Flamingo

Machine advice for domestic use

I would definitely get a knock box. The grindstein one is cheap and effective.

Personally I feel like grinds from the niche need a good stir either in the cup or portafilter. Search for WDT on here or distribution tool to get an idea of the different options. 

LR, ZM

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Personally I feel like grinds from the niche need a good stir either in the cup or portafilter. Search for WDT on here or distribution tool to get an idea of the different options. 

+1

It also releases the static and makes it far easier to dump into the portafilter.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You're getting machine, grinder, tamper, blind filter, group brush and coffee in one go. That should cover the essentials and will get you started

You wanna be looking into a cheap set of scales (Amazon, 10 quid, 0.1 or 0.01g resolution), maybe a tamping mat/stand or similar depending on worktop, a milk jug to steam and pour (also around a tenner at Amazon) and a little knock box if you don't want to empty basket straight into organic bin

Keep the Niche between mark 17 and 22, your dose at around 15-16g to begin with. Output may be between 30 and 35g in a reasonable time frame (up to, say, 45 seconds). Not set in stone, but a little handle to hold onto while you're starting out!

You'll find lots of info re dialling in and preparation on here and on YouTube, feel free to ask us for advice of course.
Looking forward to reading how you get on!

But for now, enjoy the wait

I would definitely get a knock box. The grindstein one is cheap and effective.
@Fez for second level support

grind cup fits in Gaggia (standard 58) basket, so putting basket on top, turn around while shaking and gently knock on worktop to make grinds settle in basket should do the trick for now I guess
  • Haha 1

Thanks all for you advice. 
I have went for the Gaggia classic + Niche Zero, both bough from @Hasi
Will report back once I have made my first couple espressos!
Next item on the list is to learn how to pull a proper espresso
On a related point, do I need to get a coffee grind bin or should I not bother? Is there anything else obvious that I might be missing to complete my home set-up?
Should be a great pairing & the niche is about the cheapest electric grinder for switching between brew methods with ease.
There are plenty of mods you can do to the classic if you have a mind to (most are listed in thegaggia section somewhere), but fitting a PIDwll see the greatest improvement by far.
Would definitely suggest a knockbox, I used to just use a Tupperware pot but having a bar to knock onto is so much easier. You'll be wanting some 0.1g scales too.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Use filtered or bottled water (Volvic, Lockhills, Ashbeck etc) unless your tap water is soft. You can check this with your local water company website.

Edited by lake_m
  • Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, Flamingo said:

Thanks all for you advice. 

I have went for the Gaggia classic + Niche Zero, both bough from @Hasi

Will report back once I have made my first couple espressos!

Next item on the list is to learn how to pull a proper espresso :)

On a related point, do I need to get a coffee grind bin or should I not bother? Is there anything else obvious that I might be missing to complete my home set-up?

The same setup I'm part way to.  I got a 2nd hand Classic to replace my defunct Dualit, and want to get a Niche (I'm currently using pre-ground from a local roaster as I don't have a grinder🙁)  I may well have jumped on Hasi's Niche if I'd spotted it in time.  I need to strip my Classic and give it a service.  I've got the parts, just need to get round to doing it.

Do you have cups? It’s always good to have the right size for the drink you prefer, in my view :)

Popular makes include Inker, Acme,  Loveramics etc and they come in espresso, flat white, cappuccino etc sizes.

• Like 3

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

49 minutes ago, MildredM said:

Do you have cups? It’s always good to have the right size for the drink you prefer, in my view :)

Popular makes include Inker, Acme,  Loveramics etc and they come in espresso, flat white, cappuccino etc sizes.

Great point, my enjoyment of my drinks went through the roof when I got proper espresso cups, I got some ACME ones from eBay for a few quid each.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MildredM said:

Its odd, I never even thought about what I drank it out of! I'll take a look at a few of these

Thoughts around cups...

- material: ceramics is widely accepted as the gold standard, however there are other cups around if you prefer: double-walled glass, enamel coated mugs, thermos jugs,...

- wall thickness: in single-walled containers, more pre-heated material keeps your drink warm for longer. Downside being they're more prone to spillage as drops may collect between rim and lip, running down side wall

- right size: different recipes demand different amounts/ratios of content (single, double shot, milk, foam, booze, you name it). Depending on preference, get anything between 150ml and 250ml for a milk based drink, espresso cups for espresso obviously

- geometry: some geometries are better than others to start off pouring latte art. Has to do with turbulence and distribution... a simple bowl shape that is not too narrow or wide will be a safe bet

- colour: despite fitting well into kitchen/coffee corner, think how a beverage will look inside a colourful cup. Usually, they're only coloured on the outside to present your coffee in a neutral and clean way

- storing cups on cup warmer: especially with a small footprint machine like the Gaggia Classic, you may need to figure out a placement layout to pre-heat as many cups as possible without compromising accessibility. Placing them upright should give you more room as they can extend over edges while heating their bases first. However, placing them upside down keeps them clean inside, brings them up to temp quicker but makes for very hot rims.

• Like 2