dopefish

Best espresso machine for 600€/550£?

4 hours ago, dopefish said:

Maybe when they stop the crowdfunding business.

I'm currently looking at the Eureka Mignon series. They seem to fit my needs. Trying to decide between the Silenzio and the Specialita (Perfetto grind dial seems gimmicky, even though it could be useful). Does the 50mm vs 55mm burrs matter in any other way than grind speeds? How are these with price/quality compared to e.g. Mazzer and Macap? The silenzio is 300£ and the Specialita 365£.

End of crowd funding won't mean you'll get a longer warranty...

Niche is Into 1000 plus grinders I think guessing world wide. Take from thst what you will. 

Mignons and niche should last you a while but there are more electric gizmos in the mignon if you are concerned about longevity, no digital screen to go wrong etc. 

Yes burrs size matters 50mm or 55mm are significantly different in quality to the niche larger conical burrs, IMHO. And the adjustment mech on the mignons is poor IMHO. 

• Like 2

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

10 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Yes burrs size matters 50mm or 55mm are significantly different in quality to the niche larger conical burrs, IMHO. And the adjustment mech on the mignons is poor IMHO. 

Yeah it took me moving from a Mignon to the Niche to realise this, the micrometric adjustment thing isn't all it's sold to be. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies :)

I guess the Niche is the grinder to get if you can cope with its looks. Not sure I'm there yet 😅

Does it really allow you to go from french press to espresso and back eadily and with no issues? 

Edited by dopefish

16 minutes ago, dopefish said:

I guess the Niche is the grinder to get if you can cope with its looks. Not sure I'm there yet 😅

Does it really allow you to go from french press to espresso and back eadily and with no issues? 

Yep.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@dopefish why not see if a member local to you has kit you can go and have a look at...

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, dopefish said:

Yes 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Double yes.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

7 minutes ago, Jony said:

Double yes.

Actually that was triple 😆

• Like 1

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 17/08/2019 at 14:51, lake_m said:

Yep.

On 17/08/2019 at 16:36, Jony said:

Double yes.

On 17/08/2019 at 16:44, lake_m said:

Actually that was triple 😆

Plenty to go around :)

Seems like the Niche is the grinder to get. Still, not sure if I'm ready to throw 500£ at it. Too many uncertainties (new product, 1 year warranty, Brexit etc.).

Currently also having a Compak K3 Touch Advanced for 300£ in mind. Anyone have experience with changing between grind settings on this one?

On 17/08/2019 at 14:51, DavecUK said:

@dopefish why not see if a member local to you has kit you can go and have a look at...

Only an option if you have a stray Dane about.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, dopefish said:

Plenty to go around :)

Seems like the Niche is the grinder to get. Still, not sure if I'm ready to throw 500£ at it. Too many uncertainties (new product, 1 year warranty, Brexit etc.).

Currently also having a Compak K3 Touch Advanced for 300£ in mind. Anyone have experience with changing between grind settings on this one?

Only an option if you have a stray Dane about.

You keep saying new product and warranty , if there were major problems with it  then these would tend to surface in the first 3 months ( like Baratza grinders ) . As with alot of grinders , they are pretty bomb proof in the home environment. Just out of interest how ling does a product need to be in the market place before it it trustworthy and how much of a warranty does ones need? 

Brexit - your a Dane , let us worry about that, we are the ones that have decided on self immolation :)

There are other grinders for sure out there, it's just given what you are looking for ( brewed and espresso , mi animal retention ), you are going to keep people saying niche. Anyhow  just decide , how much you want to spend and what you want it to do. 

Run with hopper , single dose , just espresso or brewed as well. They will lead you to a grinder you want to get and the cash you want to spend. 

Like any hopper fed espresso grinder a k3 will have retention each time you dial back and forth and it's adjustment mech isn't easily set up to go back and forth between coarse and fine as repeatable as the niche.  And the burr size and quality will not be the same as the Niche . It's a decaf type commercial grinder versus a home single dosing one. 

I get not wanting to spend £500 on a grinder  that is fine, just say your budget ( £300?  ) and accept that it will be a compromise on the things you want from it. 

=

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

Another option would be a dedicated grinder for espresso & another for pourover so you don't have to change back & forth when you fancy a different brew method. You could get a mignon & wilfa svart for less than a niche.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

1 hour ago, ashcroc said:

Another option would be a dedicated grinder for espresso & another for pourover so you don't have to change back & forth when you fancy a different brew method. You could get a mignon & wilfa svart for less than a niche.

I thought about the option, but it would end up very close to the Niche, and in the end I would prefer to have one superior product over two inferior ones.

2 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

You keep saying new product and warranty , if there were major problems with it  then these would tend to surface in the first 3 months ( like Baratza grinders ) . As with alot of grinders , they are pretty bomb proof in the home environment. Just out of interest how ling does a product need to be in the market place before it it trustworthy and how much of a warranty does ones need?

For a premium product I would expect at least 2 years warranty.

2 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Brexit - your a Dane , let us worry about that, we are the ones that have decided on self immolation :)

Well, I'm the one who has to worry if something in my machine breaks and I need it serviced or to acquire spare parts ;)

Buuuut... in the end you are all right. I would not be satisfied with any of the more affordable grinders. So I've bit the bullet and placed an order on the Niche. After rigorously questioning James about my concerns, of course.

I'm confident I will be happy with it, even though the price was a bit above my comfort zone. 

Now, will I have to remodel my kitchen to match it spaceship looks or just accept this little curiosity as it is?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@dopefish. You are certainly learning quickly, now just remember you will want a dual boiler, if you go entry level the Expobar Dual boiler is best avoided, it's an old design and well overdue a complete overhaul, as for a little more/same better machines are available.

Sounds like you might end up with a setup out of the gate that will actually deliver great spro and other drinks for a long time without the feeling you need to upgrade and without the sackcloth and ashes experience/self flagellation with lesser equipment for a year or two that some believe is a rite of passage. ;)

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Read up on here then shop around @dopefish your best getting hands on at Bella Barista, takes a while to really choose, and there is nothing quite like seeing something in the flesh and being able to compare it side by side with other machines.  Although part of the fun is often upgrading down the line, many people buy in haste or on trend, best to take your time and listen to a range of opinions.

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

Read up on here then shop around [mention=23082]dopefish[/mention] your best getting hands on at Bella Barista, takes a while to really choose, and there is nothing quite like seeing something in the flesh and being able to compare it side by side with other machines.  Although part of the fun is often upgrading down the line, many people buy in haste or on trend, best to take your time and listen to a range of opinions.
Do BB have a Danish branch?

4 hours ago, DavecUK said:

@dopefish. You are certainly learning quickly, now just remember you will want a dual boiler, if you go entry level the Expobar Dual boiler is best avoided, it's an old design and well overdue a complete overhaul, as for a little more/same better machines are available.

Sounds like you might end up with a setup out of the gate that will actually deliver great spro and other drinks for a long time without the feeling you need to upgrade and without the sackcloth and ashes experience/self flagellation with lesser equipment for a year or two that some believe is a rite of passage. ;)

I'm an avid black drinker so not sure a dual boiler will be used, apart from when having guests over. And they are mostly the kind that wouldn't be able to tell the difference between instant coffee and a fresh roast, so it would be a waste 😅

4 hours ago, jimbojohn55 said:

Read up on here then shop around @dopefish your best getting hands on at Bella Barista, takes a while to really choose, and there is nothing quite like seeing something in the flesh and being able to compare it side by side with other machines.  Although part of the fun is often upgrading down the line, many people buy in haste or on trend, best to take your time and listen to a range of opinions.

Yeah, no rush for now. Will take my time with the grinder and press coffee until the itch for espresso has to be scratched.

3 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Do BB have a Danish branch? emoji12.png

Never heard of it :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dopefish said:

I'm an avid black drinker so not sure a dual boiler will be used, apart from when having guests over. And they are mostly the kind that wouldn't be able to tell the difference between instant coffee and a fresh roast, so it would be a waste 😅

The reason for having a dual boiler is not whether you have black white or whatever coffee......but then you need to do some reading up on the various types of machines and their pros and cons.

19 minutes ago, dopefish said:

Yeah, no rush for now. Will take my time with the grinder and press coffee until the itch for espresso has to be scratched.

i've been meaning to chip in, and say spend more than you want on the grinder, and less on the coffee machine - for your needs I think you've made a great investment. 

My Niche is a few weeks from its first birthday, and it is worth three times what my coffee machine (second hand Gaggia Classic) is worth.  I agonized over spending that much but it is such an eye opener and has made a huge improvement.  I would love a dual boiler or a beautiful La Pavoni or Londinium, but as i also am only making one cup, twice a day economics do play into it ... :good:

1 hour ago, Agentb said:

i've been meaning to chip in, and say spend more than you want on the grinder, and less on the coffee machine - for your needs I think you've made a great investment. 

My Niche is a few weeks from its first birthday, and it is worth three times what my coffee machine (second hand Gaggia Classic) is worth.  I agonized over spending that much but it is such an eye opener and has made a huge improvement.  I would love a dual boiler or a beautiful La Pavoni or Londinium, but as i also am only making one cup, twice a day economics do play into it ... :good:

No...No they don't :)

On 14/08/2019 at 12:40, DavecUK said:

You might be too young to remember, but 35+ years ago  Rolex had two brands the "Air King" and the "Oyster Perpetual", the first was not a chronometer and was much cheaper, almost half the price (which even at half the price wasn't cheap). I knew many people who purchased an "Air King" when they really wanted an "Oyster Perpetual Chronometer". Eventually many of them did get the OP and took a huge hit on PXing the Air King (because they were hard to sell privately and dealers were doing you a favour to PX them and gave no discount on the new watch). Quite a few expressed the view that had they waited....the 600+ they paid for the Air King could have gone towards the Rolex and a £600 discount on a new Rolex was a fantastic deal.

Slightly odd, totally pointless and irrelevant comparison there. The air king was always a desirable watch, with a Rolex in house movement . Later it became a certified chronograph,  maybe it always was. Either way, it was an amazing watch no matter what Dave’s mates made of it, and probably sells better than an OP now. The moral? Buy what you like, buy what you’ll enjoy owning.

Casio calculator watch=buy what you might need to work out if you can pay the mortgage after spending too much on a coffee machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Casio calculator watch=buy what you might need to work out if you can pay the mortgage after spending too much on a coffee machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epic in all dimensions

No...No they don't
for some they do, especially if they have to buy new for some reason!

for some they do, especially if they have to buy new for some reason!
Surely the la pav will pay for itself eventually in electric savings from it's quick heat up & lack of pump.

• Like 1

I have stumbled upon several used Ascaso Dream machines (non PID versions) for 100£ or less used. One of them is 6 years old and seller writes it has only been used 3 times total.

Based on the specs, I know it's not a good machine by any means. But would it be a good starter/learner at 100£? They sell for 400-500£ new.