italian one but I did try one of the others when I was completely out of beans, they were roasted within the month and were not too terrible IMO in milk.

I've tried it. The roast was too developed and the beans were very poor.

Interesting read, did you really have to pull 14g/20g/40 sec? I have some left over Super Crema in the freezer, I will give it a go! 
Yep. That's what we've been drinking and enjoying.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

I am trying a bag of black Robin blend, which is a lot like an Italian style espresso. 

https://blackrobincoffee.co.uk/shop?olsPage=products%2Fblack-robin-blend

They don't roast in house, they source from York I believe... 

Anyway, dark roast. Slight sheen on the beans which I'm very not used to - I usually go for a medium-dark with no oil at all. Backed off the grind a bit as darker roasts are more forgiving and it does a good, chocolate and hazelnut espresso. It's dark and fairly bitter - definitely made for milk drinks, not enjoying subtle fruity notes. 

But I am discovering I love coffee like this. I really love light roasts in immersion and pourover brews, but for espresso there is something really wonderful about the smooth, syrupy texture of a good latte. 

IMG_20200216_094202_412.thumb.jpg.b19ce78cdf5eb93e69d8fac9afb10433.jpg

Amateur at latte art, mind... 

• Like 3

Here is Attibassi Crema d'Oro:IMG_20200221_144221396.thumb.jpg.80f8d691d2ca4ddf37535103fccdc7d4.jpg

(Can you imagine a modern roaster coming out with the matte/gloss combo packaging, featuring a baroque coat of arms?!?)

It is their blend with "a small amount" of Robusta. They also appear to do a more Robusta-heavy blend (Miscela 1918), and an Arabica blend (Sublime 100%).

Unfortunately the roast date on this is 11/10/19, so they are old?!

I was initially going to write a fairly scathing review of these, mainly because they are just SO DARK. They're almost black, and whilst dialling in, they tasted of 'black'!

IMG_20200225_195139813.thumb.jpg.5df1d151e8c367d87d9140ac9f742b35.jpg

Here they are next to some medium roasted beans.

However, i have since got the grind fine enough to produce a short, syrupy ristretto, and during the week have also tried Waitrose Sumatra Mandheling, which I found to be even darker and absolutely horrible, with lots of acrid off flavours!

IMG_20200227_062002026.thumb.jpg.ac0e07389b784eae3aec08d803fc5bd2.jpg

(Waitrose Mandheling with oil slick).

So the Attibassi has come out ok, it's a very dark, very (very) simple espresso. There's not much else to say about the taste. Maybe it illustrates haw it's difficult to get a bad espresso in Italy - I'd say the Waitrose Mandheling is an overtly bad espresso. If you like dark shots with no complexity but no "off" flavours (and if you can get a fresher bag), you might like this.

IMG_20200229_080353375.thumb.jpg.c9cf00be54593d4c53f38fa96e8c92e1.jpg

IMG_20200229_080428077.thumb.jpg.d1ed2ff7d284f389e07f180a76ee0067.jpg

• Like 2

I'm Italian and I can say that the typical and traditional Italian espresso is one of the worst coffees someone can ever drink. I don't appreciate it at all. The less tragic is Puro Milani in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20200607-130755.thumb.png.fc536b36e46f8c2dac5a26deee18455a.pngCan anybody who has tried them warn me off these Lidl beans? I am due to buy some quality coffee tomorrow from a local roster, but being in lockdown I have struggled to access Italian made beans, and I see these are imported from somewhere in Lucca.

Edited by CoolingFlush
Mis-typed

On 29/02/2020 at 08:36, CoolingFlush said:

IMG_20200227_062002026.thumb.jpg.ac0e07389b784eae3aec08d803fc5bd2.jpg

(Waitrose Mandheling with oil slick).

Good LORD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

On 09/03/2020 at 13:24, struttura.originaria said:

I'm Italian and I can say that the typical and traditional Italian espresso is one of the worst coffees someone can ever drink. I don't appreciate it at all. The less tragic is Puro Milani in my experience.

I like illy taste so far.Nice arabica blend.Any idea what sort of beans are inside?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lterzo said:

I like illy taste so far.Nice arabica blend.Any idea what sort of beans are inside?

A blend made with all the single origins they have.

Edited by struttura.originaria

When I was in Italy and had an espresso, it was surprisingly drinkable. I actually quite enjoyed it, as a one off drink.

But yeah, it’s so vastly different from a well extracted light roast it becomes a different drink.
  • Like 1

New coffee time:

Miscela Selezionata from Caffe Ginevra. It's kind of their 'premium' blend, but being a Sicilian roaster is far from a light roasted 100% Arabica: "A higher Arabica bean content gives this blend a more Northern Italian coffee style while the little Robusta keeps it Sicilian", they proclaim.

Nice packaging:

IMG_20200613_130203711.thumb.jpg.6948ce299e2a9f87d95b3c701a4c6ae8.jpg...although I decanted into a sealable, valved bag. (Unless you buy 1kg, this blend comes decanted from sealed valved bags into smaller paper bags).

The beans are dark and a little oily:

IMG_20200613_130422000.thumb.jpg.b87043022b60040d3586d2c4e51efb34.jpg

"They smell like cigars" said my wife, disapprovingly. If you like cigars, then great! If not, you could call it "earthy" or "toasty"!

I can't say that the appearance of the beans screamed 'quality', although you could say that they've just been taken beyond second crack, and have, well, cracked:

IMG_20200613_130640106.thumb.jpg.a69e5edc77c545f5b4c3690ee68e6e4b.jpg