sicknote

Stirling Coffee Peruvian Sale

13 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Do you know if they roast to order? I've not used them before.

I have not used them but the information on their page seems to indicate that is the case 

All our coffee is roasted within 72 hours of being ordered!!

Ordered 950gr. Thanks

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Same. Free shipping too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

The magical £15a kilo specialty coffee vendor.. 

One part of the website says all coffees score 80 plus, the other say 86 plus. 

Big difference in quality between those scores.

Personally I'd like to see just a tad more info than this coffee is Peruvian to convince me of its quality and traceability. 

They are channeling the anti hipster thing quite well, "we all know coffee tastes of coffee", and it's the poncey tasting notes that makes people charge more for it. 

That and those hipsters actually pay the farmer a bit more for a more traceable product. 

If you want good quality coffee at good prices from someone who has been in the game a long time, try James gourmet. 

Hope what you get you enjoy, just said my two Pence worth.

Just trying to make the point that not all coffee is equal. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

If it sounds to be too good to be true...

I typically don’t judge the roast by colour, but this doesn’t look even at all.
2637ad9214582c746797568ad5ad9803.jpg

8 minutes ago, PPapa said:

If it sounds to be too good to be true...

I typically don’t judge the roast by colour, but this doesn’t look even at all.
2637ad9214582c746797568ad5ad9803.jpg

Yeah £15 a kilo and free shipping will not be an 86 score coffee. 

The economics don't work. 

Not that that should put people off on itself but unless they are doing it out of the good of their heart then you can't buy an 86 plus coffee, roast it well, pay yourself a wage, have a building and pay  tax and offer free shipping over a tenner.

To those who bought from here, I know I sound churlish and little crappy, I just don't think that their marketing and info is accurate of what they are selling. 

• Like 2

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hmm... just saw that re quote photo from you Bootsie. If I had done that the coffee would have gone into the bin!

Looks like there might be problems with the green and an overly aggressive roast profile....but hey, what do I know.

• Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Fingers crossed that’s a stock image

Do James gourmet do kilo bags yet?

Posted (edited)

Perhaps it's easier to show and tell rather than just make a comment I can't back up. Rawandan Nyamulinda 808 cupped at 85.75, below are 3 examples being sold around the web of the exact same coffee and they are all around £26 per Kg. So it's unlikely a 86+ coffee is going to sell for £15 with free postage.

https://www.goldensheepcoffee.co.uk/shed/product.php?productid=17702

https://methodroastery.com/product/rwanda_nyamulinda/

https://www.kilted-coffee.com/products/rwanda-nyamulinda/

Just so you know what a coffee like this should look like when roasted, I was helping one of my roast trainees develop a profile on the Amazon Dalian for a coffee he bought with him (Nyamulinda 808).  A completely different look in terms of consistency, size colour, lack of scorching and defects. Yes it drinks fantastic, I am enjoying a cup right now. An incredibly rich and complex coffee, it is slightly below the price bracket I buy for myself but punches well above its price.

ZhaN1QIzqpbUaVrJBvToSE4dnX8CRtqtjXuBvJWJ

Please note, I did use the power control feature modded into my roaster to achieve this, although an unmodded roaster would achieve the same, just more air would need to be pulled in the hot weather we had a 3 weeks ago now....this might slightly affect the flavours e.g. slightly mute them.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

2 hours ago, KTD said:

Fingers crossed that’s a stock image emoji15.png

Do James gourmet do kilo bags yet?

you probably need to decide if you want 1kg suppliers only or not, not means you are limiting yourself. 

Anyway why not ask them

Instagram - rjw_inc

My spidey sense is telling me this is a one man band with a small home roaster trying to start a business. Lot’s of ‘we’ and the mention of ‘our coffeehouses up and down the land’ but look at the site on google streetmap. Probably wrote all his own reviews too. Bless.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Ok, this is the picture of peruvian beans from Google maps review images. They look promising than the stock picture above :))

Screenshot_20190818-171257.jpg

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

you probably need to decide if you want 1kg suppliers only or not, not means you are limiting yourself. 
Anyway why not ask them

Strange....Just didn’t want to add 4 bags if someone knew a different way of doing it and I ended up paying more by adding 4 250’s, why would I refuse to buy from companies who don’t sell kilos

10 minutes ago, KTD said:

Strange....Just didn’t want to add 4 bags if someone knew a different way of doing it and I ended up paying more by adding 4 250’s, why would I refuse to buy from companies who don’t sell kilos emoji2957.png

Sorry some people won't buy unless it's in 1kg bags...

What did you get 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Sorry some people won't buy unless it's in 1kg bags...
What did you get 

Am going with formula 6, Chapin and the Brazil egoacrigola(250 bags )

2 minutes ago, KTD said:

Am going with formula 6, Chapin and the Brazil egoacrigola(250 bags emoji23.png)

Got the Chapin here at mo. Nice choco nut base for milk drinks, well developed without exhibiting roast, imho

• Like 1

Instagram - rjw_inc

On 18/08/2019 at 17:16, Inspector said:

Ok, this is the picture of peruvian beans from Google maps review images. They look promising than the stock picture above :))

Screenshot_20190818-171257.jpg

Those look alright....

I cancelled my order as I had no contact at all, tbf to them they did refund them almost immediately when I asked for a refund via their PayPal email despite ignoring 3 other emails to their info address.

Anyway... look what turned up today... note the stone in the top left corner...not sure I’m going to bother!

5fd2e6748245357bf38507b4e75a1a71.jpg

Not looking good at all. I better cancel mine too. 

0d16184602120615a46f43018b175803.jpg

Flash off pic may be a fairer assessment as the flash highlights every imperfection

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KTD said:

Flash off pic may be a fairer assessment as the flash highlights every imperfection

My spidey sense might have been right.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 hour ago, KTD said:

I’m glad you got a refund... they’d be in my bin.

Ok i have received them on Thursday and had a chance to try. Beans looked slightly oily but it is not necessarily a bad thing is it? My beans seem a bit more even roasted than KTD's. 

Taste wise it is not bad. Was ok in a flat white. It was my first try tho still need to dial in. Used 18 on Niche. Need to go a tad coarser i guess. Made an aeropress this morning. Never seen that much co2 release before on any beans. Was like a jacuzzi 😂  Anyway all i can say i agree tasting notes. But more like caramel with spice and citrus rather than berries. Used 20grs beans 10 on Niche 50grs of water 1 min brew time with aeropress&fellow. I will play with them more later as i guess they are still quite fresh. 

IMG_20190823_100134.jpg