Toms_Fix

Macap M4D First proper grinder?

Hi guys, i've just purchased my first proper coffee machine a Gaggia Classic 2014 model and now looking for a grinder to accompany it. I have not yet gotten hold of the machine but i think i have found a good deal on a Macap M4D (used and hopefully around £120-160). I was wondering what people think of this grinder, from what i have read it should be a pretty good first grinder, significantly better than something like the Sage Dose Control Pro (£150). 

The M4 has the following specs:

• 48mm flat burrs 
  • 250w motor 
  • 8.5kg weight 

Regarding what i want out of a grinder:

• easy to dial in
  • a hopper (ideally small) as i don't want to be single dosing every morning
  • a timer or some form of dose control 
  • Not crazy large (counterspace)

Is there anything i should be looking out for in particular as a used grinder, my list below is what i believe i need to check:

• Burrs sharp (or just replace them)
  • bearing in good condition (burrs not moving too much when static and no odd sounds)
  • Timer properly works
  • No damage to any threads 

Anything else specifically? 

Thanks in advance :) 

Ended up getting this grinder for £140 pretty happy with it, feels a lot more like a proper bit of kit compared to the grinders i could get new at a similar price! It all seems to be working fine, although a dim screen (seems to be a common problem with the Macap Grinders).

The couple did say they have never opened up the grinder for cleaning! needless to say i did a deep clean, few marks on the burrs but otherwise seems all in good condition. Looking forward to getting it all dialed in with the Gaggia Classic :)! Hopefully this grinder will last me for a long while :) 

Grinder after some TLC:

20190913_095120_resized.thumb.jpg.279643688e3ee4dc7540882bbbc676b0.jpg

Burrs after cleaning (i did remove the burrs to clean under them):

20190912_204935_resized.thumb.jpg.4edfce8a69c962060aa3dc014ff3f806.jpg

8 year old minging coffee before cleaning...

20190912_192701_resized.jpg

Edited by Toms_Fix
  • Like 1