garethuk

72hr Maceration

This was one I just couldn’t get the hang of - although I didn't get to enjoy the tasting notes, it was sour after sour despite trying many variations of ratios etc., it did work wonders in 'other departments ' 🙈

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, garethuk said:

I tried some of this coffee today from Cartwheel Coffee ( https://www.cartwheelcoffee.com/jesus-lemus-leon-organic.html) , it was... Interesting. A very different taste. The process used is 72hrs Maceration (oxygen free environment). Has anyone else tried beans processed in this way?

Screenshot_20190824-163343.png

Yes had a bit. 

A real opinion divider and not a coffee for for the faint hearted but those thst liked it loved it. Up there with the hasbean Kenyan natural as a "wtf is this coffee" 

Funky bakewell tart, chery  cola liqueur . Challenging to make espresso with but not impossible wst better black with no milk either as espresso or filter. 

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Yes I had a v60 of it today... I can see the 'cherry liqueur'. Interesting as a one off cup, but wouldn't want to work my way through a whole bag. It's the first coffee I've had processed this way, assuming that's what's made the difference, it's a real eye opener to the impact of processing. 

It reminds of accidentally brewing  a cup of Earl Grey when I was expecting normal breakfast tea... just very different really. 

• Thanks 1

I tried it up at 750rpm on the grinder @Mrboots2u and although it changed the taste somewhat I still couldn’t get beyond sour. I love that wildly funky HasBean, Nicaragua red pacamara, I’d say it is in my top 5. 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

... not specifically on this one, but did attend a cupping session featuring a few hands full of anaerobic fermented Panamanian beans. I was like, what the heck?! in the beginning, but started to like the idea. Very experimental, but worth a try - I'd say.

Posted (edited)
On 24/08/2019 at 18:16, MildredM said:

I tried it up at 750rpm on the grinder @Mrboots2u and although it changed the taste somewhat I still couldn’t get beyond sour. I love that wildly funky HasBean, Nicaragua red pacamara, I’d say it is in my top 5. 

Limoncillo? That's one of my favorites too. That is also quite sour though. Colonna had a Catuai & Caturra Natural Hartmann which was somewhat similar too.

Edited by the_partisan
  • Like 1

I’ve just ordered a bag of this, it looks similar to something I tried and enjoyed recently, looking forward to giving it a go. I’ve never used Cartwheel before, and was pleased to see they don’t charge extra for shipping. That usually puts me off buying single bags.

• Like 2

@Junglebert let us know what you think of them once you've had a brew.  I really like Cartwheel I think their roast is really nice (not too dark for my tastes) and they seem to offer a good variety of beans.

On 24/08/2019 at 18:16, MWJB said:

Enjoyed every cup of this 🙂

@MWJB Thinking of ordering some of this but I'll be working away so I'll be brewing drip or immersion (probably immersion), can I ask how you were brewing yours? 

Cheers :)

Edited by Jon_Foster

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

17 minutes ago, Jon_Foster said:

@MWJB Thinking of ordering some of this but I'll be working away so I'll be brewing drip or immersion (probably immersion), can I ask how you were brewing yours? 

Cheers :)

Drip & espresso.

I rarely brew immersions, but I do use a Clever Dripper daily, for a drip style brew.

• Thanks 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Thank you!

I'll be without espresso making facilities so just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bean that worked best as spro. :)

• Like 1

Ah this was an amazing coffee! The carbonic element to the processing really gave it some zip on the acidity right? I didn't actually try Cartwheels but I did get a small sample roast of it. Heavy on the booze.

Love the Ihcafe90 varietal too. Seeing these crop up a little bit more these days now that Honduran farms are really stringently processing and QCing coffees. 

• Like 1

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Just had my first crack at this... a spro and a flat... insane. Loved it. It's the kind of coffee which reminds me why I'm into this speciality lark- such an array of flavour and texture. Got a feeling it is better black (I preferred the spro over the flat) but will see as I experiment.... I didnt find it overly acidic. Yes theres acidity in there, but it was more than balanced by the boundless sweetness...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah this was an amazing coffee! The carbonic element to the processing really gave it some zip on the acidity right? I didn't actually try Cartwheels but I did get a small sample roast of it. Heavy on the booze.
Love the Ihcafe90 varietal too. Seeing these crop up a little bit more these days now that Honduran farms are really stringently processing and QCing coffees. 
Hey, you still in london grind???

Looking forward to these!!

Thanks @Garethuk for bringing them to my attention :)

IMG_20190905_152033908.jpg

19 hours ago, simontc said:

Hey, you still in london grind???

Jesus not for years. Based in Brixton these days

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Haha- figured. I've not posted here for a long time.

• Like 1

Wow, this stuff is wild :D :D :D 

The smell when I opened them was intense, very funky, not unpleasant but a little challenging maybe... minded me of when I opened my first ever natural coffee, an Ethiopian from Horsham that came free with my Wilfa Svart, I thought they'd gone off at first. Smelt a bit like manure :D 

I've had beans using this process before, some Panama Geisha from Caravan, and it's got a similar note which I absolutely love, almost like an artifical fruit flavouring from a chewy sweet, really sweet candy taste. 

I've only had one cup in a V60 (15g/250ml, Feldgrind 2:4, James Hoffman YouTube method. Dry bed in 2.30.) and at the moment I think I prefer this process with the subtler flavour of the Geisha but I'm certainly intrigued to try more...

Thanks again for the heads up @garethuk :) 

Edited by Jon_Foster
  • Like 2

I opened mine this morning, the smell is quite arresting! The taste was great, I only made 2 shots and think I need to tighten the grind up a bit, but I loved it, not something I’ll drink every day, but really enjoyable.

• Like 2

Just about to open a bag of Ana Cecilia Estevez macerated natural Lempira. Also Honduran. Roasted by Fortitude, Edinburgh. Promises wine gums, strawberry and jasmine. Amazing as espresso at Little Fitzroy this weekend. I'll be brewing. 908c9d2e758f87b418100f5447b2e19c.jpg

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Liking the look of the tasting notes on that

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2