Sign in to follow this  
Spazbarista

Look at this bad boy

Portafilter the size of a mug. You could get about 100g in that one.

Not long back from a couple of weeks in France and mostly Italy. French coffee is still exactly as it was 30 years ago when I lived there. A sort of watered down espresso, but generally acceptable. Every coffee I had in Italy was pretty much uniformly good in terms of extraction and taste. It was great to be able to order a coffee and know that I wouldn't be served some sort of rancid undrinkable slick and be charged £3 for the pleasure. 

Dont visit here much these days and pretty much ignorant as to what is going on in the coffee world these days. 

IMG_20190820_175035_192.jpg

i was in Brittany very recently. What surprised me was the difficulty in finding places that did larger sized americano style coffee. ;) Had to peak through doors to see what sizes they had on display. Some places idea of an americano was also nothing remotely like mine.

:) Often offered english breakfast tea too. Fortunately a couple of slices of lemon could also be added. 🤩 Some did that and then asked if I wanted milk in it. Fortunately the hotels usually had some decent stuff tucked away but we also took some tea with us for use in the rooms.

John

-

• Like 1

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

I wouldnt try getting an Americano in a normal cafe in France. You'll get an under extracted horror. 

Ditto tea in France. Usually what happens when they realise you are English is that they will proudly announce that they have 'english tea' and then produce Liptons, which is sub-PG Tips in quality.

Not quite sure why I put this thread in the tea section but well done for subtly getting it back on topic 😂

We holiday in Europe a bit, France isn't the only country that favours Liptons and thinks it's tea!😂.

Hate to sound like the English abroad but we take a few tea bags for a morning cuppa in the room (plus travel kettle if none provided)

• Like 1

I always remember talking to a Turkish guide who was going to the UK the following year. :) He was really worried as he had tried Liptons Breakfast so I mentioned that few of us actually drink it. He wanted to know what to buy and I said just about anything else just sold as tea what ever brand it was. I meant to leave him some PG to try but forgot.

They do drink an interesting tea though. Produces a pretty dark colour and drunk black and I would say not so strong a taste as many of us drink here. Rather pleasant stuff though that tastes good where ever it's bought.

We always take some tea where ever we are going along with a travel kettle and a couple of mugs and a Jiff lemon. Russian baltic tour in a ship and they removed the kettle from my suitcase and gave it back at the end of the trip. Fortunately the ship had plenty of good tea available - same stuff as they usually drink and cheap.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg