dfk41

Has the dust settled

Well, having confined myself to the sidelines for the past few months, although I admit I still glance at what's going on every few days, and without those who dislike me accuse me of popping up to stir up trouble, I simply wondered if those forum members who have been around long enough, have any thoughts as to how the forum is compared to how it used to be. In other words looking at the changes that have taken place with new ownership.

• Like 11

Hey up! Good to see ya.

I’m still not 100% with Tapatalk. Site and app don’t seem to be communicating very well. I don’t use the website hardly so can’t comment.

Crack seems to be coming back a little in places though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Good to see you, David!

I’m finding the new system hard work and don’t like the new layout etc and it doesn’t play well with Tapatalk.

I don’t know about others but it feels like the forum is not as good as it used to be, to say the least...

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

Good to see you back @dfk41 - from my point of view I don;t post as much, still read it but the banter has gone and I only ever read the new posts, search facility isn't great.  Not a huge fan of the layout either. 

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Now that you've popped up to stir up trouble (🤣), let me tell you one thing: at times it feels like there's less traffic and new posts. My humble theory being, it's the lack of the likes of YOU troublemakers that makes for an uncomfy quietness. Now, get your act together and satisfy your fan base!

Glad to see you back mate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see you.

They have nicked my facebook background picture and put it as a background picture on my profile here, makes you wonder what other information they have appropriated.

Londinium L1, Compak E8, Gaggia OWC, Kitchenaid Artisan, Bezzera BZ02, ECM Giotto, Gene Cafe 101.

14 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Well, having confined myself to the sidelines for the past few months, although I admit I still glance at what's going on every few days, and without those who dislike me accuse me of popping up to stir up trouble, I simply wondered if those forum members who have been around long enough, have any thoughts as to how the forum is compared to how it used to be. In other words looking at the changes that have taken place with new ownership.

I don't post so much now, not really anything to do with the software as that's settled down, don't care about who owns it.  I think for me it's not as good as it used to be for other reasons and I have rather lost interest in posting too much these days. I'm more busy creating and moving some projects forward in an environment where my skills are useful and appreciated, rather than unproductive posting and brickbats on a public forum.

Been looking at a few prototype machines, some other fun projects and today look forward to a demonstration of another new machine awaiting launch. I will be getting one to test and it's going to be interesting to see how an old timer of the prosumer machine world has done and what they have made of all the changes and their need to change and compete.

The Lelit needle valve tests have been interesting, and I am awaiting a test valve kit from Profitec, if they bother but I'm not going to chase them. One way or another there will be a kit I can recommend (or possibly both) where appropriate E61 machines can be converted to flow/pressure profiling. The maintenance issue and performance side I can explore as well and will be feeding some stuff back to Lelit as this area has been neglected, plus I think a small change in O ring materials might bring benefits.

• Like 8

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I’m still here. Where else can I show off my forthcoming MAX to such an appreciative and envious audience besides, there’s still some banter and good coffee related bumph. And@Obnic @Hasi @NickNak @Joey24dirt @coffeechap and all the others that make it what it is! Boots etc

I suppose it’s what you make it.

• Like 7

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Its changed but places do change or evolve.

I couldn't get on whilst on holiday and posted the issue on here.  As yet, no feedback - not that I was expecting any.  If I'm honest I didn't miss the place but a couple of years back it would have frustrated me.

I cant get excited about the stuff that's posted - more chaff than wheat imo.  

I still have a love of good coffee but find myself starting to reply and deleting my posts most of the time.  

It isn't the place that I joined in 2013.  There doesn't seem to be the same focus or momentum but that may be because my knowledge has changed.

All that said, there seems to be a reasonable amount of activity on the forum so maybe the forum is as it was and its me that's changed.

edit Oh … and welcome back

Edited by working dog
  • Like 5

a grinder a lever and some beans

So much of the get up and go has got up and gone and the new owners have followed suit.... nary a post for a good while now I think

No work being done on the public facing side of the site either... it is as if they lost interest.

I look in daily but days can go past without me finding a new post title interesting enough to read further

dare I say there is no coffee direction now?

Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I must have missed some major developments and had put down the lack of notifications on tapatalk to there being an issue with my app rather than people posting less.

So people are posting less and there are new owners???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

If you don’t post , create threads that interest you then you won’t find stuff suiting you .

Hello  @dfk41 are you back or are you teasing us ? 

Edited by Nicknak
  • Like 4

For me it's not as good as it used to be. I've never used tap talk, just the website on my iPad which now takes ages to upload and often freezes. I spend a lot less time reading the forum and posting but there seems to be a lot fewer posts than before. 

Don’t get dragged into the self fulfilling forum ruining prophecy.

one stray post on a random thread you nearly didn’t post leads to the next and so on. The forum needs all the characters to hang on, however bloody grumpy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi @dfk41 good to see you popping your head up :-)

I'd say it seems quieter than it has been... but it is still possibly "summer dip" where everyone is out enjoying themselves etc........

I've personally been fairly busy doing "other stuff" but tend to checkin most days... but like a few posters above - haven't found too much to tweak my interest/prompt me to post.....

Still some banter/craic but........ time will tell.

• Like 2

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

I think the reduction in genuine detailed shared knowledge and support of new users and increasing arguments over sponsored content caused a loss of interest from myself.

I now find myself having far more detailed and interesting discussions with members through forum messaging or directly through whatsap

Also  without trying to disrespect to the new owners the key to the forum was that it was started by someone who was without reproach when it came to coffee. Its a bit like it loosing some of its soul in some ways.

I know nothing goes on for ever or would exist without some level of sponsorship but hand me my tinfoil hat as there appears to have been an increase in new posts about specific items from very new users that look suspiciously like covert marketing to raise some products profiles.

• Like 5

keep calm and grind flat

I do look in from day to day but usually very briefly as I find very little of interest. I do chip in from time to time if I can help / give advice usually technical.

Good to see DFK pop in again.

Sad to say the forum is a shadow of it's former self.

• Like 3

I too preferred the old forum, even though I've persevered on this one. I guess with a change of ownership you'll always have a 'new broom' eager to make changes 'for the best.' Unfortunately the old forum was falling to bits and I see it as being like my trusty Sony Vaio, as in my laptop runs on Vista, has never let me down (unlike my Windows 10 laptop which died and was crap) but it's no longer supported and I struggle to view some websites on the older browser version as well as upgrade some photo software. This forum is future proofed and constantly updated (in the background).

Can't say I've been around much either as I'm snowed under with work, and have just come back off holiday which was internet bliss! (was in rural Poland where there was no internet and my phone was chucked in a drawer..)

Here's me enjoying myself being a farmer.. This was last week and around 35 degrees C..

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 6

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

The forum has been a really top resource for me and many others. It is in fact a decent online community. Where else can coffee be discussed in minute detail?

It's a great shame that things have been quietening down. I'm hoping users find their voices and things return to normal. It may well happen.

I've never tried tapatalk. Why do people need it? I have only ever read negative comments about the app

• Like 1

I think Tapatalk works fine, with the odd eventual glitch. I use it exclusively to browse this forum either on iPad or iPhone. I do not use the web version, ever. The few times I used it I simply don’t get on with it. To me, it feels like a very bloated web application poorly designed.

With regards to the forum itself, I agree with the comments above. I do try to participate and help members if I can. However, those members seem to come to the forum, ask a question, and disappear. There’s very little engagement these days.

Another thing I might be helping is that the “old members” have settled down with their kit and have asked and answered their share of questions. It then becomes mostly more of the same, repetitive, and interest is generally lost.

Personally, I’m not a fan of banter on a forum medium. I don’t mind it in real life. I also seem to have settled down with my coffee kit and, like Jimbo, tend to communicate about specifics with other forum members via PM or email.

Don’t get me wrong, I learnt a lot on here and I am very grateful for it.

One of the things that, to me make this forum even better and contribute to a feel of a community are the forum events and meet ups, even once a year.

The for sale section is also a good point, however it seems very different from what it used to be couple of years back.

Nice to see you post again David.

As for the site and software etc I think most has already been said. I 95% use tapatalk and it is better than it was but still not brilliant.

The forum has improved from what it was but again still isn't ideal and IMO nowhere near as usable as its predecessor and its hard to get answers as to why from the powers at be.

Mods still do a great job as do a lot of the regulars to try and hold the forum together, which I guess is what keeps me returning.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 13/09/2019 at 06:26, MediumRoastSteam said:

Personally, I’m not a fan of banter on a forum medium. I don’t mind it in real life.

Surely the banter is what helps build relationships IRL & online?

The world would be a pretty sterile place if all interactions were "on topic"....

Agreements, disagreements, jokes, puns, pisstakes, sympathy etc etc - All this gives a 3d picture of people.... Without them life would be pretty shite!

• Like 4

Currently enjoying LSOL

Surely the banter is what helps build relationships IRL & online? The world would be a pretty sterile place if all interactions were "on topic"....

Agreements, disagreements, jokes, puns, pisstakes, sympathy etc etc - All this gives a 3d picture of people.... Without them life would be pretty shite!

Don’t get me wrong: I understand the function of banter. I do it, I get it, I engage and I participate in it. I’m just not a fan of it in virtual places, like in forum. It’s just personal preference. It’s a different matter in real life, face to face, where body expressions and voice intonations play a part.

It’s fine, I’m just boring.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Don’t get me wrong: I understand the function of banter. I do it, I get it, I engage and I participate in it. I’m just not a fan of it in virtual places, like in forum. It’s just personal preference. It’s a different matter in real life, face to face, where body expressions and voice intonations play a part.

It’s fine, I’m just boring. emoji16.png

You are certainly right that more subtle meanings etc can get lost when "talking" via screen......
Many a time you can witness (or even get drawn into) rapidly escalating arguments because a casual/lighthearted comment is mis-interpreted and then all hell breaks loose......

Plus once someone makes a judgement on someone based on such a heated argument (albeit based on an original misunderstanding) they will be forever prejudiced against that person.... thinking every future utterance from them is a personal attack!
By example I offer our very own DFK..... Dave is a very nice and friendly chap with a decent sense of humour.... I bet you can give many examples of people who react to his posts as if he were the devil incarnate :-)

Some (possibly fewer) think I have a vendetta against them too...... 

• Like 3

Currently enjoying LSOL

It’s a thin line. I’ve written, rewritten, re-read posts and then thought ‘sod it’ and deleted it. Not worth the sh*t storm if it’s misinterpreted. 

Forum etiquette is a skill that should be taught in schools 😆

• Like 5

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________