Jump to content
Bladevane

Sage DB - What a machine!!

Recommended Posts

Over the past xx years I have had a variety of coffee machines culminating in a Fracino Piccino. I bought this about 7 years ago from a newly married couple who had been given it as a wedding present by an employee of Fracino. Unfortunately he had not done his homework as they didn't drink coffee. What a shame. I've had to carry out a few repairs over time - 3 new boiler connections, descale, 'O' rings on the steaming valve - nothing major. However decided to upgrade to a Sage Dual Boiler Black Sesame, currently on offer at eCookShop at £699. What a machine. I had read reviews, company websites, YouTube videos etc so was convinced it would be a nice piece of work and boy I was not disappointed. I am so impressed with the thinking behind the design. Functionality, cable storage, water filling, tool storage, mobility - its all there. And it makes a superb coffee. I just need to polish up my latte art skills, (well develop some really).

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£699 is a very good price. The cheapest it is on offer today is £900.

I wonder how relevant dual boilers are today with the emergence of Thermojet (i.e. Barista Pro) at a significant discount. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, the DB is great. Having the luxury of having both the Oracle (non touch) at the same time, I ended up using the DB. The Oracle now sold. The only thing missing from the Oracle is the work light, it was a very useful feature. 
To ”Tony Fonda”, the Thermo jet is very good, but you still can’t brew and steam at the same time. “The boilers“ also produce very good steam, consistently. And they do bobbling noises 😁... The new BP seems very good, although, the BE will probably hold on still.

On the side.. I have always enjoyed black filtered coffee, and accepted nothing else than making that kind of coffee with Moccamaster from Technivorm. Now, I have just invested in the Sage Precision Brewer, Thermo version. It is absolutely fantastic. The Technivorm vent out.. The special feature where you make small amounts of coffee (450ml or less), is amazing, the way it pour, and then hold back the water in the filter holder, to extract flavours in the best possible way from the coffee, makes my “to go” coffee the best I’ve ever had. I have yet to try out everything, but each coffee pot has tasted better than ever. The thermo pot holds heat surprisingly well, even with smaller amounts. More to the point, this thing also use the thermo jet element, so it makes pressure pump noise, which is most unusual with this type of machine. It is also what makes the coffee so incredibly good! Only downside, by my means, is that it is not neat, nor pretty. Can I say it is a little “American” in design?.. I would like to see more English/Scandinavian design. next time😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Twin said:

Agree, the DB is great. Having the luxury of having both the Oracle (non touch) at the same time, I ended up using the DB. The Oracle now sold. The only thing missing from the Oracle is the work light, it was a very useful feature. 
To ”Tony Fonda”, the Thermo jet is very good, but you still can’t brew and steam at the same time. “The boilers“ also produce very good steam, consistently. And they do bobbling noises 😁... The new BP seems very good, although, the BE will probably hold on still.

On the side.. I have always enjoyed black filtered coffee, and accepted nothing else than making that kind of coffee with Moccamaster from Technivorm. Now, I have just invested in the Sage Precision Brewer, Thermo version. It is absolutely fantastic. The Technivorm vent out.. The special feature where you make small amounts of coffee (450ml or less), is amazing, the way it pour, and then hold back the water in the filter holder, to extract flavours in the best possible way from the coffee, makes my “to go” coffee the best I’ve ever had. I have yet to try out everything, but each coffee pot has tasted better than ever. The thermo pot holds heat surprisingly well, even with smaller amounts. More to the point, this thing also use the thermo jet element, so it makes pressure pump noise, which is most unusual with this type of machine. It is also what makes the coffee so incredibly good! Only downside, by my means, is that it is not neat, nor pretty. Can I say it is a little “American” in design?.. I would like to see more English/Scandinavian design. next time😎

Thanks for the reply. Went ahead and bought a new out of warranty SGP for less than a BP at then. Any advice on how to use it or maintain it? What about must have accessories besides a grinder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have two Smart Grinder Pro, one refurbished (came at a smart price :)), dedicated to filter and press, and the other to espresso grind. Besides that I have only bought a good tamper (with rubber to knock the portafilter with) and a rubber mat. And, yes; ended up with the Sage knock box as well, it too is an excellent design, that works and maintains easily.

I have been pleased with the grinders, I see no reason that a more expensive grinder should do so much better (for me). If the beans are old and dry, no grinder will rectify that. I throw the beans, and buy new freshly roasted, and get great results.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Twin said:

I do have two Smart Grinder Pro, one refurbished (came at a smart price :)), dedicated to filter and press, and the other to espresso grind. Besides that I have only bought a good tamper (with rubber to knock the portafilter with) and a rubber mat. And, yes; ended up with the Sage knock box as well, it too is an excellent design, that works and maintains easily.

I have been pleased with the grinders, I see no reason that a more expensive grinder should do so much better (for me). If the beans are old and dry, no grinder will rectify that. I throw the beans, and buy new freshly roasted, and get great results.

Regards

Which tamper have you bought?

Have you bought any cleaning product and brushes as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one exactly like this, in the picture.

No brushes except from those that came with the grinder. Each time I have brewed I run a shot holding the portafilter with the cleaning disk in, just hold it in place, not securing it or turning the handle, with some slight movement during the process. This allows the water to splash over the edge over the portafilter, and also around the bayonet in the group head. I have found this to be very effective, the shower screen and surroundings are kept clean!

Lazy makes creative 😁

9A84326F-9391-4013-982B-28444E05F3C0.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also.. I do of course use the tablets from Sage, and run cleaning process when prompted, or when I think it’s time😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Twin said:

I bought one exactly like this, in the picture.

No brushes except from those that came with the grinder. Each time I have brewed I run a shot holding the portafilter with the cleaning disk in, just hold it in place, not securing it or turning the handle, with some slight movement during the process. This allows the water to splash over the edge over the portafilter, and also around the bayonet in the group head. I have found this to be very effective, the shower screen and surroundings are kept clean!

Lazy makes creative 😁

9A84326F-9391-4013-982B-28444E05F3C0.gif

Looks good - but 58.4 would be better than 58mm from what I am reading online. How would this compare to the Motta Competition 58.4 for about the same price you reckon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post #5 :good:


GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony fonda said:

Looks good - but 58.4 would be better than 58mm from what I am reading online. How would this compare to the Motta Competition 58.4 for about the same price you reckon?

I have really no idea, this tamper is the only one I have bought, and used, besides the ones that comes with Sage’s machines that have a built in grinder, and for some reason the Dual Boiler as well, but not the Oracle. This was for when I did grind and tamp manually with the Oracle - if I wanted other beans than what was in Oracle’s hopper. A regular tamper may offer a bit better ergonomics than Sage’s, but I’m happy with that one as well. I don’t make better coffee with a regular tamper. Sage’s requires a bit more strength in your fingers, but I find the design easier to maintain even pressure over the portafilter,  so the coffee is pressed level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About:

    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:

    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

    Terms of Use

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Buy Advertising Space

    Donate

    Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)

×
×
  • Create New...