Alan Kilroy

One Grinder To Grind Them All.

So.....I imagine, like alot of people, I do Aeropress coffee at work and Espresso based coffees at home.

I'm still swinging the dial around come Monday morning and then swinging it back again for my espresso machine come Friday.

Not ideal but does it do any harm to my burrs etc etc. It's a fairly big shift on the dial.

Compak K3 Touch Adv.

Cheers.

Rocket Appartamento, Compak K3 Touch. Kalita Wave SS when on the move.

I use the same grind size for my Aeropress as I do for my Espresso at home. Since moving to a much finer grind on the Aeropress i seem to be getting a better flavour. I use paper filters inside the metal filter which seems to.keep the coffee cleaner.
I grind fresh daily for the Aeropress.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

17 minutes ago, Alan Kilroy said:

So.....I imagine, like alot of people, I do Aeropress coffee at work and Espresso based coffees at home.

I'm still swinging the dial around come Monday morning and then swinging it back again for my espresso machine come Friday.

Not ideal but does it do any harm to my burrs etc etc. It's a fairly big shift on the dial.

Compak K3 Touch Adv.

Cheers.

Retail grinders in shops often have their adjusters removed, this means they are rarely adjusted, probably only when the service guy comes round and digs out the accumulated coffee a couple of times per year. You are adjusting your grinder at least 100 times per year as opposed to perhaps twice per year for a retail grinder and therefore putting  5000% more wear on your grinder (which is only a domestic model). This is an enormous increase in wear...but I still think you will be OK ;)

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

The only real downside is the inevitable wastage when aiming for espresso again. I use an aeropress either on the go, or for certain coffees that rule as brewed but less so as espresso. I tend to grind a fair bit coarser for AP than espresso. However, I bought an Aergrind for the AP as it will grind for espresso in an 'emergency' but the big advantage is that it fits inside the AP plunger so it's great for travelling or work, and I don't need to mess with the settings on my Ceado at home. It grinds well and much faster than cheaper ceramic burr hand grinders. Not cheap but worth the money IMO. If you buy one, it's probably better to buy from a reseller than from Made by Knock direct. It'll cost a bit more but buying direct can mean waiting for bloody months!!

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

47 minutes ago, GrowlingDog said:

I use the same grind size for my Aeropress as I do for my Espresso at home. Since moving to a much finer grind on the Aeropress i seem to be getting a better flavour. I use paper filters inside the metal filter which seems to.keep the coffee cleaner.
I grind fresh daily for the Aeropress.

I find there is a very big difference between AP and Esp. grind size. If I use a fine grind on my AP, I'll be waiting till the coffee goes cold before it filters through. I let the liquid "Fall through" the filter. Opposite of inverted???

Rocket Appartamento, Compak K3 Touch. Kalita Wave SS when on the move.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Alan Kilroy said:

I find there is a very big difference between AP and Esp. grind size. If I use a fine grind on my AP, I'll be waiting till the coffee goes cold before it filters through. I let the liquid "Fall through" the filter. Opposite of inverted???

You should be pushing the coffee through the filter, using the plunger.. 

Aeropress is immersion brewing not pour over. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 2

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc