Norvin

Londinium piston seals - how I fitted mine.

The shot volume was going down and it continued to drip for ages after I removed the cup so I decided to renew the seals. I have since found out that I may have got away with regreasing the seals, but there you go. I had set aside about 30 mins for the job, little did I know... The old seals came out easily enough but putting the new ones in without damaging them or the piston was another matter. The seals were too tough and would not stretch over the piston, I have seen the youtube video where someone uses wire to guide the seal, Reiss suggests using small allen keys but I couldn't do it and didn't want to risk damaging the seal or the piston.

Here is how I did it. A few turns of copper shim were wrapped around the piston so that the seal could slide over without getting caught on the sharp edges of the piston grooves. A longer piece for the furthest seal and a shorter piece for the middle seal. I fitted the seal to the piston using an adapter that I had made to fit a camera hood to a Rossi grinder but have since found that an end fitting from a 25mm MDPE fitting (about £3.50 from Screwfix) looks even better as it has a taper on the end to aid stretching the seal and is the right diameter.

The piston is back in the machine now but here is a picture of the bits mentioned, an old seal is stretched over one fittiing,

I hope that this helps someone. If anybody wants to try, send an SAE and I'll send some shim.

P1090549.JPG

• Like 3

Londinium L1, Compak E8, Gaggia OWC, Kitchenaid Artisan, Bezzera BZ02, Gene Cafe.

Thanks Norvin. I changed my seals about a month ago, using the recommended technique of 2 allen keys. It was a struggle. It occurred to me afterwards that wrapping some thin metal around the piston to stop the seals falling into the grooves,  would have made the job alot easier. I was thinking along the lines of some metal from a baked bean can, but your solution is alot better. Next time...

• Like 1

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Thanks Norvin. I changed my seals about a month ago, using the recommended technique of 2 allen keys. It was a struggle. It occurred to me afterwards that wrapping some thin metal around the piston to stop the seals falling into the grooves,  would have made the job alot easier. I was thinking along the lines of some metal from a baked bean can, but your solution is alot better. Next time...
A coke/beer can would be a lot thinner than a bean can & should still be strong enough to act as a shim.
  • Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Yes, cutting up an aluminium drinks can into spiral strips is easy and will probably work just as well.

I was really struggling until I decided to improvise, once I hit upon a solution the job became easy.

• Like 1

Londinium L1, Compak E8, Gaggia OWC, Kitchenaid Artisan, Bezzera BZ02, Gene Cafe.

@Norvin for next time you have to change your seals looks fairly simples other than finding a cone to fit, no doubt @MildredM wonderful hubby Ian could fulfill that part minus the ice cream :classic_blink:

Edited by MinesAbeer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

I thought about making something similar but it seemed a bit excessive for a single or very occasional use. Far more satisfying to overcome a problem with bits found after a trawl around the garage 😁.

Am I the only person who thinks about that bit in 'Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance' when cutting up beer cans for shims?

• Like 3

I have always wanted an aluminium cone 😂 now, where on earth can I order one @Nicknak 🤔

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

6 minutes ago, MildredM said:

I have always wanted an aluminium cone 😂 now, where on earth can I order one @Nicknak 🤔

How can you ask me that in front of the Master , Norvin , he is a proper engineer 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Er, accomplished bodger more like. Have you seen the first post?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Norvin said:

Er, accomplished bodger more like. Have you seen the first post?

Just like me then , you were my hero 😂.. 

• Like 2

Flipping ‘eck! I keep putting my foot in things today 🤣

• Haha 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband