Haskell

[Gaggia Classic 2019] Shortening the OPV spring to lower bar pressure

Posted (edited)

Hello

Two months ago I got my first espresso machine and it is the Gaggia Classic 2019 RI9480/11, And it was a let down for me to know that there's no way to lower the factory default bar pressure of ~14 bars, Then I stumbled upon this Bulgarian fellow showing how he managed to lower the bar pressure by shortening a spring inside of the OPV, and he explained it very well with pictures and videos here: https://coffeeforums.bg/viewtopic.php?t=97

I googled around for someone else who has tried the same solution and I couldn't find any, even here, so I wanted to ask before trying it myself, because it is irreversible. 

I don't speak Bulgarian and I used google translator, but it failed to translate the whole page since it includes some weird HTML tags (I suppose) so here's a rough translation of the post (refer to the original post for pictures + videos)

Since the valve is plastic and does not adjust like the classics before 2015, I did the following operation.
I unscrewed the two screws that hold the machine cover. When removing the cover, be careful because it is gripped by two earth cables (do not interfere with modification).
The plastic OPV is mounted above the pump. It includes a red hose and transparent silicone, which overflows the excess pressure.

Disconnect the transparent silicone hose by pulling it while holding the OPV it is very plastic.
You unscrew the brass nut and remove the valve spring and cap.

Some water may leak, I put a plastic coffee cup :)
Here are our parts of the OPV

The OPV looks like this

The spring must now be shortened. I used pliers (Gaggia advised me to nap a little with a nap, but I didn't have one, and my urge to prank on the machine couldn't wait to find a nap). For me, the original length was 24mm, after 3 tries and cutting less to 20mm length the pressure was about 9.5 bar. I advise you to cut less to assemble and test the pressure so that it does not get too low below 9 bars.
Finally, the result

The whole procedure took me about 25 min.

Edited by Haskell
misspells

Posted (edited)

Yes it works, just cut ring by ring from the spring and measure the brew pressure till desired value. I made a few Gaggia Babies this way(same plastic Philips safety valve inside).

BR

Edited by L&R

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Awesome news! how come no one here mentioned this solution! I'm just waiting for my pressure gauge to arrive so I can start cutting down some rings!

one more question, are these spring can be bought separately if I mess mine up ? or maybe if I decide to have multiple springs to switch between multiple pressure settings :D

The whole OPV assembly is cheap so if something goes wrong, you can fix it easy.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Interesting topic. I'm getting my new Gaggia Classic Pro in a couple of days. I'm quite newbie with these so could you explain what is the negative effect of the factory pressure ?

If you want reversible, just put a pre-2015 OPV in. No need to remove the one that's in there as it'll never open & it's in a different position.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

For fitting pre 2015 expansion valve in GC2019 you will need the valve, a Teflon tube with connectors and a brass 1/8 fitting for the pump. It won't be cheap but worthwhile.

BR

GaggiaEnthusiast