James Connors

How much caffeine is too much caffeine?

Posted (edited)

Hey folks, hope you're doing great. So, I was reading this article: link removed and this is when this thing strike my mind -- how much coffee is too much? I usually drink 4-5 cups a days. Is that normal? 

And are there any side effects to drinking too much coffee?

Edited by The Systemic Kid
Advert link

Posted (edited)

4-5 cups a day is fine.

As to how much caffeine that is will depend on other factors (Robusta has more, Arabica less than Robusta).

I drink Arabica coffees and usually use 40-60g of beans per day, stopping around 6pm, maybe occasional espresso after dinner.

If your sleep isn't disrupted & family/colleagues don't find you too wired/shouty, you're probably OK :-)

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Amazon sponsored website behind link, first post, no introduction, let's keep an eye on this@rhys

Not enough caffeine is enough caffeine!

As @MWJB said though, I think the main thing is it's good to be mostly awake from enough sleep, rather than purely caffeine keeping you up. As long as you have enough sleep and are only borderline hyper, it's fiiine 😂

Posted (edited)

I have 5 before 12 Lunch time. I need 8 Hours had 9 last night :)

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

For me it's when I start to get a bit hyper :classic_ohmy: - nature's way of letting you know that maybe having that last double wasn't such a good idea. :classic_rolleyes:

The article linked to states that 400mg per day is a maximum but doesn't give a source for this recommendation.  It seems that it may come from the US Food and Drug Administration

I don't actually know how much caffeine I consume because I've not had the coffee I make assayed for caffeine content.  Caffeine content varies by bean type and extraction method.  If I follow Caffeine Informer's espresso level of 77mg from 7g of coffee then each mug I drink has 308mg of caffeine.   I'll usually have four or five of those a day plus additional caffeine from tea.  Most days my entire liquid intake is coffee and tea.

If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat.

Spiders on coffee

If you have a coffee habit and you go cold turkey you'll find out just how strong a drug it is.  I was quite surprised by the withdrawal symptoms and the fact they continued for over a week

The usual withdrawal symptom is  a headache. Prior to an espresso machine I drank a lot of tea and tried decaf for a while and wondered what was going on. Seems the headaches go after a while but I just went back to ordinary tea.

;) I still drink a lot more tea than coffee. It varies a bit. When it comes to caffeine keeping people awake I always remember picking up a girl friend at the time in my early teens from a St Johns Ambulance course. They were discussing what to give people who were in shock. They were told strong sweet tea as it has more caffeine in it than coffee. I think people will find that is fact when the raw materials are compared.  My own experiences suggest that a single mug bag of so called English Breakfast tea definitely has less caffeine in it than a brew but go to the usual teabag, mug followed by boiling water and personally I am not so sure.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

1 hour ago, Spazbarista said:

If you have a coffee habit and you go cold turkey you'll find out just how strong a drug it is.  I was quite surprised by the withdrawal symptoms and the fact they continued for over a week

Where have you been hiding Spaz, not seen or heard of you for yonks.

7 minutes ago, ajohn said:

The usual withdrawal symptom is  a headache. Prior to an espresso machine I drank a lot of tea and tried decaf for a while and wondered what was going on. Seems the headaches go after a while but I just went back to ordinary tea.

;) I still drink a lot more tea than coffee. It varies a bit. When it comes to caffeine keeping people awake I always remember picking up a girl friend at the time in my early teens from a St Johns Ambulance course. They were discussing what to give people who were in shock. They were told strong sweet tea as it has more caffeine in it than coffee. I think people will find that is fact when the raw materials are compared.  My own experiences suggest that a single mug bag of so called English Breakfast tea definitely has less caffeine in it than a brew but go to the usual teabag, mug followed by boiling water and personally I am not so sure.

John

-

The headache didnt bother me. I took an aspirin. Whst surprised me was the almost depression-like fatigue which lasted around a week. On some days I had to have a sleep mid-afternoon. I went caffeine free for about 4 months then relapsed, and when I stopped again the withdrawal symptoms were identical.  For sure, different people may experience different symptoms.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, El carajillo said:

Where have you been hiding Spaz, not seen or heard of you for yonks.

Hello!

Just not really been that interested in the coffee world I guess! I think the fun vs effort pendulum was swinging in the wrong direction with regards to the forum. Good to see that some of the best of the old guard are still alive and posting though! 👍

Edited by Spazbarista
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still drink a lot more tea than coffee. It varies a bit. When it comes to caffeine keeping people awake I always remember picking up a girl friend at the time in my early teens from a St Johns Ambulance course. They were discussing what to give people who were in shock. They were told strong sweet tea as it has more caffeine in it than coffee. I think people will find that is fact when the raw materials are compared.  My own experiences suggest that a single mug bag of so called English Breakfast tea definitely has less caffeine in it than a brew but go to the usual teabag, mug followed by boiling water and personally I am not so sure.
John
-
Yeah It's all down to what's being measured. A cup of coffee has more caffeine than a cup of tea but a kg of tea leaves has more caffeine than a kg of coffee beans.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

If you space the shots out over the whole day I have seen no ill side effects from drinking many shots. I can go through 4-6 doubles per day overall and can knock myself out at 22:30 without issue. It's when I consume multiple shots within a short period of time like an hour (ie when I am dialing in a roast on my grinder) that I feel the jittery effects and may take a little caution when proceeding forward. Overall common sense will probably be your best friend. 

-Ryan

"I'll throw my portafilter in the ring"

2018 Bosco Sorrento, 1964 Faema President 2 Gr, 1979 Gaggia Tell 2 Gr, 1991 La Pavoni PRG & Elektra MCAL, Olympus 75E, Quickmill Omre, Lido E, Virtuoso, 30+ Moka Pots, Chemex 8 cup, Siphon 5 Cup, French Press 1L, 75 espresso cups

On 26/08/2019 at 14:14, -Mac said:

There is way way too much of that sort of thing about in all areas but at least this one mentions the problems with doing studies like these in the conclusions. Some don't and often avoiding some particular thing down to these may even increase some ones risk of something else.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Another one, Interesting to see that the NHS is producing these

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/a-small-amount-of-coffee-will-not-dehydrate-you/

Like the conclusion say caffeine is known to be a diuretic. Most people know that alcohol is from the side effects of too much but people build up a tolerance to certain amounts. ;) Asprin tends to have the opposite affect especially if taken soon enough along with water.

Maybe they should have found 50 long term healthy Mormons as a control.

Forgot something else - what coffee? Instant, pour over, espresso, extraction levels and what bean. I find late night tea can have problems but a late night instant with 2 heaped spoonfuls in doesn't. Usually Kenko.

John

-

Edited by ajohn